GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if the standard stereo that comes with the SLE is really that bad? I got a great quote from a dealership, but the stereo is not one of the upgrades. I'm assuming that since the upgrade includes all the A/C features, you can't just "upgrade" it aftermarket - right? So if I'm stuck with the basic stereo, I just want to make sure its not awful!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Define "awful".

I think as long as you're not looking to vibrate the mirrors of the vehicles around you at stop lights, this stereo system is sufficient. I'm okay with it. It vibrates my mirrors, can't say what it's doing to others. Of course, I'm not looking for my vehicle to be an all out entertainment system either. It's a car with a radio.

I think it all depends on what you are expecting. Bring some CDs with you to the dealership, pop them into a nearby SLE and go to town. That's about all I can suggest. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm listening XM radio most time. It's great. I had XM in my old car and it wasn't great as this radio. The cd ok. I'm not sure what r you looking , but Bose probably will better, but I'm not a big fan of it. The bose system has very unpleasant low frequencies for listing in the car.

·
Registered
395 Posts
It's not bad. The head unit itself is probably the same as the Bose, with only one CD instead of 6. There is also no subwoofer and the speakers are crappy paper & plastic jobs. The speakers can easily be upgraded. Adding an amplifier is trickier since there are only speaker level outputs. Same with adding a sub. There are adaptors to allow installation of aftermarket head units. One other advantage of adding the Bose is that you get the automatic climate controls. You can also (apparently) add the DIC buttons (not an official option- you buy it at the parts counter, plug it in and reprogram).

·
Registered
683 Posts
I think you are referring to the static and speed compensation issues that others have discussed on this board. My SLE with base stereo has experienced the static issue and it is quite annoying. However I either don't notice it anymore or it mysteriously has fixed itself. I've owned since March '07 and have 6000 miles on it. Overall system could use more oomph, but its everyday liveable if you ask me. I have found that CD sound is ten times better than standard radio though...but I don't use the CD much either.

As for aftermarket, I'm sure you can easily swap the stereo as long as you get the required cables. http://www.crutchfield.com has some options already and will help with any cables, etc you may need.

Overall if you got a great quote from the dealer on the vehicle you want, I wouldn't let something like a $100 stereo(assuming average aftermarket cost) prevent you from purchasing. Check out the radio on a test drive before you commit, but remember not all people have experienced static issues, and something such as the sound of a stereo system is a very subjective by each individual listening to it.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I don't consider a car stero all that important just because I think the road noise of any vehicle tends to degrade the effects of a very high quality stero. That being said, I would rate the stereo on my SLE as less than satisfactory. No static, but not great reception and the tone quality is very good either.

·
Registered
112 Posts
jseck2 said:
It's not bad. The head unit itself is probably the same as the Bose, with only one CD instead of 6. There is also no subwoofer and the speakers are crappy paper & plastic jobs. The speakers can easily be upgraded. Adding an amplifier is trickier since there are only speaker level outputs. Same with adding a sub. There are adaptors to allow installation of aftermarket head units. One other advantage of adding the Bose is that you get the automatic climate controls. You can also (apparently) add the DIC buttons (not an official option- you buy it at the parts counter, plug it in and reprogram).
R u sure? I have interest to upgarde it. do u know how much?
Thanks

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think this is one of those "different strokes for different folks" type of thing.

When I was test driving Acadia's, I thought the standard stereo in the SLE was very tinny sounding and didn't have any depth to it. I chose to upgrade to the 6-Disk Bose system with the tri-zone climate control and am very happy I did so. Firstly, just the upgraded climate controls make the upgrade worth it, but also I think the Bose system has a bit more of the depth to the sound that the base system didn't have.

However, if it were my parents (in their late 50s) purchasing the same vehicle, they wouldn't have cared less about the sound of the stereo.

Good luck with your decision!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts