GMC Acadia Forum banner

Best Dash Camera

7K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Islander_SK 
#1 ·
Hello all. Has anyone installed a dash cam in their Acadia? I have a 2013 Acadia & am interested in having a dash cam installed but don’t really know if I should spend $100 or $400. There are so many dash cams to choose from. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Pick one which has the features you want and let us know how the installation went for you.

#4 ·
When the freak is GM going to start putting them in at the factory??
The last thing cars need is more STUPID! technology - even in their option packages. :mad:

#6 ·
Dash Cam.

I agree with Rexy. The day you'll have an accident is the day you'll want one.

My wife got hit and even though there was witnesses, the other driver insisted it was not his fault. He almost took her to court. The police did not know what to do, and asked me why don't we have a dash cam?!!! Since then we both have one.

I almost got hit by a stupid and reckless police car. Guess who's fault it would have been?? Me, obviously! But the camera would have proven otherwise. It's certainly not stupid.

My kids will soon drive, I see the camera as a must.

There is nothing wrong with recording everything, it's the simple truth. I have nothing to hide, do you?? I'm not saying cameras are magic, but it sure helps.

I once captured videos of a school bus driver that kept cutting people off, right on the school property. He argued he had the absolute priority since he was driving a yellow school bus. When I told him I had videos of him being stupid he changed his driving behavior. I should send those videos to his company anyway. It makes people think.

Should manufacturers include it in their cars? Not sure. There is not missing much for most modern cars: the cameras are there, sensors, computer, ... only missing some firmware and a retreivable storage media. It would be cheap and easy to them, but they will sell it for at least 500$. It's not a distractive technology, there is nothing to do. My camera is an 'install and forget untill you need it' kind of thing. It turns on and off automatically, just make sure you can put the screen in sleep mode automatically.

I have gone through a few different cameras. The problem is most of them are cheap crap from China. And they have to go through a lot with the vibration and the quick changes of temperature. I recently bought the Street Guardian SG9663DC Dual Channel. With a rear camera, which is a must. It's tiny, has all the features, and comes super well equipped. You can even download the video on you cell phone!! Saves the need of a large screen on the camera, which you never get anyway... 350$CAN is pricey, but almost everything else is a waste of money.

The Garmin mentioned above seems good too, but does not have the rear camera. There might be a way to add it.

#8 ·
I've been using Rexing cameras for a few years now. I just put a Rexing V1P 3rd Generation Dual 1080p Full HD Front and Rear in my "new to me" 2019 Acadia. This is my 3rd Rexing camera and I've been happy with all of them. The only thing I wish Rexing did was provide a waterproof rear camera for my convertible...

I've got it wired with an ODB connector. This is my first post, so I can't put any link... You can search OBD2 OBD Power Cable for Dash Camera, Ssontong OBD to Mini USB OBDII Adapter Hardwire Charger Cable on Amazon :)

#11 ·
I have the Rove R1-4k dash cam which I moved from my previous car. Haven't needed any of the video yet but periodically I view old video just to ensure things are working. Some of the video amazes my because I forget how many close calls I have encountered and just brushed them off as everyday events. Wiring it up was a breeze and I only hope I never really need the video but I do feel comfortable knowing it is there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.