GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 Acadia, 2nd Generation, All Terrain started this morning and instantly displayed the check engine light. A rattle type noise could be heard through the grille. I shut the engine off and ran my errands in another vehicle. When I returned a couple hours later, absolutely nothing electrical was working. I had to manually open the door because of the lack of any electrical power. (The battery was replaced exactly one year ago by the local GMC dealership.) When I connected my jump starter box, the dash lit up for a second and the starter spun over but not enough to start the engine. The jumper box was fully charged when I first connected it to the battery and on the first attempt the horn started blowing and would not stop until I disconnected the jumper box. After that I could only get the dash lights to illuminate but the starter would not engage.
I tried connecting my battery charger with no success. When I had the original battery replaced a year ago I was able to jump start the vehicle and drive it to the dealership .
My question is what keeps me from jump starting the battery... I am almost positive that the one year old battery has shorted out. I called the dealership and was told that it would be next week before they could preformed diagnostics but they can check the battery now if I can get it to them.
Has anyone else had this problem and was it the battery or something else that drained the battery and caused it to short circuit?

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Make sure you have good connections on your clamps and what youre attaching to.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
It was the battery..
That would have been my guess. Even a 1 year old battery can fail for various reasons.

How long was it on a stock shelf? Was the Acadia driven for mainly short trips or unused due to COVID and work at home ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The time on the shelf before being installed is unknown. The vehicle is driven is almost daily with most trips between 15 and 30 miles, although the day before the failure, the vehicle had sat all day... The dealership performed a test of the electrical system and determined that the alternator nor any other possible electrical connection was bad.
Something that concerns me is the On Star monthly system Diagnostics , I think it is a key off battery drain. .. l plan to cancel my On Star.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts