GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tip. A while back I waxed my Acadia. Not being a pro by any means, some wax ended up on the black plastic lower trim. Looked around and found that a standard pink eraser takes it off well. Right they are! Works great.
Assuming most of you mask the trim when waxing?
On to my question. The SLE has a fair bit of exterior black plastic. What do any of you use and recommend to blacken the black, while protecting it also if possible. I do not want shiny. I never use stuff on my tires in fear of shiny tires for example. It can have some sheen, no problem, maybe what I would call eggshell or something. Thoughts?
I'm a Maguairs guy, is their Ultimate Black decent? Last comment... something "off the shelf" please.

·
Registered
290 Posts
303 protectant is what I use.

If the wax is bad use a small bit of WD40 on a small rag to remove the wax as it works as a mild solvent. A soft brush also helps.

I have a few other tricks detailing show cars for near 4 years.

I am some Meguires, some 3M and mostly Chemical Guys. I change when I find better things with regular testing. My formula for finish is a combination of all these.

Tires I go for shine with Meguires Hot Shine. But if you want a flat look just add some water and most ther protection will be more flat. 303 is more dull on tires.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pink eraser worked. Now I just need to blacken it up, protect it.
303 was my first thought, as I've heard really good things for a while. But... definitely not stocked anywhere near me. Would have to ship it in, probably $50 total for a standard spray bottle. Seems crazy.
Hoping for something similar, but readily available.
Thanks tho, might just have to.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
The pink eraser worked. Now I just need to blacken it up, protect it.
303 was my first thought, as I've heard really good things for a while. But... definitely not stocked anywhere near me. Would have to ship it in, probably $50 total for a standard spray bottle. Seems crazy.
Hoping for something similar, but readily available.
Thanks tho, might just have to.
+1. . . I do not care for shine on the trim or tires either. I find the two products below work well on both black plastic trim as well as tires.

I've tried a number of black plastic trim protectants and 303 is what seems to work very well with no build up that later causes that chalky "graying". Amazon Canada has several 303 products reasonably priced. Amazon.ca : 303 UV Protectant Spray - Ultimate UV Protection

Another that I like is Meguairs Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner Protectant.
Both of those products seem to work really well and are low sheen and even that diminishes after a few days. Neither has caused any chalking or greasy-shiny residual effects.

These also are very good to treat the rubber weather seals around doors and windows. I had a squeak when going over rough roads or bumps coming from my driver side door and it turned out to be the dry rubber door seal. I wet a small cloth scrap with some product and wiped the weather seals down around the whole door. No more squeak since. Doing that will keep the weather seals from getting hard and brittle down the road.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have 303 local but buy Amazon as it is cheaper.
fYI a little goes a long way.
I even use it on my hard Bak cover. No stains or runs and it protects the rubber and metal.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Tip. A while back I waxed my Acadia. Not being a pro by any means, some wax ended up on the black plastic lower trim. Looked around and found that a standard pink eraser takes it off well. Right they are! Works great.
Assuming most of you mask the trim when waxing?
On to my question. The SLE has a fair bit of exterior black plastic. What do any of you use and recommend to blacken the black, while protecting it also if possible. I do not want shiny. I never use stuff on my tires in fear of shiny tires for example. It can have some sheen, no problem, maybe what I would call eggshell or something. Thoughts?
I'm a Maguairs guy, is their Ultimate Black decent? Last comment... something "off the shelf" please.
To clarify - - -
I've used 3 typed of 303, but this is the one that might seem most applicable for what you are looking for.
It is 30382

Assuming you can find it. Maybe some auto supply stores or do a search? I found it a few places and is for sure pricey in Canada. But it does go a long way. I use one of the small 4" round micro fiber pads with the sponge inside. Once it gets wetted only a drop more now and then is needed while applying.

Liquid Bottle Personal care Font Drink

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help guys.
I've only bought once off Amazon, and did it thru a friend. So unfortunately, even tho I kinda want the 303, hassle prevention will probably land me the Maguairs stuff per post #4. 22 in stock, aisle 33 at the local Canadian Tire (their website is top notch).

Reactions: JayTee2019
1 - 7 of 7 Posts