GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
will soon bleed my breaks I have few questions that I did not get from many tutorials or videos

1 does at any point master cylinder have to be open when bleeding the break
2 when pushing down on a break paddle while bleeder valve screw is open so you have to on final push hold the pedal down then close the bleeder valve screw or does not matter
3 at work we have car mechanics one of them said that you don’t have to bleed all 4 sides just ones your replaced callipers ?

thanks

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I have bled BRAKES many times. No experience with bleeding BREAKS, so will answer your questions on what I do know.

1. You have to keep the reservoir filled with fluid so you have to open it somewhere along the way. Also sort of depends on how you are bleeding the brakes. The old fashioned way with a friend pumping the pedal, with a one person vacuum system or one person pressurized system.
2. I always have the pedal down while closing the bleeder.
3. Do all 4.

Hopefully you haven't gotten air in the ABS module. If that is the case you need a scan tool that can activate the ABS solenoids.

·
Super Moderator
22,413 Posts
I have bled BRAKES many times. No experience with bleeding BREAKS, so will answer your questions on what I do know.

1. You have to keep the reservoir filled with fluid so you have to open it somewhere along the way. Also sort of depends on how you are bleeding the brakes. The old fashioned way with a friend pumping the pedal, with a one person vacuum system or one person pressurized system.
3. Do all 4.

Hopefully you haven't gotten air in the ABS module. If that is the case you need a scan tool that can activate the ABS solenoids.
+1 I agree with @divotdug. Bleeding the entire system will be an opportune time to change all the brake fluid - a good maintenance item. One-person bleeding systems may be available for rent at a local parts store.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

3. Do all 4.

I forgot to mention I am using hose submerged under break fluid in a bottle do I still need second person to hold break paddle down with this system

thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,413 Posts
That method with one person seldom results in complete removal of air from the brake system.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
So basically you need 2 person to hold the pedal down as you close bleEder valve
It depends what tool/method you use. I've used pressurized systems with good results. Stop by your local auto parts store and see what they have for rent.

·
Super Moderator
22,413 Posts
So basically you need 2 person to hold the pedal down as you close bleEder valve
The way you're proposing to do it, you'll need a 2nd person for pumping and holding the pedal in order to have the best chance of bleeding the brakes correctly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts