GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, My wife and I are in the market for a new car/SUV. We've looked around and keep coming back to the Acadia. It is perfect for our needs. (7 Passenger) and for our budget. Our only fear is what we have seen on this forum, and in other places on the internet. With the transmision, and the leaks in the front. We are looking at getting a SLE not the SLT, so not really worried about the leak from the Sunroof, since we both don't want one. We are just worried about the other leaks that I have read out there. And of course the Tranny. From what I read it just sounds like the tranny issue is just the "brain" not working right/shifting wrong. And not trannys going bad.
Bottom Line, is it worth it? or should we look somewhere else.
Note. We are aware of Leak issues, on GMs. my wife's car is a 2000 Grand Am, and the leaks on that thing have been a pain for years.
What else should we know about this SUV before we take the plunge?

Harleyman.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I think the leak issues have been addressed. Mine were and I haven't had a problem since. I personally think it was worth it. I can load up kids and adults and go. It is a MUCH better car than my Volvo and has been in the shop twice for problems. They were fixed in a day each. The Volvo was is the shop at least a month the first year. I have had mine exactly one year and have been very happy. It was a GREAT buy on our part.

Good luck!

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have an 07 SLE and I have had no mechanical problems to date, and the car now has about 18,000 miles on it. Mine is an AWD with the trailer package,and other options to bring it closer to the SLT in accessories. I paid about $28,500 for it, and I think it is a very well equipped car for that amount of money. I think the Acadia is a great car for what I paid, but I wouldn't pay $45,000 since I don't believe it's a $45,000 car even loaded. On the plus side it has a lot of room for passengers and cargo. It is very comfortable on a trip, the ride is as good or better than any other car I've owned, and that includes some expensive ones also. The handling is good for a vehicle of it's size, but it's no sports sedan either. The tranny is not a big problem for me, but an occassional annoyance. I have not had the latest upflash, and probably won't. The acceleration is about average, but is fine. The fuel mileage is around 15-17 in very mixed driving, and in the low to mid twenties on the open road. If you need the room the Acadia offers it's worth considering, but if you don't need a vehicle as big as the Acadia I would look at something more economical and smaller.

·
Registered
812 Posts
do your research, not only in this forum but on all other site pertaining the Acadia... i did mine for almost a year till i settled on one, the vehicle may not be up to the standards of the competition in terms of build quality and refinement but when it comes to looks,versatility and space for the average family, it wins hands down... but bear in mind, that electrical glitches are very common with this vehicle and do some noises.... and the the tranny takes time getting used to.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Harleyman, our SLE, FWD is almost a year old, 15,000 miles, and only had the transmission update in Oct last year. Wife gets 18/19 city and trips, 22/23mpg summer weather temps. Gasoline is NON ETHENOL formulated, so get at least 2mpg more. Keep tires pumped at 38-40 lbs. Ride is nice and body style has class. We love our Acadia!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice guys (and Gals). We are going to shop around some more at some of the others out there, but so far the Acadia is leading the pack on what we want to get. It helps when I'm a GM guy, (got an 88 Camaro IROC) and well GM right now is offering us some good deals with me being in the military, and on the trade in, and customer loyalty (wife's car) So it just might be the Acadia.

Keep it coming!

Harleyman

·
Registered
126 Posts
Harleyman96 said:
Hello All, My wife and I are in the market for a new car/SUV. We've looked around and keep coming back to the Acadia. It is perfect for our needs. (7 Passenger) and for our budget. Our only fear is what we have seen on this forum, and in other places on the internet. With the transmision, and the leaks in the front. We are looking at getting a SLE not the SLT, so not really worried about the leak from the Sunroof, since we both don't want one. We are just worried about the other leaks that I have read out there. And of course the Tranny. From what I read it just sounds like the tranny issue is just the "brain" not working right/shifting wrong. And not trannys going bad.
Note. We are aware of Leak issues, on GMs. my wife's car is a 2000 Grand Am, and the leaks on that thing have been a pain for years.

Harleyman.
Thanks!
Harleyman, It probably has been stated before, but a forum like this is not an 'unbiased' sampling of users. Most folks are going to post when they have an issue. I do not have a sunroof. I will have the Acadia 1-year in May. Zero leaks and no major problems. I have been in for one service visit (completed Maint. I, fixed my heated windshield washer mechanism, and completed the tranny flash). I am due for Maint. II this month.

At first the tranny was very annoying, until I got the tranny flash in Sept. 07. It made a huge difference. Today, at times when accelerating, it doesn't shift exactly how I would like, but that is a programming issue. The tranny is very smooth. As others have stated, it is not a race car. It has enough power to get you around, but it is not a performance vehicle. I have been VERY impressed with how the vehicle handles and drives. I love it. It has worked great for our family. I do think GM could do a better job with the tranny PROGRAMMING, but the tranny mechanically has been great.

I think there are many other quality CUV's out there. The Acadia is one of them, in my opinion. We wanted a usable 3rd row, and after researching vehicles, we liked the Acadia. I consider myself more of an American car person, so I was biased a bit towards the GMC. I woudl recommend taking many test drives in the Acadia and see if the shift pattern is ok with you. After researching the right vehicles for your family, I would go 'with your gut' on the one that feels right.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Had my 08 slt2 since Oct29th, just hit 6500 miles. 1 problem with a taillight, but no other issues with tranny, cams, leaking sunroof or any other problems for that matter.
I love driving it and get compliments on it all the time.

KNOCK ON WOOD!!!! I am doing great, and would do it again if I had to, (OR HAD THE $ TO REPLACE THE WIFES CAR)[/color]

LONG LIVE THE ACADIA

·
Registered
111 Posts
Harleyman96 said:

Harleyman.
Thanks!
I just got back from a 200 mile trip through the Adirondacks and Berkshires. The truck was an absolute dream to drive. I especially love it as a highway crusier. The tap-to-pass feature is cool. Sound system is great. Handling is awesome. The vehicle makes a hard drive easy. And I think it's one of the sharpest looking vehicles on the road.

I've had my SLT-1 a year now, and the new car fun still hasn't worn off. Have a sunroof, and it never leaked. And I've never had the tranny reflashed, Just never had any problem with it. In fact, I've never been back to the dealer for service --having it done a local Quick-Lube.

I think you'll love the Acadia if you get it. Good luck with yur decision.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Mine was built May 2007 and I have had zero issues with the car. It has been a great choice for me. In fact, I am halfway tempted to replace our other car with another Acadia. I got the silver but still like that red.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Other than oil changes and tire rotation, the only thing I have had done to ours is the transmission flash. And the fact is that if it had not been for this forum, I would not have even noticed anything wrong with that either. I am continually looking for leaks and keep my ears open for rattles and noises, but cannot find anything. It is just a great car.

Also - I just looked at Consumer Reports to see what they think.

The Acadia gets a "recommended buy" right up there with Infiniti FX, Honda Pilot, and the Acura MDX.
Some that don't get a "recommended buy" are the Toyota Highlander, Mazda CX-9, Volvo XC-90, and many others.

Bottom line is that this car is one of the best and all cars will have a few issues like are pointed out in this forum. Good luck hunting!!!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
GAR said:
Bottom line is that this car is one of the best and all cars will have a few issues like are pointed out in this forum. Good luck hunting!!!
And as someone else has pointed out. Small issues or a relatively low amount of occurances of small issues are only elaborated and emphasized more on a site like this. Of the almost 100,000 Acadias sold, many people are not very likely to get on here and talk about how good their Acadia is vs talking about the problems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought a 2008 Red Jewel Titanium leather SLT AWD and had it for a month now. I can honestly say that so far it's been everything I expected, wanted and more. Worth every penny. DH absolutely loves it. We got rid of my 4Runner for the Acadia and he hated the 4Runner.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The only issue I have about my Acadia is the noise level. I may have selected an Enclave if I had test driven one prior to our Acadia purchase.

Other than that, my SLT is running great (60 days...) and no leaks after a couple of heavy downpours.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Newbie owner of 2008 Acadia SLT1 Redjewel AWD for all but 3 weeks. Runs awesome,
110% fully satisfied and more :)

Early still but for me it was worth it and then some more :thumb:

·
Registered
956 Posts
We have had ours for 15 mos. and 18,000 miles. We have had no problems to date. The mileage out on the open road is decent, but if your driving in primarily in town with a lot of starts and stops the mileage will not be very good. This is a heavy car car and it takes a lot of energy to move it from a stop. If you need the room and space on a regular basis this is a great vehicle, but if you don't need a car this large and fuel mileage is important, I would look at something a little smaller and lighter for better gas mileage.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I agree with big bear we have had ours from last april and had no problems but it is a very heavy car or cuv and it does not get the best m.p.g. but if you look at the sticker for the average it is pretty close. We didn't buy it for fuel economy but for room and how quiet it was and the ride.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've had my '08 SLE since Nov 07 and have been very happy with it. I think it is the best looking SUV/CUV out there and I'm still very happy with the interior styling as well. It has proved to be extremely flexible for my family. We use it for a nice evening out for my wife and I. We use it for hauling around my 2 little boys to all of our daily and weekly activities. We use it for hauling around extra family that has come to town (including my brother and his wheel chair). Just this past weekend, I picked up a huge "slice seeder" from the rental store. With the 3rd row down, it slid right in and I didn't have to get the boys car seats out of the second row. This weekend, we'll use it for a weekend trip where we'll be taking a huge stroller, a "pack-n-play", and who knows how much other "stuff". All-in-all, we've used it with just about every seat configuration you can think of with different seats up and down to be able to haul differing loads of people and cargo. The 3rd row 60/40 split has been key to a lot of our uses. Without that, we likely would have had to use 2 vehicles several times.

It drives very comfortably and quietly. It utilizes its size very efficiently, but doesn't feel huge. The free 1yr trial of OnStar turn-by-turn has been very handy in several situations.

It may not be completely perfect, but I feel like most of the compromises are pretty good ones.

I'd like for the mileage to be better (but it is a 2.5 ton hunk of stuff, so not too unexpected). I'd like for the engine to have a bit more torque to compensate for the tranny programming. Knock on wood, but so far we haven't had any of the major problems some others have reported.

Thus far, it definitely has been worth it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I took delivery of my 08 SLT Nov 15, 2007 and I haven't had to take it to the dealer for anything. It has been fabulous. We've probably had a total of 10 people (strangers off the street) come up to us and ask us about it. I've had it in horrendous Colorado weather (so bad roads were closed and we need to stay in small town unexpectedly), skiing, hauling particle board, etc. It is an awesome car.

I have 3 "issues":
* I wish the gas mileage was a little better.
* It's a little big. Not every available parking space can accomodate it. (I have high standards. I've sworn enough at monster trucks parked so close to me I've had to get in on the passenger side (not with the Acadia - a previous car) that I made a solemn vow I would never do that to anyone.)

Jim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts