GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to replace battery in my 2015 GMC Acadia SLT-2. I don't know the specs on the previous battery. Long story but i switched the battery from this car into another car (2008 with same chassis) before i got rid of the 2008 car and did not pay attention to what the exact type the 2015 OEM battery was. The 2008 had a bad alternator and the battery did take a charge. But the battery from the 2008 car is 5 years old and if I leave my 2015 Acadia's stereo running or DVD player running i get a low battery warning pretty fast so i want to preemptively replace it after the alternator issues i had with the 2008. No fun.

These 3 all say exact fit from my local place online.
AGM H6, 760 CCA
RP H6, 730 CCA, 910 CA, 120 RC
H6, 730 CCA

Which is the best battery for my 2015 GMC Acadia SLT-2?

·
Super Moderator
23,548 Posts
Fitment charts are usually accurate. Get the battery that's within your price range and warranty expectations.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Everything I see calls for a group 48/H6. While more expensive, AGM batteries generally last longer than their flooded lead acid counter parts. I also like the AGM for an Acadia because of the battery's location.

As @speleos posted, buy the one that best fits your budget. Walmart has pretty good prices on batteries. I have one in my 38 year old Corvette and it has held up quite well.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Agree with AGM is a good choice especially if keeping the vehicle and the inconvenient location of the battery under the floor.
However, if the Acadia is not driven for a week or more or driven short trips, I would also recommend having a battery maintainer connected up to it at least weekly overnight to maintain the battery charge.
This is actually good to do is you live in a cold winter climate regardless of the type of battery.

Short trips and cold weather take a toll on a battery. And AGM batteries generally do not take well to being regularly run down or not optimally charged.

·
Super Moderator
23,548 Posts
Battery location isn't a consideration when it comes to selecting a wet cell or AGM battery. Both have to be vented to the outside in order to expel gases produced from chemical reaction inside the battery. IMO, AGM batteries are simply novelty purchases.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,548 Posts
The only real difference in size between Group 48 (factory battery) and H6 (replacement) is length. Group 48 batteries feature dimensions of 306 x 175 x 192 mm. The H6 battery is 278 x 175 x 190 mm. That's only about an inch on one side. Height is a mere 2 millimeters. BFD!

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Battery location isn't a consideration when it comes to selecting a wet cell or AGM battery. Both have to be vented to the outside in order to expel gases produced from chemical reaction inside the battery. IMO, AGM batteries are simply novelty purchases.
Another year or so it won't matter. We are all either going the way of dinosaurs or driving EV's.

Wonder when the President will start flying on an EV Air Force One :)

·
Super Moderator
23,548 Posts
Wonder when the President will start flying on an EV Air Force One :)
Gotta first wear out the 2 new ones which are scheduled for delivery soon.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
The only real difference in size between Group 48 (factory battery) and H6 (replacement) is length. Group 48 batteries feature dimensions of 306 x 175 x 192 mm. The H6 battery is 278 x 175 x 190 mm. That's only about an inch on one side. Height is a mere 2 millimeters. BFD!
One inch in length then allows some space and less cramping and finger pinching.
Not to mention a few less pounds of weight which is another reason car makers have often gone the AGM route.

·
Super Moderator
23,548 Posts
They prefer a battery that's a pound or two lighter so they can pack more tech toys into their product. LOL

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
More power to them I guess. Whatever sells the vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
23,548 Posts
Then there are those who don't give a sh*t because it's all the manufacturer (or dealer) has to offer.

·
Registered
397 Posts
AGM is just a better battery all around. Now that their prices are lower than they used to be they are worth the difference.

AGM is what most mfgs use anymore. Just a better battery and less likely to short out due to scale in side. They can take more shake and a use too.

·
Super Moderator
23,548 Posts
How come they don't seem to last as long as wet cells? A lot of people here are complaining about bad batteries after less than 3 years of use. Wet cell batteries have lasted >9 years in all my previous vehicles since I started purchasing new ones - and that includes two company trucks.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
How come they don't seem to last as long as wet cells? A lot of people here are complaining about bad batteries after less than 3 years of use. Wet cell batteries have lasted >9 years in all my previous vehicles since I started purchasing new ones - and that includes two company trucks.
Newer vehicles much more demanding on batteries, electrical.

·
Super Moderator
23,548 Posts
Newer vehicles much more demanding on batteries, electrical.
I don't believe that for a New York minute. Modern electronics operate on low voltage and pull such little amperage that it should have almost no bearing on battery life. Y'all can Dr. Fauci this forum all you want. Every time someone posts a statement like that, I start laughing.

·
Super Moderator
23,548 Posts
Dr Fauci the forum?
... Heck, maybe battery quality is not as good...
That's by design, not workmanship. We're at a new dawn of planned obsolescence.

Reactions: divotdug

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Everything I see calls for a group 48/H6. While more expensive, AGM batteries generally last longer than their flooded lead acid counter parts. I also like the AGM for an Acadia because of the battery's location.

As @speleos posted, buy the one that best fits your budget. Walmart has pretty good prices on batteries. I have one in my 38 year old Corvette and it has held up quite well.
That 38 year old battery must be some type of record.

gmc

1 - 20 of 35 Posts