GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I'd post this here to direct with a reference to another member who showed how to remove the lower rear "chrome" bumper valance on an Acadia Denali.

This is for those who would prefer to black out that "Silver-gray" lower rear bumper valance. I have information in the other thread, but here is a before and after example of what it looks like. . . .

4 Clean Edit - Copy.jpg K Valance Installed D.jpg

·
Registered
622 Posts
That looks fantastic! Miles better than the "GMC forgot to paint the lower valance" look. I will definitely be doing the same to mine at some point. I looked into wrapping, but the piece in question is textured, not recommended for wraps.
I will also be painting the mufflers (and tailpipes rearward of the axle or so?) high heat flat black.
Need some warmer temps for any of this to happen. We are having a cold March!
What is the black chrome you speak of on the other thread for that chrome piece? A wrap?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That looks fantastic! Miles better than the "GMC forgot to paint the lower valance" look. I will definitely be doing the same to mine at some point. I looked into wrapping, but the piece in question is textured, not recommended for wraps.
I will also be painting the mufflers (and tailpipes rearward of the axle or so?) high heat flat black.
Need some warmer temps for any of this to happen. We are having a cold March!
What is the black chrome you speak of on the other thread for that chrome piece? A wrap?
Using the SEM Satin Black 15243 turned out as I hoped it would. It lets the texture remain and looks "factory". Yes, the wrapping wouldn't work and I think it would look tacked on.
I may also paint the mufflers and exhaust that can be seen. Not sure yet.
I recommend buying both the SEM 77723 XXX Adhesion Promoter and the SEM 15243 Color Coat Satin Black.

The black chrome piece is a GM part - - - - GM 84431659

There is also a newer part FOR +2020 - - Called Nightrider Chrome - -
I am not sure of the difference but it may be darker yet.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'm not a big fan of chrome (although I do like black chrome a lot), but that one I'll wait to see what yours looks like.
My concern about the mufflers is they are very visible. The semi-shiny aluminized steel stands out, and if/when it eventually rusts, will be a lot more difficult to make it look decent. I'll have to check out some older Acadia's to see how their exhausts are faring...
Great job.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not a big fan of chrome (although I do like black chrome a lot), but that one I'll wait to see what yours looks like.
My concern about the mufflers is they are very visible. The semi-shiny aluminized steel stands out, and if/when it eventually rusts, will be a lot more difficult to make it look decent. I'll have to check out some older Acadia's to see how their exhausts are faring...
Great job.
After painting that lower valance black, it really made the chome applique with the GMC logo on it kind of stand out a bit much. I think the black chrome piece might compliment the and not clash with the lower all black treatment.
We'll see. It will be awhile before I can install it. I haven't received it yet either.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For those 2017 to 2019 owners who wish to have a black lower rear bumper valance( rear lower bumper cover), and do not want to paint it, GM has it in Black, Silver, & Chrome.
NOTE: +2020 parts are different.
Below are the GM part numbers and links to the Black Lower Bumper Cover (valance) and the Black Chrome (Nightrider) applique between the rear tail lights.

Black Lower Bumper Cover GM 84161585

Rear Black Chrome Piece Between Tail Lights
GM 84431659

Attachments

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
OK. . . I completed the rear mods with the lower rear bumper valance black out and now replaced the previous shiny chrome applique between the rear tail lights with the "Black Chrome" version GMC offers. The "Black Chrome" is more of a softer kind of titanium look to it and also matches the SLT-1 wheels more closely.
I'm pleased with the results and now I know how to remove the rear hatch inner panel and trim. Removing the original chrome applique was a bit fussy. There are two electrical connectors that have the usual fastener locking clips that must be disengaged first, and then a release lever that must be pressed and held in while gently pulling the connectors apart .
Then the entire wire harness fitted into the chrome applique must be disconnected. Then remove the license plate lights and camera taking note how the wire harness is run and fastening points to install the same on the new Black Chrome applique.
Pictures below of original, then blacked out lower bumper fascia and finally the Black Chrome installed - - -

1 - Copy.jpg Black Chrome A.jpg Black Chrome B.jpg

·
Registered
622 Posts
So sharp! Almost makes me think GMC put the ugly silver piece there just so they could have aftermarket sales for proper ones! :unsure:
Black chrome piece also looks nice.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. . . the "Black Chrome" is more of a titanium finish in my estimation and works well with the rest of the Acadia . . . at least I like it in our color combination.
The back lower bumper valance is a must.
I have looked a many other model and brands SUVs and saw a Cadillac SRX and even those all have all black lower bumpers.
But the silver things just kind of poked us in the eye the longer we had it. Even my wife says it looks so much better.
I think this is another case where "less is more".

