GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a little help with buying some gear for towing. My Acadia has the towing package that I got just in case I needed to tow something in the future. I don't have a trailor or boat or anything but if I need to tow I want to be ready. Ok, so here are my questions -

What ball mount drop are most of you using? I know the proper way to find out what drop you should use however, as I stated above I am not buying for a specific trailor. I just want to have one in case I need it. If I could get an idea of what most people are currently using, then I could get something that is good for general towing. Since we all have Acadias I am hoping most of us will be using the same drop.

What size ball are you using on your ball mount? I know this isn't specific to the Acadia but instead specific to whatever you are hauling. I'm just trying to get a general idea of what most people have got.

Sorry for such basic questions. I am new to all of this and am just looking for some general info on what other Acadia owners are doing. Thanks. :cheers:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Personally i would just get the standard drop receiver with a 2" ball. No need to go with the 2 5/16" ball since it's designed for heavier loads than the Acadia is rated for. With the standard drop, if it's too low, you can just remove the ball and flip it over and reinstall the ball. Every situation will be different as trailers/boats etc aren't going to be the same tongue weight. You could also get a 1 7/8" ball for small trailers. They also make receivers that have both balls attached, just flip it over. Lots and lots of options out there.
Jerry

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would get a 2" ball since most trailers use this size.
I have a 4 x 8 utility trailer that accepts a 2" ball and has a coupler that sits 14" off the ground which requires a 5 1/4" drop.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I agree that most applications use the 2" ball. I tow my 18' Skeeter Fish and Ski behind mine. I have a standard 2" drop ball mount on mine and it works perfect. The acadia doesnt squat at all with the boat behind it and it the 2" drop puts most standard size trailers level behind it. :cheers:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JLF said:
Personally i would just get the standard drop receiver with a 2" ball. No need to go with the 2 5/16" ball since it's designed for heavier loads than the Acadia is rated for. With the standard drop, if it's too low, you can just remove the ball and flip it over and reinstall the ball.
Is the standard drop receiver 2"?

·
Registered
428 Posts
The shortest drop I have found has been 2 inches. There probably is shorter ones available but at most stores the shortest they stock is the 2".

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have a 4" drop with 1-7/8" ball for my utility trailer with 8" wheels.

I have a 2" drop with 2" ball for my boat trailer with 14" wheels.

I depends, just get whatever keeps the tongue level. On my Windstar, I used the 4" drop upside down with the boat trailer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts