GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any differences in the 10 speaker systems that come with the DVD Entertainment System, and the one that just comes standard on the SLT... other than Dolby 5.1 surround???

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
I think they're the same, except you lose the option of having the 6 disc in-dash changer w/ DVD player. You technically get a "2 disc changer" since you have two slots and the DVD slot can also play CDs. This isn't all that big a deal, though, since you can burn MP3 CDs and get about 10-11 cd's worth of music on a single disc (I do this in my G, in fact, I have 4 of my 6 discs filled with MP3 discs, or about 40 CDs worth...)

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Or you can plug an iPod or other mp3 player into the aux jack. I have about 3,000 songs on my iPod.

Kelly

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Between our Ipod, PS3, portable DVD player, and laptop, I don't think we'll need a 6-disc changer or entertainment system........though I do like 10 speakers with a subwoofer :D

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Does the folder information show on the screen for the cd's with mp3's on them?

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Joe, I haven't even tried one in there yet. I'll do that soon and report back. But I did notice using XM, you can choose the channel, group, artist or song title to be displayed. So I'd guess there will be a similar option for MP3s. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello,

We have a liquid silver SLT-2 with Nav on the way, I wanted to confirm that there is an "aux" connection somewhere that I can plug my ipod into?

Thanks,
Donny

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yes, right on the NAV unit. All I had to buy was a double male cable---forgot the actually size, but it is the same plug that you use for the headphones on your MP3, only it has a male connector on each end. I did have to crank up the volume though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes. It scans the disk and shows the folder structure. You can then choose a folder to see the songs in it. Alternately you can view it by Artist or Album. Instead of showing folders it reads the tag info in the MP3 to group by artist or Album. If I get some time I'll post a couple of pics showing this. And if you dont like either of those there is an "All" option... this just lists every song on the CD/DVD without folders.

You can also burn mp3s to a DVD and play it as audio... So instead of having 7 CDs full of MP3s, you can have just 1 DVD full of MP3s!!! I burned one yesterday and put some 1000+ songs on a single DVD! You can also burn mp3s to a DVD and play it as audio... So instead of having 7 CDs full of MP3s, you can have just 1 DVD full of MP3s!!! I burned one yesterday and put some 1000+ songs on a single DVD![/quote]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes. It scans the disk and shows the folder structure. You can then choose a folder to see the songs in it. Alternately you can view it by Artist or Album. Instead of showing folders it reads the tag info in the MP3 to group by artist or Album. If I get some time I'll post a couple of pics showing this. And if you dont like either of those there is an "All" option... this just lists every song on the CD/DVD without folders.

You can also burn mp3s to a DVD and play it as audio... So instead of having 7 CDs full of MP3s, you can have just 1 DVD full of MP3s!!! I burned one yesterday and put some 1000+ songs on a single DVD!
We get ours this Saturday morning, so that is G-R-E-A-T news since my husband and I are both music freaks - he programs a 60 & 70s station on iTunes, I have an 80s alternative station on iTunes - and due to that fact, most of our music collection is impecably tagged, but in MP3 format on our computer HD (current vehicles don't support MP3 playback) and iPods. We should get our thousands of songs in our vehicle easily and still get the benefit of the tags...THAT makes two very happy drivers! Thanks for that update! (I only wish I could get our stations content on XM :-[)

JJ

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
AcadiaSigma said:
You can also burn mp3s to a DVD and play it as audio... So instead of having 7 CDs full of MP3s, you can have just 1 DVD full of MP3s!!! I burned one yesterday and put some 1000+ songs on a single DVD! You can also burn mp3s to a DVD and play it as audio... So instead of having 7 CDs full of MP3s, you can have just 1 DVD full of MP3s!!! I burned one yesterday and put some 1000+ songs on a single DVD!
I've been using MP3 disks in my other car for several years and love it. But it never even occured to me to try to burn a DVD of mp3s. What a great idea! 8GB of storage = same as having a top of the line Nano in the car with you! Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
73 Posts
My owner manual says the CD player can handle a max of 500 folders, playlists and tunes on an mp3 disc. Says anything greater than 500 simply won't be accessible. I assume the big audio DVD mentioned above is played only via the DVD player??

I just burned my first mp3 CD last night and enjoyed it on a four hour round trip today. Didn't get much more than half way through it! And the sound on the Bose is spectacular. LOVE IT!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Naplesam said:
Yes, right on the NAV unit. All I had to buy was a double male cable---forgot the actually size, but it is the same plug that you use for the headphones on your MP3, only it has a male connector on each end. I did have to crank up the volume though.
For anyone who is interested, the jack size you need on this cable is 3.5mm, or sometimes it will be labeled as 1/8 inch. It should have male plugs of the same size on each end, as stated by Naplesam. You should be able to find one at Radio Shack, or in the iPod area at Circuit City or Best Buy. When you plug in your MP3 player, you will need to turn the volume up most or all of the way (on the player) since the headphone jack is an amplified jack (not a true line-out).

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Another alternative is to use this unit from Belkin: http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=193794. You plug this into a 12 volt outlet. It has a cable that charges your iPod, and a true line out. You then run a cable from the line out on the Belkin unit to the aux in on the stereo. I have used one for years in my Acura MDX, and it works great. I plan to use one with the power outlet in the storage compartment under the arm rest.

Kelly

·
Registered
49 Posts
6 Disk CD changers are SO 90's!!! ;D

Seriously with iPods why would you even carry a CD that hold about 11-15 songs? The ease of just plugging in your iPod to the AUX jack in most new cars just rocks (pun intended)!

·
Registered
36 Posts
kjf said:
Another alternative is to use this unit from Belkin: http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=193794. You plug this into a 12 volt outlet. It has a cable that charges your iPod, and a true line out. You then run a cable from the line out on the Belkin unit to the aux in on the stereo. I have used one for years in my Acura MDX, and it works great. I plan to use one with the power outlet in the storage compartment under the arm rest.

Kelly
I've been using this unit (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/tuneflex/) for quite sometime and it works very well. The line level output is in the base instead of coming from the mini-plug output of the ipod. I think its the one illustrated in the Outlook brochure.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts