GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new-to-me 2011 SLT with 142k miles. Kinda figuring out all the quirks of this car at the moment. Currently wondering about this brake pedal noise. I've read other threads about it, but no videos to compare the sound to mine. Is this what others have talked about? Do I start with a brake flush, and then move on to master cylinders and brake booster from there? Or is this just spray some lube where the pedal is bolted in?

·
Registered
2013 Acadia SLT1 "Andy"
55 Posts
Traverse did that and I just lubed it up. Make sure ya don't get the lube on the pedal.. someone may have a better solution

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
yup, thats the noise.
theres a post somewhere - how a member used a hose/straw to lube- and get rid of noise.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Our 16 Denali does the same. I read a post somewhere that GM used a newly designed brake fluid that ultimately caused this issue and the sound is coming from the plunger assembly. Allegedly if you bleed the system out and replace (ensuring no air gets in) the fluid with standard DOT 3 or 4 (can't remember what it calls for on the Acadia) it will rectify the issue. I mentioned this to a GM Service tech when getting our AC unit replaced and he said he was very familiar with the issue, and had also heard of the solution I stated, and said it will work for awhile, as the standard fluid does indeed do something different to fix the squeak. However, he said it will ultimately come back. They have had repeat customers with the same issue get it fixed, then come back. He said to his knowledge the only solution is to replace the whole assembly the plunger is part of with an updated design.

I never dove farther than that as it sounded like a headache, and costly. Ours does it, but not quite as loud/often as your video.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
I remember that bulletin. I went out and bought the AC DELCO fluid (It listed a part #).
I did the brake fluid drain/refill. It did indeed get rid of the noise for a while.
It eventually came back. It was a couple of years maybe.....

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
heres the thread with the info.... I think that fluid part # has been replaced.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Agree .. the newer brake fluid would likely do the trick. If OP's Acadia had fluid replaced with some off the shelf no name brand, who knows what it may have been.

We had that kind of squeak in one of wife's cars some years back. I wanted to have the brake fluid changed anyway so had the dealer do the complete bleed and refill. No more squeak after that and the brake pedal felt more firm and sure when applied.

I've always never gone more than 4 years on brake fluid usually. Some say to bleed and replace the brake fluid even every 2 years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts