GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am a long-time Acadia owner (since 2010), but new to this forum. Can anyone tell me what the best diagnostic tool to use for the Acadia? My check engine light just came on yesterday and my wife told me the transmission was slipping. I really want to see what the problem is myself before bringing it to a shop. I have already checked the fluid levels and they were good to go. The vehicle is a 2007 model with a little over 140k miles on it. The original transmission went out while the vehicle was still under warranty, so the transmission that's in it now is a refurbished one. It was installed around the 100k mile mark. Any advice on the best tool, or what might be the problem with the transmission would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
When selecting a diagnostic tool, you'll want one which can read ABS, SRS, and other problems that a simple code scanner isn't able to do. Good luck shopping. The choices are many. I searched the 'net for "OBD II diagnostic tool" and got quite a list of what's available.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, thank you both for the response! I have been searching on Amazon and it seems like any code reader that is able to read ABS and SRS codes are about $150+. GM tech 2 is $230. Any advice on the best model to go with? There are so many to choose from and it seems like they are a hit or miss as far as working for different vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
If you want GM only, the best is the Tech 2. Remember though, you'll have to have a software subscription in order to use its full capability - TIS2web, or similar. You're on your own if the desire is to have something which is more versatile for use with other makes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you want GM only, the best is the Tech 2. Remember though, you'll have to have a software subscription in order to use its full capability - TIS2web, or similar. You're on your own if the desire is to have something which is more versatile for use with other makes.
Okay, thank you for the information. I really appreciate it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
Jared07
GMC Acadia Forum
Join our Acadia Forum community where enthusiasts discuss mods and troubleshooting for the GMC Acadia and Denali Crossover SUV.
Full Forum Listing