GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While unscrewing my gascap the other day, the plastic strap that holds the cap to the door broke off at the button on the door. Has anyone else had this problem? This is upsetting for such a new and expensive vehicle. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Mine was delivered with a broken gas cap tether. Took at back to the dealer the next day and it was fixed. No problems since then.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I haven't had this happen to my Acadia...yet. I have had that happen to previous cars and one I even intentionally broke off for more slack. I don't think much of the 30-40k price tag went toward the plastic gas cap strap. But with my experience it's not a GM thing, just a random car thing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
charge said:
I haven't had this happen to my Acadia...yet. I have had that happen to previous cars and one I even intentionally broke off for more slack. I don't think much of the 30-40k price tag went toward the plastic gas cap strap. But with my experience it's not a GM thing, just a random car thing.

heh... it's a GM thing, as they hold the patent on plastic gas cap straps

:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
My gas cap strap broke after the 4th fill up. Everything else on the vehicle has worked perfectly, so I haven't lost too much sleep over some cheap plastic. Once I find some motivation I think a $.01 tie strap should fix the issue.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Mine broke off yesterday. :mad: About 2500 miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine broke off after the 1st fill up with ~400 miles on the vehicle. It's on the list for my first service visit ;)

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Geez... what are you guys doing to that poor lil gas cap? I have nearly 6,000 miles and a gas cap that is still in tact. Though, now that I posted something... I probably just jinxed myself.

Personally, I often find the gas cap attachment annoying. I know it has benefits of say, not leaving your gas cap behind. But it seems to make it awkward to remove from the vehicle.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I actually broke mine off on purpose on the sierra. When I took it in for the 50,000 mile service they replaced it under warranty. Once they a little dirty the don't rotate as well, then it make pit stop fast refueling a little slower.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Mine broke off last week. I agree with and earlier post...a $.01 tie strap would probably hold it better. Must not be bothering me to bad...I was at the GMC dealership yesterday to pick up a oil filter for my 2nd oil change and I forgot to ask them for the little plastic expansion plug to fix it.

Such a small issue...just love that ACADIA!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had the Acadia in for service yesterday and they HAD TO ORDER the part for the tether !! Can you believe it? So I have to make another trip.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had my gas cap replaced for the same reason; the pin that holds the tether pulled out and was lost. However the replacement cap is different and will not have that problem. The dealer said the wrong gas cap had been installed at the factory. Works like a charm now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re: Broken Gas Cap - Photos Added

How is the new cap different? I got my replacement today and personally I feel as if it is for a different vehicle and they just pushed it into any hole they could find. The actual tether seems to get caught constantly in the filler door when you try to close it (was testing out the whole deal). Take a look...anyone think I should say something to the dealer? The hole where the original one connected is the round one on the door "hinge". They removed the plastic mounting that the expansion plug had fit into to secure the plastic strap.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Interesting photo. My tether is located next to the gas filler hole. The tether actually retracts into the body of the vehicle and is not attached to the filler door at all. Kinda surprised me the first time but I like this setup better. Is mine unusual?

·
Registered
11 Posts
OK, I called the dealer and complained about the job they did on this. Then he went and looked at a new Acadia and saw the new tethers are mounted inside the filler door near the cap itself, no longer on the filler door. He tells me there is a small hole to the right of the cap. Of course mine does not have this hole and he says they will make a professional looking hole for the tether if I go back today...and maybe there was a bulletin or something out he didn't see...(don't you think he should have looked before he did the shabby repair??)

I told him it had better not look like "who done it and ran" when he is done and maybe he should just order the new part with the hole already in it right off the bat. For the $$ I paid for this vehicle I DO NOT want a butcher job done by the service department. I am stopping by there later today to look at the new Acadia and discuss the "hole making" process with them...

:eek:hno: :eek:hno: UPDATE the dealer just called and said "yes, there is a bulletin out and the entire assembly (cap & mounting plate) must be replaced. He is ordering the whole thing for me- should get it next week sometime. :eek:hno: :eek:hno:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts