GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone figured out what the black rail is used for that is located under the vehicle on the driver's side?

It's sort of shaped like the exhaust system pipes, so right now I'm just thinking it's an aerodynamic feature.

Also, I thought it was slightly odd that they (designers/engineers) located the battery so close to the exhaust system under the vehicle. (Battery is located behind the front passenger seat under a panel with a silver screw/bolt)

I know...what was I doing under the vehicle??? I'm very curious.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I'm the same way. I like to see how things work, and also if they can be modded for more power! ;D If it hasn't been answered by then, as soon as mine gets here I'll look & see what you are referencing.

Sometimes it is hard to tell why things end up where they do. Heat can have an effect seasonally, as I found out with my V8 RX7. It ran fine all winter & spring, then when summer hit the aluminum fuel line vapor locked due to heat from the exhaust. Hopefully the battery compartment has some heat shielding.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
bradgmc said:
Has anyone figured out what the black rail is used for that is located under the vehicle on the driver's side?

It's sort of shaped like the exhaust system pipes, so right now I'm just thinking it's an aerodynamic feature.

Also, I thought it was slightly odd that they (designers/engineers) located the battery so close to the exhaust system under the vehicle. (Battery is located behind the front passenger seat under a panel with a silver screw/bolt)

I know...what was I doing under the vehicle??? I'm very curious.
I was thinking that the rail is additional protection for the fuel tank in a side-impact collision. Being a body-frame integral design, the Acadia doesn't have traditional frame rails to protect the fuel tank that would be on a Tahoe/Yukon etc, so they add this additional beam. Just a guess.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts