GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to clean the Black Exterior Shiny panels between the front and passenger doors? Mine looks like it has little scratches in it and it gets fingerprints all over it? :help:

Louise

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've been searching threads on this site trying to find the best methods for waxing, polishing the black exterior, and cleaning the titanium leather. I'm not an expert, but I've read many comments in my research and besides zaino's product Mothers was mentioned frequently. I looked up their "back to black" and it says it's good for the shiney black as well as the black plastic bumpers. Check out this link... http://microfiber-products-online.stores.yahoo.net/06108mp.html

After doing the research I've decided to buy Mother's Leather cleaner, Leather conditioner, and Back to Black along with WheelWax for the wheels. They all seem to have good reviews from the users on this forum.

Good luck!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks boxermom....not a bad price either. Shipping will probably cost more than the product! LOL

Thanks for replying!

Louise :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I used Mother's Back to Black to freshen up the black bumpers on the Explorer Sport I sold when we bought the Acadia. It seemed to do a good job but did seem to attract dust. Last weekend I used Zanio Perfect Tire Shine on the black trim on the Acadia. So far, I like the Zanio better. Can't vouch for how long it will last, but it's easy to apply.

Just my personal opinion - your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I think the initial question was regarding the hard plastic shiney panels that are in between the door windows, these are a different plastic than the lower panels which are more of a matte finished plastic that would accept the Back to Black or Zaino Tire Shine- the upper panels are a hard plastic (some kind of coating) I to notice they get fine scratches easily - I just applied a coat of the Zaino CS (clear seal) this shined them up well but does not remove the scratches. I would think any non abrasive wax would help protect these panels - do not use a wax with a polish/cleaner in them, they are abrasive.

These panels and the chrome strip on the upper rear bumper concern me as they are easily scratched/marred (the rear bumber strip will get marks if you are trying to lift a heavy item (luggage) out of the back and you hit the chrome strip, you have to lift the items past that if you can. And everytime I close my doors, my hands are on the black panels, I can see these getting marked to.

·
Registered
48 Posts
johnway said:
I think the initial question was regarding the hard plastic shiney panels that are in between the door windows, these are a different plastic than the lower panels which are more of a matte finished plastic that would accept the Back to Black or Zaino Tire Shine- the upper panels are a hard plastic (some kind of coating)
Sorry, my bad. I see what the discussion is about. After trying the Mother's Back to Black on some smooth pieces of the Explorer I'd highly recommend that you NOT use it on these panels. The Zaino Clear Seal should be a good choice for this.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
On those shiny black parts between the doors/windows, I just used the polish that came with the Protector package I purchased. They looked like painted parts like the rest of the vehicle, so I figured same deal on them. It worked well. Though they get smudgy from opening/closing the doors anyways. *shrugs*

It was the rough lighter black plastic parts of the exterior that I had issues with cleaning.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The black shiny panels are Urethane decals so the film isn't as scratch resistant as regular paint. A good Plexiglas polish will restore some of the shine if it's bad but the best solution is to use a wax or protectant to fill the scratches.

I started using 303 Aerospace protectant when I had an RV and now use it for everything from tire gloss to black plastic polish and rubber seals.

http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=428

This stuff is easy to apply and wipes off of the paint easily. One thing I really like about it is that it doesn't tend to "run down " onto the paint areas and leave a residue. I've had this happen to the Turtle Wax plastic treatment.

PS I own not stock in this company! :angel:

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have some scratch wax I used on the body I will try on the panels you describe. I will take a pic of this product I will use. I believe it's by Maguires

1 - 10 of 10 Posts