GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone...

Overnight I have noticed a noise coming from my front left wheel area. At first I thought my tires getting worn down. So I rotated the tires and the noise did not change. So I took my vehicle to my GMC dealer b/c I was worried it was possibly a bearing issue.

They claim they put a stethoscope to the wheel and did not pick up any strange noise and said my tires were cupped.

The noise varries...not by the road variances...but on it's own. hard to describe on a forum...but it goes from a high pitched frmm frmm frmm frmm to a high pitched frmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm frmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm frmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm frmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. That probably makes no sense...but I tried.

I just purchased 4 brand new tires and the noise is exactly the same with the new tires. Zero difference.

The noise is most noticable above 45 MPH. At highway speeds I have found out that the noise is the same if I'm going straight or going thru a right hand curve. But a left hand curve will make the noise quiet down substantially. It is always there. very predictable and it doesn't matter what type of road I'm on (concrete/blacktop)...the noise sounds the same. it's loud enough that it's tough to hear people talk on my cell phone.

I drive tons of highway miles and certainly cannot afford to have something like this go bad on me...

Any idea's...could this still be a bearing...or something else?

Thank you,

Dan

·
Super Moderator
22,405 Posts
Dan,

New tires - Same noise - I'd say back to the dealer you go and take your service writer for a ride to listen while you drive. Point out the noise and where you hear it emanating from the vehicle. You should get resolution to this problem by doing so.
8)

Bruce

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Agree w/ speleos, be sure to show them the receipt for new tires. I wore out the bearings in a 1988 Mustang courtesy of a favorite off ramp and it was like a loud rumble going down the road.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
+1 for a wheel bearing. The way the noise stops when you turn left and unload the left front wheel makes me think this.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
RedRocker said:
Hi Everyone...

Overnight I have noticed a noise coming from my front left wheel area. At first I thought my tires getting worn down. So I rotated the tires and the noise did not change. So I took my vehicle to my GMC dealer b/c I was worried it was possibly a bearing issue.

They claim they put a stethoscope to the wheel and did not pick up any strange noise and said my tires were cupped.

The noise varries...not by the road variances...but on it's own. hard to describe on a forum...but it goes from a high pitched frmm frmm frmm frmm to a high pitched frmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm frmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm frmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm frmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. That probably makes no sense...but I tried.

I just purchased 4 brand new tires and the noise is exactly the same with the new tires. Zero difference.

The noise is most noticable above 45 MPH. At highway speeds I have found out that the noise is the same if I'm going straight or going thru a right hand curve. But a left hand curve will make the noise quiet down substantially. It is always there. very predictable and it doesn't matter what type of road I'm on (concrete/blacktop)...the noise sounds the same. it's loud enough that it's tough to hear people talk on my cell phone.

I drive tons of highway miles and certainly cannot afford to have something like this go bad on me...

Thank you,

Dan
A bearing would be my guess as well, How many miles do you have on it?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
6Sixathome said:
RedRocker said:
Hi Everyone...

[size=10pt]They claim they put a stethoscope to the wheel and did not pick up any strange noise and said my tires were cupped.[/size][/color]

Thank you,

Dan
So they used the stethoscope while the vehicle was sitting there? What a sight that would be! "Yeah I don't hear anything"

·
Registered
540 Posts
jsimms said:
6Sixathome said:
RedRocker said:
Hi Everyone...

[size=10pt]They claim they put a stethoscope to the wheel and did not pick up any strange noise and said my tires were cupped.[/size][/color]

Thank you,

Dan
So they used the stethoscope while the vehicle was sitting there? What a sight that would be! "Yeah I don't hear anything"
They run the vehicle on a lift and check it at speed with the stethoscope. Common way to check.

Bobby

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone...I have 47,000 miles on the vehicle. My guess is this is more of a rare problem and the dealer is actually surprised to see something like this going on.

I think I'm going to have to go back to have them look at it again.

If they ran that stethoscope at only 30 MPH they probably wouldn't have picked up anything...

Much appreciated!!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
RedRocker said:
Thank you everyone...I have 47,000 miles on the vehicle. My guess is this is more of a rare problem and the dealer is actually surprised to see something like this going on.

I think I'm going to have to go back to have them look at it again.

If they ran that stethoscope at only 30 MPH they probably wouldn't have picked up anything...

Much appreciated!!!
I know when we run a vehicle on a lift you have to watch to make sure it is secure,so higher speed you have to watch out on a lift. Also when on a lift you don't have the same load on the bearing. Most of the times it is the right front that goes bad due to hitting curbs and road side pot holes. Have both sides checked on a road test and lift again. While it up on the lift have them check the rear hub bearings also. You say it changes tone on left turns . Thats because the left wheel is slowing down and the right is speeding you to make the turn. If you are just turn left slightly (like on a highway turn) it might still be the bearing but something else could be shifting and causing the noise. It's hard to diagnose when you can't hear it. Also beware if you are towed. Tow trucks secure your vehicle with J hooks and some times they hook it to stuff they shouldn't. Let us know how you make out.

Bobby

·
Super Moderator
22,405 Posts
Lift - Schmift! Take someone for a ride. You can't duplicate road vibes and groans and whatnot on a lift. Unfortunately, warranty doesn't pay techs for a roadtest diagnosis. That's why a lot of these problems go unrepaired. Make the vehicle produce the noise while you drive it. :blob:

BTW, Bobby- Good tow operators have all the equipment and knowhow to hook anything to their rig without causing undue harm to the vehicle. Most of them will even send you a rollback if you request one.

·
Registered
540 Posts
speleos said:
Lift - Schmift! Take someone for a ride. You can't duplicate road vibes and groans and whatnot on a lift. Unfortunately, warranty doesn't pay techs for a roadtest diagnosis. That's why a lot of these problems go unrepaired. Make the vehicle produce the noise while you drive it. :blob:

BTW, Bobby- Good tow operators have all the equipment and knowhow to hook anything to their rig without causing undue harm to the vehicle. Most of them will even send you a rollback if you request one.
Most of the damage I have seen is from flatbed tows. When securing the vehicle to the bed I have seen tierods bent,axle boots torn,and exhausts bent. When its dark,your on the side of a highway,and you want to get going mistakes are made. Maybe they were not "Good" tow companies but they were there and towed these cars into the dealer. We had to deal with angry customers for the tow company they hired or got stuck with.

Bobby

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
speleos said:
...BTW, Bobby- Good tow operators have all the equipment and knowhow to hook anything to their rig without causing undue harm to the vehicle. Most of them will even send you a rollback if you request one.
The same can be said for many occupations. In my past career, I worked with several wrecker companies at crash scenes. The worst one I ever saw used to pick up burned out stolen cars with just a single boom cable wrapped over the roof of the burned out car onto the underside of the car, with the front pressed against the boom/rear of the tow truck. This driver was too lazy to properly dolly the car. Fortunately, I'm not aware of the cable ever failing. While I'll admit there was a perceived stereotype for wrecker drivers by some in law enforcement, I also have to say I saw many that took shortcuts that I felt were detrimental to the car being towed. Again fortunately these cars had already been wrecked to the point of needing a tow.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
speleos said:
Dan,

New tires - Same noise - I'd say back to the dealer you go and take your service writer for a ride to listen while you drive.[/color]. Point out the noise and where you hear it emanating from the vehicle. You should get resolution to this problem by doing so.
8)

Bruce
This should help determine the cause of the noise

·
Super Moderator
22,405 Posts
Well, I certainly hope RedRocker is off to his dealer for another check of the problem. This former Service Writer only wished to give him the advice I used while at the dealership. I said to the customer, "Let's go for a ride. You drive and I'll listen." It usually worked out to everyone's benefit.

Towing is in another thread. Let's keep it there, okay.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again for everyone's help and idea's! I found out that putting a "load" on the wheel made all the difference for the service technician. The first time they did not do this (simply spun it at 70 mph on the lift with no load on tire/wheel). the second technician (second visit) did a actual road test and found the noise immediately. I wan't not able to do a ride with them myself due to work...dealership found the problem themselves.

It was a bearing...easy fix. Had parts in house and was done quickly.

Thanks again for all the ideas! LOVE this website!

Dan

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Glad to hear you got her fixed; I think this is the first bearing issue I've heard about. If those bearings had locked up while you were in motion could have caused a lot of damage :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
RedRocker said:
Thanks again for everyone's help and ideas! I found out that putting a "load" on the wheel made all the difference for the service technician. The first time they did not do this (simply spun it at 70 mph on the lift with no load on tire/wheel). the second technician (second visit) did a actual road test and found the noise immediately. I was not able to do a ride with them myself due to work...dealership found the problem themselves.

It was a bearing...easy fix. Had parts in house and was done quickly.

Thanks again for all the ideas! LOVE this website!

Dan
We should hit up GM for a consultant fee. ;D Glad to hear your mystery problem is solved.

·
Super Moderator
22,405 Posts
Way to go, Dan! :clap:

·
Registered
36 Posts
RedRocker, how much did the bearing set you back at the dealer, or did they cover it?  I don't think this is a powertrain item... right?

MMDF said:
I did both sides.....
MMDF, what do you mean, both sides. All the bearings??? Front back, issues? Did you do this yourself or did you have them done at the dealer? Your post prompts questions.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts