GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Acadia owners (and hopefully fans). I was wondering if anyone else had an issue with the middle bench seat shifting slightly when the vehicle is moving? I've heard of a similar problem with the drivers seat, but nothing with the middle bench seat. I sat back there myself when one of the kids complained and it was quite annoying when the vehicle went from stationary to moving and visa versa, you could feel the seat slide somewhat and it just didn't feel completely "locked". My dealer checked it out and said nothing seemed wrong with the seat or it's connection points, although he did admit to noticing this movement as well. However, since they couldn't find anything wrong and there is no TSB related to this problem, there was nothing they could do. To be honest this sounds a bit lame to me. I'm an engineer (although electrical/software versus mechanical) and I have a hard time accepting the answer "we acknowledge your concern but there is nothing we can do". Come on GM, you've got to be able to do better than that!

Any suggestions or input on this concern would be much appreciated. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
542 Posts
No problem with mine.

Sounds frustrating but I can see your dealer's point. What can he do? Monkey around with it? If they try something and it fails in an accident they have a major liability issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
pkeiles said:
Hello fellow Acadia owners (and hopefully fans). I was wondering if anyone else had an issue with the middle bench seat shifting slightly when the vehicle is moving? I've heard of a similar problem with the drivers seat, but nothing with the middle bench seat. I sat back there myself when one of the kids complained and it was quite annoying when the vehicle went from stationary to moving and visa versa, you could feel the seat slide somewhat and it just didn't feel completely "locked". My dealer checked it out and said nothing seemed wrong with the seat or it's connection points, although he did admit to noticing this movement as well. However, since they couldn't find anything wrong and there is no TSB related to this problem, there was nothing they could do. To be honest this sounds a bit lame to me. I'm an engineer (although electrical/software versus mechanical) and I have a hard time accepting the answer "we acknowledge your concern but there is nothing we can do". Come on GM, you've got to be able to do better than that!

Any suggestions or input on this concern would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Sounds like a second opinion at a different dealer is next for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
I cannot believe they agreed it moves and say they cannot find anything wrong. The fact that it moves is wrong. Period!! I would push hard. Tell them if they cannot fix it, you want a new seat installed. That is crap!! It's an expensive car that is supposed to be a comfortable luxurious ride. Not some piece of crap that feels like it was put together as a science project. Don't give up. Force them to fix it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually I did eventually get my "shifting back seat" issue resolved. It took a few visits to the dealer and a meeting with the local GMC representative for them to accept that it needed to be fixed. The problem may have been just because the service manager at my dealership was being a jerk, interestingly enough they evetually replaced that guy with someone else. I guess I wasn't the only one who had issues with him. In any case, they ended up taking the seat out and replacing the seat frame, or something like that, and now it's much better.

So don't give up, they will do something about it if you make enough noise. Now I'm wondering if I want to make a fuss about a small squeek I occasionally hear in the dashboard area or just live with it. Ugh, maybe I'll just ignore it for a while.

Good Luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
pkeiles said:
Now I'm wondering if I want to make a fuss about a small squeek I occasionally hear in the dashboard area or just live with it. Ugh, maybe I'll just ignore it for a while.
This is my worst fear. I have never been successful in having anyone but myself fix squeaks and/or rattles. They just don't have enough time to drive around and really isolate the noise. So they randomly take things apart and try to fix it. My experience has been that they almost always make it worse by adding another noise. So far, I have been successful at eliminating all my squeaks and rattles by persistently pursuing them and solving them myself. But it's not easy.

Good Luck!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
I've got something slightly off-topic, but related. Do any of you bench owners ever have a problem with the seatbelt for the middle seat being stuck in the "locked" position. I can't pull any slack out of the shoulder strap because the internal mechanism thinks it is supposed to be locked. How do you unlock it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
Mine has done this too but it is only when we are moving. If you dont buckle the belt before the vehicle starts to move it doesnt want to release.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
JonTon said:
I've got something slightly off-topic, but related. Do any of you bench owners ever have a problem with the seatbelt for the middle seat being stuck in the "locked" position. I can't pull any slack out of the shoulder strap because the internal mechanism thinks it is supposed to be locked. How do you unlock it?
The belt is designed to lock for installing a car seat. If you pull it all the way out, then it will go into a mode where it locks as it goes back in. So if you are in that seat and you pulled the belt all the way out when you put it on, or you lean forward too far, then it will be locked. To unlock it, you put the belt all the way back in and the pull it back out again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
GAR said:
JonTon said:
I've got something slightly off-topic, but related. Do any of you bench owners ever have a problem with the seatbelt for the middle seat being stuck in the "locked" position. I can't pull any slack out of the shoulder strap because the internal mechanism thinks it is supposed to be locked. How do you unlock it?
The belt is designed to lock for installing a car seat. If you pull it all the way out, then it will go into a mode where it locks as it goes back in. So if you are in that seat and you pulled the belt all the way out when you put it on, or you lean forward too far, then it will be locked. To unlock it, you put the belt all the way back in and the pull it back out again.
Yep I understand all that. The problem is that the shoulder strap is all the way back against the seat and still locked. Sorry, I should have been more clear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
Try folding the seat down flat and shaking it a bit. Then put it back in the upright position.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top