GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Got a deep blue Acadia, about 4 months old. I've heard that on these newer cars, the paint is so good that you really don't need to wax them for a long, long time. Thus, use just good car wash and the vehicle will look as good as if you'd waxed it. I'm not totally sure I believe that. Every time I wax a car (especially a dark one) however, I seem to get all those wipe marks in it. Maybe I'm doing it wrong or using the wrong stuff. Nonetheless, I'll probably hold off on the waxing for a bit.

My question: is there any really good car wash solution that will really give it a great shine after it's dried (perhaps with towel or shammy)? I've been using some $5 Armorall car wash from WalMart. What do I know. But I figure there might be something out there better that will keep the car cleaner longer, perhaps condition it somehow, and give it a better shine without waxing.

Thanks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You should seal the car. There's a number of paint sealants available online. Seals last alot longer than waxes, and you can even top a seal with some nice carnauba wax to bring out the color and add another layer of protection. All of your car detailing questions can be answered through either:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/
http://autopia.org/forum/

You can also be lead to where to purchase the products that you wish to use. Whoever told you the car doesn't need wax is incorrect, you can allways add the protective layer of wax and it most definately help. You probably get streaks or wiping marks because you applied too much wax, or used a wax that wasn't very good.

A decent over the counter car wash is Meguiers Gold Class, but I would recommend Duragloss #901 if you can get your hands on it at somewhere like Carquest. I know the Megs Gold Class can be found at any car store.

This is Carbon Metallic sealed with Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and topped with multiple layers of either Pinnacle Signature Series II wax and Pinnacle Souveran wax as well as a spray on wax over a 2 month span in between car washes:

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I wash myself I have used blue coral car wash liquid works fine.Also use a touchless car wash sometimes but the spot free leaves a residue on car and it doesnt shine like I think it should so I go over it with turtle wax ice detailer. For a wax I used turtle wax liquid paste and am very happy with it so far. It doesnt leave any white residue and I use it on everything. My car color is red jewel.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I use Zaino products...they're FABULOUS. Leather cleaner, tire cleaner, car wash EVERYTHING! Wouldn't think of using anything else :thumb:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
apples said:
I use Zaino products...they're FABULOUS. Leather cleaner, tire cleaner, car wash EVERYTHING! Wouldn't think of using anything else :thumb:
I'm right with you. I use ZAIO (all in one), leather cleaner and leather conditioner, tire shine, car wash, etc. I just love these products!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
The car wash liquid itself really does not matter as soap you use on your body really doesn't matter. Meguir and Mother products are really top class and Turtle Wax's new Ice line is impressive. I personally use Meguir Wax as you dry, Meguir NXT paste wax and Turtle Wax Ice polish. The car is almost a year old and shines as good as day one. If you live in a place with hard water (Hawaii) water spot remover and claybar can take off a lot of spots and imperfections that make "detail" people cringe. I have always felt the product is half of the job while the time and effort are the other half.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
As long as the car wash is formulated to not take off the wax, (like dish soap would do), then you are probably right that the car wash itself would not make much difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.