Votes: 0 0.0%
  • did not notice

• no problem

Battery Level- Engine Start Hesitation

7K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  johnway 
#1 ·
The last time I used my vehicle was June 10, 10PM.
I went home from work today, switched car and drove the Acadia 11:30AM back to work. I noticed that there was a slight hesitation when I fired the ignition..very slight but very noticeable. I very much remember how smooth it was to start the engine. I also remember that the battery was always way over the mid (13A?) level. I've been asking myself what is the norm. Today, the level just read flat mid (or 13A?). Anyone experience this?
I remember reading some thread about Acadias failing to start the engine after days of inactivity. Is this related?
Thanks for chipping in your ideas.

#2 ·
I haven't had any trouble starting my veh but after it had a day off while I drove my accord the Acadia battery level was right in the middle (I don't remember the number but the gauge was sitting horizontal). When I drive it daily and for longer times the battery gauge goes up a few numbers and is sitting at an upward angle.

The dip in battery level would also go along w/the info in the onstar packet. It's been a while since I read it but I remember it mentioning if the veh has been sitting for 48hrs w/out being started they can't do several of their functions. I don't think they can do the unlock, flash the lights and horn, etc. I also think there was a post a while back about someones battery dieing after sitting a week or so.

It does seem odd to me that the battery would die that quickly. My accord has sat for a week and starts right up w/out any problems. But then again my accord is an 02 and doesn't have all the features the Acadia has. I thought they mentioned when I got the Accord that the lojack was a constant (although small) drain on the battery. With all of the features in the Acadia is that true as well? Would that explain the drop in battery level if the veh is not started daily? Just wondering.

Tami

#3 ·
Read page 221 of the Owner's Manual. Based on the information found there, it seems there is no cause for alarm where the gauge readings are concerned. In fact, note that the gauge is not even monitoring the battery while the motor is running, but instead, it's the charging system being monitored.

On the other hand, dead batteries or hard starting are another matter. As for the latter, I have noticed in other posts where many people are only using 87 Octane fuel. In addiiton, who knows whether anyone really knows or cares what TOP TIER gas means (page 387)

Many people assume that 89 Octane is only needed for towing. However, note on page 388 that it indicates "For best performance.....use middle grade 89 octane unleaded gasoline." Note that towing is addressed as an "OR" to this statement.

Point is, I have been using 89 octane Shell exclusively since purchasing my vehicle 4/28. I've had streaks where the car has been driven every day. I've had streaks where it has sat for days. I have had zero performance issues.

For information on brands that meet TOP TIER standards (there are strict requirements!!) go to www.toptiergas.com

Hope this helps :thumb:

#6 ·
How do we test this? We are going to Maine with a side trip to Boston for two weeks. The Acadia will have to sit at the airport for that time. Should I be worried it won't start? I think it has only sat for two days without someone wanting to drive it. Can the dealer test the battery and see if there is a drain?

#7 ·
I have been driving my vehicle everyday since I encountered the issue.
No hesitation noticed during starting and the Battery Level (?) is always above the mid (13) level.

#8 ·
Mine often sits all week not driven with no problems.

#9 ·
Mckcab, I'll drive it for you while you are here in Maine, as I wait for mine to come in. ;D Enjoy your visit...beyond the pollen, things are beautiful up here right now. PM me if you have any questions on Maine.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.