GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I have a 2015 GMC Acadia SLT. It is front wheel drive only. My car has recently had a scraping and squealing coming from the front end of the car. I assumed it was the brakes because it more or less sounded like the brakes were pretty wore and maybe they were starting to be metal on metal. I had the brakes changed and the problem persisted.

My next thought would be the wheel bearing. I then had them replace the wheel bearing that I believed might be the culprit. The issue remains. My mechanic said he didn’t think it was the wheel bearing before he changed it because there wasn’t any play in the wheels and you can hear anything when you rotate them by hand. I’m wondering if he might be right and if anyone had any insight on what else it might be.

It is a rotational sound (you can tell something spinning is the cause) and only happens when in motion. I’m sure it happens at high speeds but I only notice it at lower speeds like driving through my neighborhood. One minute it will be quiet and not making the noise and the next it will be making it. I’m sure that has to do with variations in the road and the car slightly leaning one way or another.

I’m just at a loss and I prefer to avoid a dealership if possible because they are crazy with pricing. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Why wouldn't you let the mechanic locate the problem and fix the car while it was in their shop?

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
Have the mechanic ride with you while you get the car to make its noise. Put the car on a lift and run it in gear at slow speed while raised to listen for the noise from beneath the car.

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
What side of the front end is this noise heard? You don't provide that info in any of your posts.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
The mechanic was unable to make a determination.
You need a different mechanic....especially one that would replace a wheel bearing that did not need to be replaced.

Are you 100% certain the noise is from the front? Pinpointing a noise location while driving can sometimes be difficult.

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
I broke up the lengthy, one-paragraph story in the original post to make it easier for people to follow. I agree with divotdug. Time to find a different mechanic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can remember having an old Chevy pickup making a similar front end noise, did everything to find it, was at a loss. Finally went to a local garage, told the mechanic about it, he said lets go for a ride, before we got out of the parking lot, the noise was there and he said it was the speedometer cable, changed it and the noise was gone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies so far. I cannot say for 100% but it seems to me to be coming from the front. I always drive the vehicle so I had only ever heard it from the drivers side. I rode in it the other day and it seemed louder on the passenger side.

Last night I drove down the street and it didn’t make a noise at all. Came back down the same street and made the noise the whole way. Another bit of info; every now and again the sound turns into a pure squeal for around 2 seconds then goes back to the screeching.

I’m concerned that there is a bearing somewhere further up the line from the wheels that is causing the noise and that it might require going into the transmission or something.

The wheel bearing replacement was not recommended by the mechanic and was only done at my request so that can’t be held against him.

Anyone on here have a mechanic recommendation for Oklahoma City?

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
There are a few review sites on the 'net. Use "mechanic recommendation for Oklahoma City" as your keywords in a search and read what folks local to you have to say.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
The wheel bearing replacement was not recommended by the mechanic and was only done at my request so that can’t be held against him.
That's why self diagnosis is not always a good idea. Tell the tech the symptoms and let them determine the issue.

Your last description does not sound like a wheel bearing. The whining of a wheel bearing usually doesn't come and go. I would be checking the idler and tensioner pulleys.

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
Your last description does not sound like a wheel bearing. The whining of a wheel bearing usually doesn't come and go. I would be checking the idler and tensioner pulleys.
My thought was to check the rear of the car, too. It's a "while rolling" noise. Maybe there's a brake shield loose, or broken. It could even be something which came apart in the parking brake drum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
4 Participants
speleos
GMC Acadia Forum
Join our Acadia Forum community where enthusiasts discuss mods and troubleshooting for the GMC Acadia and Denali Crossover SUV.
Full Forum Listing