GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else notice that in the C&D article it states the backup camera is an option on the Acadia.

I never saw it as an option.

Very strange.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I like C&D but they have been wrong before. I did notice that the backup camera is available on the Enclave, so I would not be surprised if it was added to the Acadia at some point.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I thought I read someplace it was on the Nav. equiped cars...I may be wrong...

Adam

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Adam Boca said:
I thought I read someplace it was on the Nav. equiped cars...I may be wrong...

Adam
Well, that would be sweet.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yeah, when you put the gear shift in reverse it appears...I have seen it on many cars, so not 100% sure if it is on the Acadia or not...

Adam

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
It is not on the current Acadias. It looks like GMC will add it as an available accessory some time in the future.

Kelly

·
Registered
360 Posts
No biggie for me since my wife and I are not getting Nav....It is a great feature though!

Adam

·
Registered
15 Posts
It is a nice feature. My brother-in-law has it on his Lexus SUV and it works well using the Nav. screen[/c.olor]

·
Registered
125 Posts
I did a 24-hour test drive of a 2007 Yukon Denali last week; its backup camera was soooo much better than the three-light backup sensor. Does take some getting used to though.

I'm ordering an SLT-2 this Saturday and wish the camera was available...oh well, maybe in four years when I lease again! Of course, it'd be the Acadia Denali at that point...

D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Gills said:
I did a 24-hour test drive of a 2007 Yukon Denali last week; its backup camera was soooo much better than the three-light backup sensor. Does take some getting used to though.
I have a question about these backup camera systems. So when you backup, you're supposed to look forwards to focus on a little tv screen that's looking backwards? What happens to traffic approaching from the sides? When backing out of my driveway, or in parking lots, the place I'm looking most is out the rear side windows, for approaching traffic. Do these backup cameras offer a 180+degree field of view?

·
Registered
15 Posts
The camera is simply to aid you in seeing better an area that is hard to see. You still have to look around like usual.[/color]

·
Registered
125 Posts
You definitely still have to look around; I used the camera at the first and last stages of backing up, first to make sure there were no obstacles immediately behind, then at the end mostly to ensure I was all the way back in the spot.

The camera does offer a wide field of vision, but nowhere near enough to rely on it alone -- in fact there's a warning on the screen that reminds the driver to look around, not just use the screen alone.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Yeah, you use it like another rearview mirror. When you first start backing up, it would be a great way to insure nothing is directly behind your car, then you could keep check how close you were to a curb or another parked car as you approached, etc. You definitely still have to look around though. When shopping for the Acadia, we test drove a new Pacifica that had a backup camera. They are pretty impressive. I most likely would have gotten it if it were an option on the GMC.

Edit - oops, gills posted pretty much the exact same as me at the same time. What he said ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think that will be a great option. I am always concernced backing up at my daughter's day care center in my Pathfinder, I wish it had a rear view camera to see it is all clear behind it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Probably something for the Denali?

Adam

·
Registered
22 Posts
The current lack of a backup camera is a major reason why I have not yet bought an Acadia. Rear visibility out of the Acadia is not the greatest. The Enclave will have this option. While I could just wait for the Enclave to come out, I overall like the styling of the Acadia better, I like the heads up display that will only be available on the Acadia, and just wish GM would offer it on the Acadia. The sooner GM adds this as an option, the sooner I will buy the car.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
We felt the same way, given that we test drove a pacifica (w/ backup cam) then an acadia immediately afterwards. Obviously we liked the Acadia much more (since we bought it), but I really did miss that option. The rear parking sensors are at least helpful, though, and in my opinion a must-have option. At least you know SOMETHING is behind you, even if you can't see what it is ;)

·
Registered
794 Posts
I agree, those rear parking sensors are very helpful. I almost nailed a 2 foot high barrier, that I swear I never saw in my mirrors. Heard the little ding, looked around didn't see anything, and when It kept dinging I stopped and finally saw what was going on. I've also noticed that in parking lots, when cars pull past you (they weren't there when you first looked) - the ding is helpful.
You do have to get used to listening for the sound, and I don't think you can have the radio on too loud.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Well it also has the light sensors, but they are partially blocked when you have the DVD screen down.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts