GMC Acadia Forum banner

Any problems with mileage til empty range indicator?

• never any problems

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • works great

• don't know

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was travelling down Route 80 in Pennsylvania on my way to a wedding in Allentown...the gas mileage indicator said 32 miles were left and I had exactly 7 miles to get to the Bloomsburg exit...

Guess what?...you got it!...ran out of gas right on the highway...my wife and I were dressed for a church wedding...we just looked at each other...rather than wait for help and be late for the wedding...we had the pleasure of walking a mile to a scary gas station...25 degrees with 30 mph winds...Truckers honking at my wife!!!

We got a ride back the car with a can of gas by a very nice older gentleman in a '81 Crown Vic with two dogs that had serious shedding problems!

We love our Acadia...but won't trust the mileage range again!!!

I guess I was pushing it, (and deserve it) but my experience with other vehicles has been very good with accuracy...

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Mine is opposite. It will read "get gas" and the gauge will be below E, I always panic and fill up and will have two or three gallons left in the tank.

I guess if it is off, it is better to be off this way than yours. Sorry that happened, my husband and I were worried about that two weeks ago, we were late to the wedding to put gas in. We had two miles to go but were afraid it would run out. Ended up having plenty!

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have had my DIC read "low" it gets so low it does not give the mile anymore (usually goes to that below 30 - 35 miles) it usually register low but if you hit the DIC button it will again display the miles - but at this point it no longer does that - this is when I get worried. That range is based on the average you have displayed on the DIC, if you are driving aggressively the average might not go down as fast as the actual gas used. Which Bloomsburg exit were you at, I am sure I know the gas station as I live 20 miles or so from there, luckily you were theree an not a few exits past, then there is no gas for 30 miles or so. Wasn't me honking ;D.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a simple rule to avoid this problem all together; I never let the needle go below 1/4 tank on the highway. Sure, booting around town I've seen the low fuel warning once or twice, but when I'm within a few blocks of a station, no big deal.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Just a word of warning --- Frequently running your fuel tank this low will have serious adverse effects on your fuel pump. The fuel pump is located in the fuel tank. The fuel actually cools the pump. When there is not enough fuel to cover the pump, it gets very hot. The extra heat shortens the pump life. I haven't priced a pump for the Acadia, but late model Chevy pickup pumps run about $400 (aftermarket).

The suggestion about not letting the fuel level get below 1/4 is spot on. When you think about it, you're not spending any more on fuel by keeping the tank topped up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
funny you should mention it, i had the pleasure of running out of gas in my driveway this morning with the gauge showing just under that last line before getting to the "E". i actually have a slightly declined driveway, so the nose of the car was pointed down. started up, but then puttered out as i backed out. nearly put me through the garage door!

thought i was lucky because i had about 1/3 of a 1.5 gal tank in the garage that i use for the mower....apparently that wasn't even enough to get her started! had to walk up to the gas station and the additional 1.5 gal's got it started. But what a kick in the pants! I thought I had plenty the night prior and certainly thought so when i got in this am, since it was showing over the E, but apparently not!

I know this issue isn't so much related to the DIC, but thought I'd share my experience regarding the not so accurate gauge as well.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Glen Dornoch said:
I was travelling down Route 80 in Pennsylvania on my way to a wedding in Allentown...the gas mileage indicator said 32 miles were left and I had exactly 7 miles to get to the Bloomsburg exit...

Guess what?...you got it!...ran out of gas right on the highway...my wife and I were dressed for a church wedding...we just looked at each other...rather than wait for help and be late for the wedding...we had the pleasure of walking a mile to a scary gas station...25 degrees with 30 mph winds...Truckers honking at my wife!!!

We got a ride back the car with a can of gas by a very nice older gentleman in a '81 Crown Vic with two dogs that had serious shedding problems!

We love our Acadia...but won't trust the mileage range again!!!

I guess I was pushing it, (and deserve it) but my experience with other vehicles has been very good with accuracy...
Oh, I know what you mean. I had the same thing happen. We (the family) were driving across the country. We were driving continuously since our last fill up. I was in a city area with lots of stations, but I was trying to drive as long as I could since the kids were sleeping. The 'low fuel' light came on, so I planned to exit about 3 miles up the road. The DIC said I had 33 miles remaining. Just then, the vehicle quit.

Needless to say, my plan did not work. Now everyone was up. Luckily, OnStar was very quick to send someone out, so we were only delayed about 40 minutes. I DO NOT trust the DIC with miles remaining. Yes, I understand it is averages, etc, but running out of gas with '33 miles' remaining is about 10% off, when compared to the tank capacity. Not very accurate. The good thing is now I know not to trust it. You live and learn.

·
Registered
752 Posts
ashton13 said:
One more thing, I live in the philly area and When you travel to Allentown It is like going up the Mountains from philly, So going up hill means you will use more GAS. Understand.
One thing that nobody has mentioned is that our fuel tanks are long and shallow. If you are going up hill or down hill you will get a reading that is not accurate. I don't know if our manuals mention this-perhaps they should. But then again I obviously haven't read the manual.

·
Super Moderator
21,763 Posts
It seems like an old addage applies here. It goes like this - "Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see." Each Acadia will be different. Gauges and digital readouts are not calibrated scientific instruments!

·
Registered
21 Posts
All I want to say about this and maybe my last post about this, (Maybe) is that when the gauge is on
( E ) that means Empty, Does not mean you can go 20 more miles after passing 10 gas stations,
Weather you have kids in the car sleeping or your wife, Seems like people try to put blame on the Car/Suv. It is the Owner that has to decide to get gas not the Car/Suv. The next Car/Suv GMC has to come out with is a Car that pulls into the Gas Station people. So they know I need GAS. Anyway, Good luck with the ones you have, and keep the gas Full.

·
Registered
70 Posts
ashton13 said:
All I want to say about this and maybe my last post about this, (Maybe) is that when the gauge is on
( E ) that means Empty, Does not mean you can go 20 more miles after passing 10 gas stations,
Weather you have kids in the car sleeping or your wife, Seems like people try to put blame on the Car/Suv. It is the Owner that has to decide to get gas not the Car/Suv. The next Car/Suv GMC has to come out with is a Car that pulls into the Gas Station people. So they know I need GAS. Anyway, Good luck with the ones you have, and keep the gas Full.
Can't believe i'm actually responding to these type of posts....but here we go.... I think you make a good point ashton. when it reaches "E", you SHOULD definitely pull over. but I think what folks are referring to is trying to get to a gas station or "going for it" prior to it reaching that point. I know that was the case with my situation anyway. I was just under the last hash mark prior to reaching "E". And besides, I read somewhere on this forum that there's another gallon and a half remaining in reserve once you hit "E". Which for this vehicle(based on estimated MPG's) should get you anywhere between 24-33 more miles. I know in my case after putting injust about 2 gallons of gas, the reading told me I had 60 miles left again before empty. I guess we'd just like to have our digital readings be somewhat accurate, not +/-30 miles! I mean that's like 2 gallons off the mark not counting the reserves the other 1.5 gallons in reserve! that's 48-66 miles off!

And prior to my incident, i'd never of gas before either. wasn't happy that my acadia ruined my streak. suggest you look out, because you never know, this vehicle might tarnish your streak as well! :angel:

Also, I wanted to point out, it looks like there's a known issue, here's the info along with a link to the an older post that discusses this issue in depth. So it looks like we're not completely "stupid", right ashton? http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=497.0

The fix is out:

Document ID# 2031844

Fuel Gauge Is Inaccurate Or Slow To Change - keywords calibration cluster inoperative intermittent IPC level sensor update #PIT4269A - (10/17/2007)

There is a revised calibration for the ECM to correct this concern. It will be necessary to reprogram the ECM and TCM at the same time using TIS2WEB. To update both modules select Programming Sequence ECM/TCM on the Supported Controller Screen.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I think I've asked this before but how is the the DIC mileage and such calculated? Is it actually measuring flow to/through the injectors, or is it just using the float (or whatever) in the fuel tank?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Mine seems overly cautious if anything. Never got down to the 30s. Usually try to fill up before then. When it says I have 45 mines to go, am getting 19MPG and gallons used is 16 I know something is off as it holds 22 gallons. I should get over 100 miles to go, not 45. Usually have at least 2-3 gallons left when I fill up.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Never ran out of gas in any car/truck I've ever had. My view, is if you run it much below 1/8th of a tank left...you're just asking for trouble. My view on the DIC is just like in my wife's van...it can go from 40 miles till empty to 7 miles till empty in about five miles. All depends on your average mpg, if your DIC fuel used is correct (mine is always off a 1/2 to a gallon when I fill up and yes, I fill up the same way, each time), etc.

Soo...thanks for the warning, but I wasn't counting on it anyway...shoulda got gas before you left the house, is what I would say. ::)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wendy's chili...I could have...and should have stopped for gas earlier...but i wanted some Wendy's chili at the next exit...what would Jeff Foxworthy say?

Yours truly,

Glen Dornoch

(thanks...fun to read...)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I'm trying to figure out what is going on with my DIC. I had the low fuel light ding at me so I stopped at the closest Shell station. Gas was a little high so I only put in about 4 gallons/ $10.00 or so. I got in and turned on the car and the low fuel light started dinging at me again. I thought that the gauge needed a few minutes to catch up (even though it has never needed time before) and I drove around the parking lot. It never rose. I turned off the car and turned it back on and it binged again. I left it running and drove around one more time, nothing. Now I thought I got gipped at the station and I go up and complain to the service person about not getting the gas I paid for. Fortunately I just asked for the name of the manager and got back in the car. I turned it on and drove around to another pump and turned off the car. I started to put more gas in, but thought if I had problems the first time, why should I try here again and I started it up and drove to the next station. On the way the gauge started to fill up.

Any thoughts? I'm just happy I was nice and didn't accuse anyone of any wrong doing!

·
Registered
250 Posts
My wife, whenever she sees the fuel gauge on her car is below 1/4, will ask me to put gas in her car. And I always tell her that there is a always a reserver even if the 'empty' light turned on. So I have the same bad habit of making it really close to 'E', and every now and then checking my DIC if I have enough fuel. Thanks to this thread I am changing my habit. Last summer we did a road trip (going to Disneyland) and we went dangerously close to getting stucked in the middle of nowhere. The good thing was that my wife was driving and when she spotted a gas station, she exited right away. Once again, I learned a very important thing from this forum. Thanks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I look at the DIC sometimes but most of the time I rely on the trip miles to let me know if there is an issue with the gauge. For my silverado (recently departed) I would never go beyond 375 miles and the gauge was fairly accurate. Since I am not the primary driver of the Acadia I haven't yet figured out the max range. I have only had one vehicle with a tricky fuel gauge and that was a 95 S-10. If that puppy got to 1/4 tank it would drop to E. Only caught me once thankfully. BTW my wife also never lets the gauge get below 1/4... she actually starts pestering me to stop once we hit the 1/4 mark.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I'll share an anecdotal GM story that may help a few to feel better...

When I was in HS, I worked at a junkyard. My second Corvair (and like 3rd or 4th car overall) was a 1964 convertible rustbucket bought for $65 plus another $20 for a used motor & $10 for some tires.

I got it running and filled it up w/ gas (< $10 at the time :)). I thought, wow, this is getting a LOT better gas mileage than my other one! I thought that up until I ran out of gas with the gauge showing full. Turns out the ground lead on the fuel tank sender had rusted away and on a GM of that era, when this happened, the gauge defaulted to "F".

I made up a new ground lead for it & lesson learned.

·
Registered
635 Posts
You have to remember that this is a long flatter tank as opposed to a shorter and taller tank. The latter will show 4 gallons faster than the one you have now. That may be your problem and once you got the gas moving in there the float started working.

I never let mine get below 1/4 tank. From past days of having a diesel and running it to low and picking up all the "trash" that was in the fuel and bottom of the tank, I will not risk clogging up the lines.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts