GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else find the Bose sound system a bit too muffled and bassey. I fidget with the EQ but still, the sound does not compare to the Bose system in my previous Nissan Pfinder, or my current Maxima. Which are 9 years old. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I think it sounds better than the Bose system in my '01 Pathfinder. Of course, that could be because I have an aftermarket head unit in the Pathfinder because the original CD changer crapped out.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Even though everybody has their own tastes as to how things sound, the same systems in different cars will sound different due to the size of the cars, the amount of seats, carpet, plastic, etc. There have been some posts on the forum where people have added their own amps and subwoofers to tweak the sound more to their likeing.
I find that I tend to change the front/rear settings more often, now that I have dialed in the bass/treble the way I like it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It does seem to be too front-heavy with the fader in the middle. And, even though it's "front-heavy" it doesn't seem to have a good center-stage feel to it. Also, the FM sounds more "stereo" than the XM.

·
Registered
9 Posts
the sound is somewhat metallic i think. the sound is not bad, but could be better
the boston accoustics system i had in my previous car had a more natural sound.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The front heavy, is right on the money. I adjusted more fade to the back and the system sounds a bit better, more balanced. Thanks, a simple solution to my problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think the XM sounds a bit hollow compared to regular FM or an iPod hooked up. Although, this weekend the sound seemed to improve as we were driving our son to camp...sort of like XM put out a power boost of quality sound.

·
Registered
113 Posts
XM actually did improve. Read the following:

XM Radio Upgrades Its Sound Quality of the Music Channels Starting August 5th

XM STATEMENT REGARDING SOUND QUALITY
UPGRADE FOR XM MUSIC CHANNELS
• XM will implement a sound upgrade on August 5th.
• In partnership with Neural Audio, XM has implemented a new upgraded audio processor for its music channels, resulting in a fuller and richer sound across the more than 70 XM music channels.
• This upgrade has been in development for over a year.
• Listeners may need to make adjustments to their audio settings (Bass and Treble) for their individual radios to fully experience these sound enhancements.

SOUND QUALITY UPGRADE: Q & A
Why does my XM radio sound different?
XM and partner Neural Audio implemented a new upgraded audio processor for its music channels, resulting in improved sound quality. You may have to adjust your audio settings (Bass and Treble) on your XM radio to meet your own preferences. Once you do so, you should experience improved sound.

Why did XM implement this change?
We’re always striving to enhance quality of our sound. Over the year, XM has been working closely with the sound experts at Neural Audio to implement this sound upgrade. Our extensive testing indicates this upgraded package will deliver an enhanced audio experience.

How is this better or different?
This upgrade should make your XM music channels sound even better by delivering a fuller, richer music experience.

Does XM have plans to upgrade the sound of its news, sports or talk channels?
XM is always striving to enhance our sound quality and we will continue to upgrade our sound in the future. The timing of those upgrades is to be determined at a later date.

Is this just more of XM compressing music channels to gain bandwidth?
These enhancements are purely fidelity improvements, no bandwidth efficiencies were derived as a result of these improvements.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I ran a RCA hookup from the rear AUX inputs in the back into my iPod. Perhaps it was just my imagination, but the sound seems better than when I ran the hookup into the front AUX input on the NAV unit.

It could also have been my cheap Chinese cable that I was using for the front Aux input.

As for the front heavy sound, I have to agree. I put the fade a bit to the back, and it sounds better to me.

Just my opinion - take it for what its worth. :cheers:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Over the weekend I switched to FM, and noticed is did not sound as powerful or full as the XM. Just as my subscription was going to expire, and I was going to let it. Now I may need to reconsider.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Nice catch marc.

Some of the XM boards are suggesting: "raise the midrange, drop the treble, and boost the bass quite a bit if you want to know the change needed on your system."[/color]

(XM STATEMENT REGARDING SOUND QUALITY
UPGRADE FOR XM MUSIC CHANNELS
• XM will implement a sound upgrade on August 5th.
• In partnership with Neural Audio, XM has implemented a new upgraded audio processor for its music channels, resulting in a fuller and richer sound across the more than 70 XM music channels.
• This upgrade has been in development for over a year.
• Listeners may need to make adjustments to their audio settings (Bass and Treble) for their individual radios to fully experience these sound enhancements[/color].)

I haven't drove the Acadia yet since the sound change, but will try these changes.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've never had Bose or any other "high end" systems in any of my previous cars. So, all I can add is that this is the best sounding car I've ever had ;D

·
Registered
2 Posts
it's o.k. for me ::)....just wish it had more "power" to it though......
guess i'm just to used to my other car's sound system.... :D

·
Registered
425 Posts
I didn't get a chance to really let the speakers go since my wife and kids were always in the car with me during all the test drives. However, at "normal" levels, I thought it sounded just fine (Radio Disney was the only channel we listened to in both test drives though). I will have to put in my Megadeath and Slayer CDs once I get it to really test it out. :rock:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Much better I must say. Ok. After adjusting the eq. and fade levels, I am now convinced that most of the problem I was having was with the sound of the XM system. Since XM has "fixed" the sound quality, I am much happier with the way the system sounds, and to be honest it's no longer an issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi All,
Picked up a 2008 SLT2, blue-gold, HID, DVD, and trailer package. I also am not overly impressed with the sound quality of the Bose system. My previous car had a Boston Acoustics system that was far superior in overall sound quality. Has anyone here upgraded their speakers to an aftermarket manufacturer such as Boston Acoustics, Infinity Kappa or others? I'm interested in doing this but not having my door panels and dash torn apart to accomplish it. Any constructive input is welcome.

Smoothdome

·
Registered
730 Posts
To start with, I do not have a Bose system. I am not huge fan of stock speakers, amp, and head unit.
I just replaced my speakers..6.5 inch components up front, 6.5 inch coaxials at rear. Added an aftermarket amp, too.
I was just surprised how el cheapo the stock speakers are. A couple pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
SMOOTHDOME said:
Has anyone here upgraded their speakers to an aftermarket manufacturer...
Yes, I changed out all four door speakers (put in Clarions). It's not a big deal to do but there is not much depth available in the front with the glass down (so I cannibalized the stock speaker frames in the front and mounted the clarions to the coneless frame.). 2 or 3 screws then the door trim pops off just by tugging around the edges. I didn't add an amplifier and feel like it needs more power. I did just get a small powered subwoofer that I will mount under the seat but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. The dash comes apart even easier. Having done it a few times now, I can probably get the radio out in about 30 seconds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Kram&jseck2,
Thanks for the replies. Kram, did you mount the tweeter portion of the component speakers in the pillars on either side of the front windshield? What type of aftermarket amp was added and how many channel? With the Bose you get a 10 speaker system therefore a multichannel amp would be needed, perhaps two amps. I think that if I pursue an upgrade I would replace the front doors(with components), the rear doors, and maybe the center. The rear speakers(in the back) I would leave as is. I agree with jseck2 that more often than not an aftermarket amp really is needed to bring the most out of your speakers. I had added a SAS bazooka tube subwoofer to a previous vehicle and the additional bass really added a 3rd dimention to the sound, sweet. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but would probably pay to have the equipment installed. My concern being that the installers not scratch a thing, I am very picky about that. Kram, did you have yours installed or did you do it yourself, I see the jseck2 did his own. Thanks in advance.

Smoothdome

1 - 20 of 24 Posts