·
Registered
622 Posts
So I went the more costly (not bad actually IMO) but time saving route; just ordered the black GMC piece.
Will post before and after pics when it arrives, and I set time aside to re/re.
Super busy at work, and my little side biz, plus girls (9, 6) are at home... hard to put aside time for stuff like this. But I will! They can hang out with me when I get to it, play in the yard.

·
Super Moderator
19,651 Posts
... They can hang out with me when I get to it, play in the yard.
Maybe they'll want to help you, learn some skills. That could make teaching them how to change a tire a lot easier when they get old enough to drive (unless autonomous vehicles are the 'thing' by then).

·
Registered
622 Posts
My older girl helped me install her bedroom floor when she was 5-6, always asks to help with things like painting, so it's entirely possible! I will be dragging them out there...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited by Moderator)
So I went the more costly (not bad actually IMO) but time saving route; just ordered the black GMC piece.
Will post before and after pics when it arrives, and I set time aside to re/re.
Super busy at work, and my little side biz, plus girls (9, 6) are at home... hard to put aside time for stuff like this. But I will! They can hang out with me when I get to it, play in the yard.
Good to hear! That should actually make it easier since those saw tooth stainless steel clips are difficult to remove and if you break a plastic tab no worries since you are installing a whole new valance.
BTW, I did not replace those two stainless steel when I reinstalled the valance. They appear to be only something to hold the piece to the bumper fascia during pre assembly. There are two bolts right below those saw tooth clips and a row of retaining tabs all along the top of the valance that hold it into place along with the 3 fastening spots on each end of the valance.
You'll see what I mean when you start to remove the original valance.
Good to hear you are educating those girls and having some family time with them even on a project like this.

Black Chrome E1 (5) Reflections.jpg Black Chrome D.jpg

·
Registered
622 Posts
Thanks for the advice and good words!
I said to my wife the other day, I have no boys to help me so the girls will have to be somewhat handy. :cool:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the advice and good words!
I said to my wife the other day, I have no boys to help me so the girls will have to be somewhat handy. :cool:
And. . . who knows? Their "future boyfriends" 👦 (perish the thought ! ) will be really surprised at how savvy your girls 👩‍🦰 are about automotive, home and real life tasks. (y)

·
Super Moderator
19,651 Posts
And. . . who knows? Their "future boyfriends" 👦 (perish the thought ! ) will be really surprised at how savvy your girls 👩‍🦰 are about automotive, home and real life tasks. (y)
One or both of them could also end up in the trades and make more $$ than their college-graduate boyfriend. Save the parental units some $$ on tuition, too.

·
Registered
622 Posts
OK, not too many people excited about this... but I am. (y)
Part arrived today.
We have a new front hall light coming in, will take a day off to do both when the light arrives. Hurry up!
20200420_175102.jpg

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
OK, not too many people excited about this... but I am. (y)
Part arrived today.
We have a new front hall light coming in, will take a day off to do both when the light arrives. Hurry up!
View attachment 9428
Alright. . . ! Now you are on your way . . . . Looking forward to pictures.

Thread link to Rear Bumper Fascia Lower Valance Removal:

Tools And Fasteners I used for future readers:

F Valance Tools Used To Remove.jpg

·
Registered
622 Posts
Well, this went way easier than I thought. 12:38 head outside. Take a pic:
20200502_123725.jpg
Grab tools, 4 ramps, turn car around and drive up on ramps:
20200502_124452.jpg
Take the after pic at 1:29, less than an hour including putting tools away, turning back around for same pic reference:
20200502_132920.jpg
Bought my black replacement piece from Calgary, $180 (CAD, much less in the US) including taxes and shipping.
I am very happy with the results!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts