GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have brakes grind within a month of purchase. We ran into a light rain and had grinding starting. Took to shop they diagnosed it with wet brakes when starting in morning. It’s been two months still haven’t gotten my upgrade pads from them was told on list of 30 people infront of us. Not to mention there poor phone service when originally called about it was told yeah we been told there doing that do you still want it looked at. Then the most recent call was well we got you as squealing brakes no there grinding your mechanic said that day they needed changed. So my question is are these car pad eating monster or was it a bad quality pad. Not to mention in my opinion poor service reps.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Some rotors will get a light rust on the surface after sitting all night in the damp. The first stop or two will clean them.

On a 21 you should have a rotor that has been Treated so rust should be minimal But a little can happen.

These are not brake eating monsters.

There have been complaints on the Acadia and a number of 21 models due to the copper being removed from the pads. Copper has been banned by the government as they feel it is not environmentally safe any longer. But this also creates poor quality pads. This is not just a GM issue as all are dealing with it now. That is likely your issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some rotors will get a light rust on the surface after sitting all night in the damp. The first stop or two will clean them.

On a 21 you should have a rotor that has been Treated so rust should be minimal But a little can happen.

These are not brake eating monsters.

There have been complaints on the Acadia and a number of 21 models due to the copper being removed from the pads. Copper has been banned by the government as they feel it is not environmentally safe any longer. But this also creates poor quality pads. This is not just a GM issue as all are dealing with it now. That is likely your issue.
Thank you for the info that makes more sense than what a Service Shop saying Yeah we heard that happening. Just can’t believe a pad gonna wear with not even 3,000 miles on them.

·
Super Moderator
22,619 Posts
Blame it on the 'greenies.' Pretty soon brake manufacturers will be forced to make brake pads from hemp. That'll give a whole new meaning to "smoking the brakes." LOL

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thank you for the info that makes more sense than what a Service Shop saying Yeah we heard that happening. Just can’t believe a pad gonna wear with not even 3,000 miles on them.
I have not seen all involved but the noise has been a complaint. We have avoided it so far with ours.

What the shop said sounded a bit odd.

if you wear a brake down you generally will hear a squeal from the wear indicator. Now of it is the other pad the grinding will be much heavier.

·
Super Moderator
22,619 Posts
I switched from asbestos to metallic pads on another vehicle years ago. Noise the metallic pads made when cold or wet was annoying, but had no noticeable effect on wear.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would spend the money for some aftermarket high performance pads made with ceramic and carbon fiber. You will need a complete set for all 4 wheels. Make sure your dealer will install them or go to an independent shop. GMC will have you running in circles for weeks-months.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is a Technical Service Bulletin out on this issue. I took mine into the dealer and they replaced the front pads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone have brakes grind within a month of purchase. We ran into a light rain and had grinding starting. Took to shop they diagnosed it with wet brakes when starting in morning. It’s been two months still haven’t gotten my upgrade pads from them was told on list of 30 people infront of us. Not to mention there poor phone service when originally called about it was told yeah we been told there doing that do you still want it looked at. Then the most recent call was well we got you as squealing brakes no there grinding your mechanic said that day they needed changed. So my question is are these car pad eating monster or was it a bad quality pad. Not to mention in my opinion poor service reps.
There is a service bulletin out for brake grinding. We bought a 21 Acadia and had the pads replaced no more grinding. Try searching for service bulletin #21-NA-142: if you don’t find it let me know and I will see if I can post a pic of the bulletin. It did take them about a month to get new pads in for use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts