GMC Acadia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey everyone,

This is my first post. I've come to this message forum a few times to get some information on things and figured I should finally join and contribute back as well. For reference, I own a 2014 GMC Acadia Denali. We've been generally really happy with it, and it's been serving us well.

One of the topics I've come here to research is the blind spot detectors, and all the terrible failures everyone has had with them. I too have had quite a bit of trouble.

1) I first got the notorious "Service blind spot detection system" warning in February of 2018. What was surprising about this to me was that it happened when starting the car after it had been sitting in the garage for a week (we were away on vacation and came back to this message)?
2) In September 2018, my wife told me the gauges were messed up? I took the Acadia for a drive and the speedometer, tachometer, gas guage, and a/c and fan speeds were not operating properly. I didn't know what else could be malfunctioning? Perhaps traction control? Other systems?

I took the Denali into my local mechanic and he told me that the blind spot sensors were causing all the other electrical components to report improper values. I had two options, either replace both modules for $1850 (CND), or unplug them and the lights in the side view mirrors would remain on. I've so far chosen to leave them unplugged. I chose this because I asked to keep and take a look at the modules, and they were very badly weathered, and I felt if I spent the money to replace them, they would just break again. I'll upload a couple of pictures to this post so that everyone can see just how badly they withstood the elements.

I have a question as well:
Does anyone know how I can turn off the sensor lights in the side view mirrors without replacing the units? They are distracting during night driving.

What I really want is for GM to step up and replace these for everyone at their cost (hopefully improved modules that would withstand the road elements). To be perfectly honest, I think it's ridiculous that when a luxury module such as a blind spot sensor fails, there begins to be reporting issues in the vehicle that impact the ability to safely operate it. Further to that, I think it's poor design that the blind spot sensor lights would remain on when the module malfunctions or is unplugged. It is really distracting and unsafe.

Thanks for reading and providing any information you can.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,721 Posts
I have a question as well:
Does anyone know how I can turn off the sensor lights in the side view mirrors without replacing the units? They are distracting during night driving.
:welcome: to the forum.

The mirror glass can be removed (carefully!). Look to see if the light has its own connector and pull the plug on it.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
The part in your picture has been replaced by 22960672. Can be replaced for around $185 each.

Not sure why you feel entitled to having GM foot the bill. Your vehicle is out of warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The part in your picture has been replaced by 22960672. Can be replaced for around $185 each.

Not sure why you feel entitled to having GM foot the bill. Your vehicle is out of warranty.
If that's the case I'd love a link to where I can buy them for that amount as well as one stating it's compatibility with my vehicle.
I think entitled is probably the wrong word here. I'm stating my opinion that the failure of these modules can be a safety issue, and like all safety recalls, the cost goes to the manufacturer.

If the cost really is $185 each, I think that's a reasonable price for a worn sensor. I still maintain that $1850 to replace modules that cannot withstand the elements (based on their location, and how well they're sealed) is a poor investment. Especially if I can expect them to fault again, and potentially put my family in an issue where the vehicle electronics and gauges do not behave as expected. For clarity, I'm not sure what the electrical system impact was on my vehicle, only that these modules faulting cause various things to not work as intended.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Actually according to a quick google search you're correct!
I can't post links yet I guess. I'm too new.
gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-object-sensor-22960672

Might be worth it now, thanks :smile_big:

I'm wondering if any folks have taken extra steps before re-installing. Maybe with some silicone around the edges or some dielectric grease on the connection?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
If that's the case I'd love a link to where I can buy them for that amount as well as one stating it's compatibility with my vehicle.
I think entitled is probably the wrong word here. I'm stating my opinion that the failure of these modules can be a safety issue, and like all safety recalls, the cost goes to the manufacturer.

If the cost really is $185 each, I think that's a reasonable price for a worn sensor. I still maintain that $1850 to replace modules that cannot withstand the elements (based on their location, and how well they're sealed) is a poor investment. Especially if I can expect them to fault again, and potentially put my family in an issue where the vehicle electronics and gauges do not behave as expected. For clarity, I'm not sure what the electrical system impact was on my vehicle, only that these modules faulting cause various things to not work as intended.

$189 at GM Parts Direct.
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-object-sensor-22960672

You can actually find it for a few bucks less but I'm not going to do all of your work.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Greetings! DenaliCowboy, the fact that the sensor in the mirror caused many of your other instruments to light up so to speak tells me that perhaps you may want to talk with a good Attorney. I get letters monthly from attorney's in Southern California inquiring as to what issues I have had with my GMC Arcadia Denali AWD. That's wrong that the mirror issues caused other warnings to go off. GMC should deal with your concerns. Best of Luck to All.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Greetings! DenaliCowboy, the fact that the sensor in the mirror caused many of your other instruments to light up so to speak tells me that perhaps you may want to talk with a good Attorney. I get letters monthly from attorney's in Southern California inquiring as to what issues I have had with my GMC Arcadia Denali AWD. That's wrong that the mirror issues caused other warnings to go off. GMC should deal with your concerns. Best of Luck to All.
Are you serious? Call an attorney for a failed $200 part on a 4 year old vehicle!! :confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for your post! I am a 2014 Acadia Denali owner. Over all, I've enjoyed the vehicle as well, in spite of the "Service Blind Spot Detection System" that started in my vehicle in March 2018 and today, October 11, 2018 (after one full week in the dealer's service department) I was informed they could repair my vehicle for $1,100. The failure you described to the electrical system was exactly the same as mine. Both sensors were damaged. I haven't seem them yet, but was told one 'split' the other had a 'broken tab', both situations resulted in water and debris intrusion to the electrical system. When I asked if the replacement parts were sealed, she didn't know. Why would any consumer pay to put another bad part on the vehicle for $1,000 - $2,000? It's bad enough that GM hasn't issued a RECALL to replace these inadequate parts, but to know they would put our families at risk and alllow us to drive with no safety systems due to a full electrical shut down is UNACCEPTABLE. This part is clearly a poor design that could not have passed vehicle validation (there's no way). GM has not posted any service bulletins or issued a RECALL for these sensors according to the dealer. I will continue to voice my dissatisfaction after this post to GM directly.

I was not offered the option to unplug them, but you can bet that is the preferred choice. I've been looking both ways over my shoulder for over 35 years before I change lanes and I didn't find it necessary to fix the warning light in March nor do I now. Lastly, I agree the warning lights are blinding. At this point, I'll find those small, round mirrrors that say, "items may be closer than they appear" and affix them right over the warning light to mask the brightness.

Good Times!! Way to Rock that Quality GM!!

·
Super Moderator
21,721 Posts
If you turn off the SBZA in the vehicle personalization settings, chances are all the electrical gremlins would go away.

The option was there to purchase an extended service policy for the car which would have covered that repair. Too bad that option wasn't exercised.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
If you turn off the SBZA in the vehicle personalization settings, chances are all the electrical gremlins would go away.

The option was there to purchase an extended service policy for the car which would have covered that repair. Too bad that option wasn't exercised.
Too easy to get wound up over a $200 part and how they expect someone else to pay for their out of warranty repair.

He is probably a lawyer.
George
You are most likely correct.

·
Super Moderator
21,721 Posts
Too easy to get wound up over a $200 part and how they expect someone else to pay for their out of warranty repair.
$200 for the part is a little misleading, @divotdug. Retail (dealer) price is about $300/each according to gmpartsdirect. Even so, it surely doesn't take over 4 hours of labor (@ $125/hr.) to change out both sensors. There's a whole lot of stroking going on in this thread. :devil:

·
Registered
3,145 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,721 Posts
You can get them for $160 at Rock Auto.
Great for DIY folks, or those working with their friendly local mechanic shop. A dealer will likely want to use their parts in order to uphold any repair guarantee on P&L.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did try turning off that option in the settings but with no luck.
Unfortunately as well, I purchase the Denali lightly used with ~24k kms on it (from a dodge dealership), and had no option to purchase extended coverage at the time of purchase.

Thanks everyone for their comments. I haven't yet tried to turn off the side mirror lights, but that will be my next step, and I'll follow up here with the results as well.

I can see there are two very different pools of thought among commenters, those that are affected by this odd connection of electronics and gauge functionality to a failing sensor, and those that believe extended warranty should have been purchased.
My personal thought is, of course, extended warranty would have covered the repair, and perhaps some folks declined to exercise that option, but I think it's just poor design.

Let's take another sensor in the vehicle, a simple one like the one that turns on your headlights when it gets dark. If that sensor failed, and the vehicle stopped reporting gas levels, rpm levels, speed, and a variety of other in dash information, would you have confidence that safety specific sensors were also reporting correctly? Stability control, abs, passenger airbag deactivation, others.... ? Just my two cents. This type of poor design reflects on my opinion of GM when I go to purchase my next vehicle. If the sensor had failed, and was an expensive repair, but everything else if the vehicle operated as intended, I would be 100% behind the "your vehicle is our of warranty" argument.

Also, I don't think things like this warrant an attorney for what it's worth, unless of course this problem caused someone some accident, or was proven to put folks in danger etc..., which I haven't heard of yet.

Thanks again everyone!

·
Super Moderator
21,721 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anyone had success with ordering these from Rockauto? They say they are out of stock. Other places have them but they're ~$70-$90 more per module.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did try turning off that option in the settings but with no luck.
Unfortunately as well, I purchase the Denali lightly used with ~24k kms on it (from a dodge dealership), and had no option to purchase extended coverage at the time of purchase.

Thanks everyone for their comments. I haven't yet tried to turn off the side mirror lights, but that will be my next step, and I'll follow up here with the results as well.

I can see there are two very different pools of thought among commenters, those that are affected by this odd connection of electronics and gauge functionality to a failing sensor, and those that believe extended warranty should have been purchased.
My personal thought is, of course, extended warranty would have covered the repair, and perhaps some folks declined to exercise that option, but I think it's just poor design.

Let's take another sensor in the vehicle, a simple one like the one that turns on your headlights when it gets dark. If that sensor failed, and the vehicle stopped reporting gas levels, rpm levels, speed, and a variety of other in dash information, would you have confidence that safety specific sensors were also reporting correctly? Stability control, abs, passenger airbag deactivation, others.... ? Just my two cents. This type of poor design reflects on my opinion of GM when I go to purchase my next vehicle. If the sensor had failed, and was an expensive repair, but everything else if the vehicle operated as intended, I would be 100% behind the "your vehicle is our of warranty" argument.

Also, I don't think things like this warrant an attorney for what it's worth, unless of course this problem caused someone some accident, or was proven to put folks in danger etc..., which I haven't heard of yet.

Thanks again everyone!
I purchased the extended bumper to bumper with my 2013 Acadia Denali and had the failure replaced under extended warranty a year or two ago. Now it’s failed again and the extended warranty has expired. Pretty poor construction if they fail that often. And we park indoors year round, not even 140k km yet

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.