GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new battery which is 680CCA. At the terminals under the hood, it tests at 437CCA & says to charge & retest. Directly checking at the battery it shows 837CCA. I’m really confused now. Is this a possible cable issue between the battery, the terminal under the hood, &/or the cable to the starter?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
What instrument are you using to make these measurements?

Did you clean all terminal connections before making the test?

George

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used a Pulse Tech Battery Analyzer and double checked that with the analyzer at the auto parts store. Yes, all the terminals were cleaned with the same results after cleaning.

·
Super Moderator
20,566 Posts
Did you remove the (+) lug under the hood and throughly clean the underside where it's attached to the cables? Frankly, I wouldn't trust that lug as a battery or cable test point. A few members have had problems using a jump box on both lugs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same issue when I used my battery tester. The battery tested good when checked directly but failed when checked at the posts under the hood. I suspect that there are too many connections between the battery and the under hood terminals to get an accurate reading. I have also had little success using the under hood posts as jumping points compared to connecting jumper cables directly to the battery. This has happened on more than one brand of vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you remove the (+) lug under the hood and throughly clean the underside where it's attached to the cables? Frankly, I wouldn't trust that lug as a battery or cable test point. A few members have had problems using a jump box on both lugs.
Yes sir, I did remove the +lug & wire brushed it & tightened it back real well. I will try another grounding point & advise. Thanks !

·
Registered
72 Posts
Too much cable loss between the battery and the lugs. The only accurate way is to test at the battery. That cable from the battery is shockingly small, I guess anything to save weight and cost...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts