GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We purchased a 2008 Black SLT-2 Acadia last night. It has the following options: HUD, HID Lamps, Trailering Package and Dual skyroof. It was a demonstrator car so it has 6,600 miles on it. It was listed for $42,065 but with GM employee pricing and a little more off for the miles we got it for $35,700. We also got $5,500 for our '02 Ford Explorer as a trade-in with 77,000 miles on it.

This Acadia has brick leather interior - which I don't hate or love - it's just different to me. Hope I don't regret that choice.

·
Registered
117 Posts
In my opinion---Ya' done good. Congrats. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
It's an Acadia. Of course you did good!! Seriously though. You did good!!! Congratulations!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Congratulations and welcome aboard :cheers: I agree that "Ya' done good"...in fact REAL GOOD! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
The AWD usually adds about $2K to the MSRP if I recall correctly. Based on your option descriptions, I'd say you got a good deal for a FWD & a great deal for the AWD, the icing on the cake was the $5500 for the Exploder.

I hear you can really increase the value of the brick interior if you get the current season NBA Champions to autograph the seats. ;D j/k :D :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't think you did well at all... its a USED CAR with 6600 miles on it. All these dealers / sales guys beat on these. Mine was listed for $43800 and we bought ours new for cash for $38031 out the door with 16 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Dealers & the DMV generally don't look at a vehicle with the manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO) as a used vehicle. We discussed demos in another thread here, and the consensus was that dealers generally don't take much off the price, to the point where it would be better to buy a new one w/o the miles. Each deal is different, though, as they might have got it for $2,000 less and then only got $3,000 for the trade-in.

In summary, they got a good price on the unit, and more than expected for the trade-in.

I stand by my assessment of the deal given the details provided.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Basically they got a USED Acadia for Invoice (ie employee pricing) ie the same price as a new Acadia can be aquired for with the employee pricing deals.

They got fair trade value, maybe even less money then book, given details on the Exploder.

Never buy a DEMO as the dealers drive these like rental beaters and have no respect for them. Is not a New Car or USED car definition.... by the DMV the FACT is, that this CAR IS USED. So who cares what the DMV or the MSO states, it is still used.

BLUE 2009 you even state "to the point where it would be better to buy a new one w/o the miles. " You are correct!

Bascially they got a car that the the wear and tear items such as belts, tires , brakes etc. have 6600 milles on them.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Wanda, I think you received a very good deal, IMO. You posted and many have there own thoughts with such an open question. If you feel you did good,, that is all that matters!

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
It boils down to market values & unit availability. If there were no other 2008 AWD models so equipped within her area, the employee pricing on others is moot since they are not making 2008 models anymore. If the same equipped model was available, she could have found a better deal with fewer miles. The fact is, she bought a new vehicle with corresponding warranty, not a used one where they may be able to transfer warranty. The 6K miles equates to about 40% of the "average" 15K mile year, or 50% of a 12K mile year. You can try & tell the dealer it's a used car and offer $2K~$10K less. See how far you get with that strategy and let us know. It didn't work for me on a new/demo 2008 Saturn XR in Illinois w/ 4K miles. There are still some "new" 2007 Dodge models with under 1K miles on dealer lots here in FL for some reason.

The blanket demo=abuse does not always apply. Having worked at several dealers, I know that the demos used by the parts/service managers were always driven by older guys that treated the vehicles well. Those subjected to frequent road tests of course would be in a different category, but they tended to be sold within 1K miles or so. The ones that got miles on them were driven by the same employee, who usually took good care of the vehicle.

Right after I stated "...to the point where it would be better to buy a new one w/o the miles. " I said Each deal is different, though,... Re-read the first three sentences of this reply as needed until this concept for this situation can be grasped.

My uncle has sold used cars for over 53 years. His motto is "Everyone drives a used car." Think about it. Once it leaves the line, it is "used".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts