GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read the old post pertaining to this (it's over 120 days old)

In addition to scratches and swirls, My plastic has hazy white spots.
(lacquer thinner or acetone?). Fingerprints galore!

What are you guys doing to repair / or prevent this from happening?

I don't necessarily care for the chrome stainless overlays.

In 6 weeks, I have 5 interior gadgets broken (one the same day I left the dealer), and the exterior black plastic....
GM PLEASE BUILD SOMETHING THAT COULD SURVIVE MORE THAN 1 MONTH!

My Mountaineer survived 3 NY winters, the interior survived 3 kids. It looked fantastic when I turned her in. (The dealer kept her for his lot).
Hate to see what 3 years would do to my Acadia!! I Love this Truck!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've tried caranauba vanilla moose wax glaze (I think that's the name) which was recommeded in this forum. I've also tried Meguir's ScratchX. I've only seen marginal improvement. Man, once my Acadia is all cleaned up and out in the sun the swirls on the black pillars stick out like a sore thumb. :angryfire: :angryfire:

I haven't noticed any hazy white spots though.

My dealer is ordering me all new black pillars and will replace them at no charge to me. :thumb:

My hope is that the high school aged lot attendant that washed my Acadia before I picked it up just simply wasn't using the right kind of towel. I'm hoping that if I use the microfiber towels these scratches will not return. :-\

This is very unsettling though that this would all of a sudden be a problem. My past cars have all had black pillars between the windows and I never had a problem with them, plus I was never too particular with the type of towels I was using. What happened for this to now be a problem?? ??? ???

Did GM suddenly forget what material to use in this area? ??? ???

The same argument can be used for the leaking sunroofs that many Acadia owners are experiencing. They've had sunroofs in automobiles for decades now, and all of a sudden it's a problem in the Acadia?? I still don't understand how that can happen. ??? ??? ??? ???

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found something that works! Black Trim next to Windows

I just used IBIZ waterless wash and wax spray on these panels. Amazing! The scratches & hazing are all gone.
I'll keep you updated on how it withstands fingerprints.

Notes:
I'm in no way connected to this co.
I borrowed pic from the 'net.

Attachments

·
Registered
912 Posts
I used 3M leading edge tape on the black pillars along with inside the door handles to prevent ring and key scratches etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Acadia came with small swirls on the pillars. I assume it was from the dealerships automatic car wash!! I used mothers scratch remover ($6.00) and they came out.

No More Automatic Car Washes!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
DSNY FN said:
I used 3M leading edge tape on the black pillars along with inside the door handles to prevent ring and key scratches etc.
How much did that run you for the pillars?

·
Registered
912 Posts
bonk1313 said:
DSNY FN said:
How much did that run you for the pillars?
Nothing a buddy works for 3M so I get it all free same with the tape I used on the door handles indents and the rear liftgate to protect the paint from teh bike rack we used when we went away camping. If you need some I can send some down to you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DSNY FN said:
Which one did you use?
I see that they have from 1" - 6", and it comes in clear or black.
Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used a little lacquer thinner on a rag, it removed a lot of the haze and light marks.
I'm afraid that it may pull the color right off if I use it with a heavy hand.
I'm going back to Ibiz when it gets a little warmer

·
Registered
912 Posts
BrickLover said:
DSNY FN said:
Which one did you use?
I see that they have from 1" - 6", and it comes in clear or black.
Thanks!
I used the 6" clear with a little dawn in water to put it on.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
:worthless: and I mean that in the nicest way ;D

·
Registered
912 Posts
jsimms said:
:worthless: and I mean that in the nicest way ;D
Actually I have pics posted of it on here someplace I just don't remember what thread they are in LOL.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
The only way you can tell there's tape is the line of dirt/dust where the tape and body meet; good idea though

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
jsimms said:
The only way you can tell there's tape is the line of dirt/dust where the tape and body meet; good idea though
Keep it washed and you will not see it. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
bonk1313 said:
jsimms said:
Keep it washed and you will not see it. :thumb:
That's kind of where I was going with that, but the vehicle isn't really dirty so you could take a rag and wipe across the top tape line and be good

1 - 16 of 16 Posts