GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Acadia Denali with a tow package. 77,000 miles. Just purchased a boat/trailer. I was curious about weights, so I weighed the car and boat/trailer and came up with about 8900 lbs. When I disconnected the boat/trailer, my car came in at 4760 (with me and one passenger) and so the boat/trailer weighs 4180.

According to my manual, the max tow capacity for my vehicle is 4000 lbs and the gross capacity for my vehicle is 9000 lbs. How worried should I be?

The trailer has brakes, and when towing this boat/trailer, the car takes it like a champ - I don't feel any sort of struggle.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Depends how much you like your transmission. Towing too much weight is a good way to quickly shorten it's life.

Your boat/trailer combo already exceeds the towing capacity. Add another couple hundred pounds of gear, fuel, etc. will just add to the weight. You also need to consider the tongue weight.

You also need to consider the consequences should you cause an accident and it is found you were towing in excess of the towing capacity.

Personally I would not worry, I would just go buy an appropriate tow vehicle.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have a 2017 Acadia Denali with a tow package. 77,000 miles. Just purchased a boat/trailer. I was curious about weights, so I weighed the car and boat/trailer and came up with about 8900 lbs. When I disconnected the boat/trailer, my car came in at 4760 (with me and one passenger) and so the boat/trailer weighs 4180.

According to my manual, the max tow capacity for my vehicle is 4000 lbs and the gross capacity for my vehicle is 9000 lbs. How worried should I be?

The trailer has brakes, and when towing this boat/trailer, the car takes it like a champ - I don't feel any sort of struggle.

Thanks!
More weight than I pull with my Lambda, which has a higher GCVWR and tow capacity (and wheelbase), on paper. However, I do believe the newer 9-speed allows for A LOT better RPM gauging than the older 6T75.

Whereas I generally run ~3,200-3,500 RPM, the newer V6 and transmission probably runs 2,500 at the same weight class.

I personally wouldn't be too worried, as long as everything is in controll and braking performance isn't compromised.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts