GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So… we literally drove this home from the dealership on Tuesday, then to grab dessert on Wednesday, and today, while sitting and setting up my driver profile this happened… the car had been idling for about 15 minutes totally normal and out of nowhere. Has anyone had this happen?!? Already called the dealership, hoping they really make this worth while to keep it!

Standby while I figure out how to post a video, sounds like rod knock to me but goes away around 1200-1500 rpm

·
Super Moderator
23,548 Posts
Sounds like the noise is high in the engine, so probably not a rod knock. Could be something worked by a camshaft is starved for oil (valve lifter, rocker arm, etc.). Did you check the oil level?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sounds like the noise is high in the engine, so probably not a rod knock. Could be something worked by a camshaft is starved for oil (valve lifter, rocker arm, etc.). Did you check the oil level?
Yeah oil level is normal, and like I said it goes away with Rpm which also makes me thing it’s oiling related

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Does not sound like a rod knock. As the camera moves away, it almost sounds like a bad idler pulley.

That's why vehicles come with a warranty. Parts do fail out of the box. Back when my wife bought her '14 Forester, the HVAC fan failed the first week she had it.

Not sure what the OP means by hoping the dealer makes it worth while to keep.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Yeah oil level is normal, and like I said it goes away with Rpm which also makes me thing it’s oiling related
Sorry to hear and it is disappointing to say the least. Hope they can resolve it quickly. Disheartening to say the least.

Agree it sounds like some sort of top end noise. What with the AFM hardware, VVT and other engine tech only a professional diagnosis will be able to tell.

Thank you for posting this though.

·
Super Moderator
23,548 Posts
... As the camera moves away, it almost sounds like a bad idler pulley.
Interesting guess - and possible. Might even be a bad pulley on the belt tensioner. Would be a plus if either was the case (no engine tear down required ;)).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does not sound like a rod knock. As the camera moves away, it almost sounds like a bad idler pulley.

That's why vehicles come with a warranty. Parts do fail out of the box. Back when my wife bought her '14 Forester, the HVAC fan failed the first week she had it.

Not sure what the OP means by hoping the dealer makes it worth while to keep.
I mentioned hoping they make it worth while because of the back and forth we had to come to an agreement on this car but also assuming the worst, I would be thrilled to find out its Nothing major it’s just an inconvenience (I’m also bitter because my gf has gotten to drive it and I haven’t even gone around the block yet ☹ Lol) really do hope it’s a quick non invasive fix!

·
Super Moderator
23,548 Posts
... Parts do fail out of the box. ...
Or right after off-loading from the truck! I was taking a new '75 Camaro to customer delivery cleanup when the clutch decided to turn itself into shredded wheat. Worst part was getting the burnt 'bestos smell out of the car before giving it the proud new owner.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: dealership could not recreate the sound, we’ve had the car for 3 weeks now and have not been able to reproduce the issue as well so we’re taking that as a win, we’re about 400 miles into ownership and we love it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts