GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 GMC Acadia SLT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knew the batter was old when I bought the car - this morning, the battery light came on, went to auto store and got new battery - installed new batter with no issues.
now, the white battery light won't go off. drove it around the block for 10 minutes, light still on. charging normal,
is there a "reset function" that has to occur to make the light go off ? Check Engine Light does NOT come on.
I'm at a loss here.
John

·
Registered
2014 GMC Acadia SLT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
the battery charging dial on the far right side - does that show charging ? or, just battery condition.
the "red" battery light in the main cluster goes off when all the stuff clears.
OBII = indicates no codes thrown

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
If you put a meter across the battery terminals without the engine running. . . what is the voltage?
Start the engine and take some voltage readings as the engine runs for 5 to 10 minutes. The voltage after a start should be higher and then taper off as the engine runs. If not . . . the alternator may not be doing it's job or possibly proper voltage or charging isn't being sensed by the BCM/ECM.
I think there is a sensor on the negative battery cable that is one place to check and see it that connection is good and the sensor is functioning.

·
Registered
2014 GMC Acadia SLT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys, being a complete stranger to the "newer" automobiles, will any damage occur if I take the positive cable off the battery while the car is running ?

·
Super Moderator
22,619 Posts
... will any damage occur if I take the positive cable off the battery while the car is running ?
Probably. That's not a recommended troubleshooting method any more. It could fry the ECM and other electronics.

Reactions: John Smith_inFL

·
Registered
2014 GMC Acadia SLT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Why would you want to do that?
\
George
George - in the world before the computer brain on cars, if you disconnected a battery cable while the car is running, and the motor keeps running, the alternator is providing power directly to the motor, not the battery.
if the motor dies when the cable is removed, it usually means the alternator is not good.
BUT - with all these new fangled electronic circuits nowadays, it could damage something that would cost more to fix than replacing the alternator. . . . . I just don't know this stuff.
LOL this is why I piddle around with wood and not car repairs.
(the car will be dropped off at my local, family owned, NAPA auto repair shop tomorrow).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts