GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few posts that mentioned "blue dash lights". Is there a way to change the color of the dashboard LEDs? I saw the Enclave dash which is blue and liked the effect. I am not particularly fond of the red Acadia dash but it came with the car and I certainly like the car.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would much prefer blue or even green to the red, but I suspect that ain't gonna happen. Especially since the Enclave has apparently staked a claim to blue lighting.

·
Registered
53 Posts
There is an advantage to the red lighting. It does not affect night vision. My Audi's us red for all illumintaed buttons and instruments throughout the entire car.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Dickf5187 said:
There is an advantage to the red lighting. It does not affect night vision. My Audi's us red for all illumintaed buttons and instruments throughout the entire car.
Yes you are right!! Thats why I like the red. Very easy on the eyes.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Dan-M said:
Dickf5187 said:
Yes you are right!! Thats why I like the red. Very easy on the eyes.
Actually, I don't think that's true of everyone. Personally, while I find that the lighting in the gauges isn't bothersome, I am having difficulty with the red lighting in other components, such as the radio, climate and cruise controls, window and lock switches, etc. At first glance, they always look blurred. I have to blink and refocus my eyes in order to see them clearly. I find it a distraction since, of course, I'm driving while experiencing this. Never having had red lighting before, I was a little concerned about this. Seems now it was for good reason.

If there is some sort of science that validates the claim regarding red, that may be all fine and well. But I think it is more a matter of one's visual acuity and personal taste based on the way their eyes react to certain colors. Like me, some prefer blues and greens. While I have never cared much for red in general, there are obviously those who do prefer it. It's really no different than how some people prefer chocolate while others prefer vanilla.

But hey, that's just my opinion :drunk:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Do blood shot eyes make it harder? ;D

·
Registered
25 Posts
My VW had red and blue lighting, the blue was terrible, and red was tough to focus on when quickly glancing down.

If you wanted to change it, you would have to change a ton of led's/bulbs. Dash, instrument panel, doors switches, console switches etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dickf5187 said:
Red interior automotive lighting is very difficult ( numbers/letters are " fuzzy " ) to focus on if you are over 40 something y/o and having difficulty w/o reading glasses . That's why even Audi has changed at least the lighting of the speedometer/tachometer areas to white light. And notice why Lexus and MBZ , with their older demographics emphasize bright white intrumentation. Their presbyopic over 45 y/o drivers would be having probs w/o bi or trifocal driving glasses !

·
Registered
524 Posts
Poor vision is one subject and yes I have poor vision and just yesterday got some clear lens bifocals for driving. It makes a huge difference in seeing the SMALL icons on the instrument panel.

Here's some interesting reading on vision at night.

http://www.aoa.org/x5352.xml

·
Registered
264 Posts
I am a pilot and much of the night lighting in military as well as general aviation is red lights at night. It is better when looking at instruments then looking out side, it makes much quicker focus time then green or white. As for easier on the eyes dno't know but the advantage is at night when eyes are inside then look outside. Also if you keep the brightness low so you can just see the guages it works better.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm sure you can change it...just might take a lot of work. I personally like the red a lot and think it adds to the appeal. I probably wouldn't like it as much if I felt it was blurry and difficult to see however. Perhaps in the future the Acadias will have a knob to choose which color we want, like some other cars have.

·
Registered
50 Posts
charge said:
I'm sure you can change it...just might take a lot of work. I personally like the red a lot and think it adds to the appeal. I probably wouldn't like it as much if I felt it was blurry and difficult to see however. Perhaps in the future the Acadias will have a knob to choose which color we want, like some other cars have.
they won't have an option for letting the customer select the color with some type of circuitry/knob etc, without paying for it, and assuming ford didnt buy the rights to the technology... (a company has a patent on it, and ford has used it already, tho the first time was without consent)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I like the red lighting in the dash gauges, but I wish they didnt make the numbers ITALIC!
Also instead of making the numbers and letters white, it would have been much nicer in the tan that the radio display has. Its too BOLD... 8)
It would have looked much better if the numbers were not slanted, and would give a softer look like the Enclave dash does. Looking at the pictures of the Enclave dash, with the same gauges and layout, its much more appealing to my eye without the fancy italics.

Oh Well... 8)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts