GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 1500 miles on our car and are well beyond the typical break-in period. The smell is a faint natural gas / propane smell and it hasn't gone away. Has anyone else experienced this smell? Was it fixed by the dealer or what happened? The smell is very bothersome because we have small children and don't know if it is harmful.

Thanks,

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had the same issue but at 3K it has nearly all but gone. It was probably some stuff just burning off of the engine as it took at least 10-15 minutes fior it to happen. Wait it out another 1K-2K and it should go away.

·
Registered
165 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is my first post :) I just picked up my 2008 SLE Blue-Gold tonight. On our way home I noticed the same smell you are talking about. I told my husband that it smelled like natural gas (which I thought I was crazy because I know the car doesn't have natural gas in it). I too am a bit concerned about it as we have a 9 month old baby. I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one experiencing this and am assuming this is a normal thing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would agree. I have a new 08 with 500 miles and it does smell a bit funny after I get out of the car in the garage. Maybe this is common?

And congrats Mrs. G. I also have a 10 1/2 month old son! Our first!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I had the same smell burning stuff off the engine but it went away afer a few days, never smelled it again.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Ditto.. We had it too. Goes away quickly, something must be burning off the engine, or exhaust. After 5k miles never smelled it again. :thumb: Congrats!

·
Registered
130 Posts
The problem is that the in-coming air vents are designed under the hood in front of windshield. While most (old) cars have these vents visible outside, so air is usually dried. However, Acadia, may include its other siblings like Buick Enclave, Chevrolete Traverse, and Saturn Outlook, have these vents under the hood. When using re-circlulating air conditioner, there may have some moisture still remain in there or inside the duct. After some times, it causes smelling like mildew. So, if you open the hood, spray some water into these vents to flush out. Then turn the a/c fan (without a/c on), you should notice that most smell is gone. To make it even better, spray just little air refreshment into these vents. In addition, let the fan blowing high without a/c after each trip for about a few seconds. It helps to dry out all moisture in the a/c duct. Hope this trick will fix your odor smell problem

·
Registered
23 Posts
hungtdao said:
The problem is that the in-coming air vents are designed under the hood in front of windshield. While most (old) cars have these vents visible outside, so air is usually dried. However, Acadia, may include its other siblings like Buick Enclave, Chevrolete Traverse, and Saturn Outlook, have these vents under the hood. When using re-circlulating air conditioner, there may have some moisture still remain in there or inside the duct. After some times, it causes smelling like mildew. So, if you open the hood, spray some water into these vents to flush out. Then turn the a/c fan (without a/c on), you should notice that most smell is gone. To make it even better, spray just little air refreshment into these vents. In addition, let the fan blowing high without a/c after each trip for about a few seconds. It helps to dry out all moisture in the a/c duct. Hope this trick will fix your odor smell problem
Does anybody know where these vents are located? Can someone take a picture?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Open your hood and you will see vents below the windshield

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same smell in my car! I feel like everyone thought I was crazy! I brought it in to the dealer after only a week that we purchased it and they told me to give it a few hundred miles to see if it goes away. I brought it back a month later and they couldn't figure out what was wrong. I have three kids in the car and I was concerned. I brought it again last week after having the car since April and I was told a pipe was turned the wrong way and was causing the fumes to circulate inside of car. We got the car back Wednesday and it STILL smells. I smell a natural gas too. That is what I described to the mechanic. Please someone tell me what I can do. I have brought it in three times!

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Hi kfdakis,

That sounds frustrating! I would like to assist in a resolution. If you could provide me with your name, address, phone number, VIN, vehicle mileage, and name of involved dealer via private message, I can speak with your dealership regarding the issue. I hope to get this resolved quickly for you!

Jessica
GMC Customer Care

kfdakis said:
I have the same smell in my car! I feel like everyone thought I was crazy! I brought it in to the dealer after only a week that we purchased it and they told me to give it a few hundred miles to see if it goes away. I brought it back a month later and they couldn't figure out what was wrong. I have three kids in the car and I was concerned. I brought it again last week after having the car since April and I was told a pipe was turned the wrong way and was causing the fumes to circulate inside of car. We got the car back Wednesday and it STILL smells. I smell a natural gas too. That is what I described to the mechanic. Please someone tell me what I can do. I have brought it in three times!

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'm betting that everyone in this thread who complains about a propane smell has an AWD.

The source of the propane smell is the vent from the transfer case of the AWD System. It is venting the internals of the transfer case, which contains 75W-90 Hypoid Gear Oil, which is sulfur-based.

GM has a kit that relocates the exit of the vent to the back end of the car. Ask your dealership about installing this kit.

An interim stop-gap proposed by GM was to install a charcoal-impregnated A/C cabin filter, but that was more of a masking step, than a true solution (i.e., relocating the vent exit).

·
Registered
6 Posts
We just bought 2013 AWD Acadia. Have same smell that is coming in through the vents. It is making my kids sick and I am concerned for their health. Is this kit available for the 2013 models?
I took our Acadia to the dealership, but of course, they could find anything. We are also only averaging 13.5 mpg…could this be related? Please help.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
im guessing its a gear oil type smell?

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Target88,

We certainly want to look into this concern for you. Please private message us your name, VIN, phone number, and the name of your GM dealership. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Erica Tiffany (Assisting Jessica)
GMC Customer Care

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Acadia is at the dealership. They said they could not smell anything so they left me a message saying they gave it to a technician to drive home. Do they not know about the kit?

·
Registered
186 Posts
i did not experience this in mine, but i had a loaner Denali AWD for a few days while they fixed some stuff on mine under warranty and the smell was terrible. To the point of giving you a headache. It had 900 miles on it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts