GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are getting our first significant snow here in the Metro Detroit Area. I went to 7-11 for a loaf of bread and some bottled water. While backing up to leave the parking lot I backed into the cement base of a light post. I was going slow but the impact still caused a good amount of damage. Their is scratched metal on the right side and a broken reflector on the bumper and pushed out plastic and the lower corner of the tail gait is bent too.

I'm pretty pissed as that the back-up sensors did not alert me. I feel like I'm looking at a good size claim. As far as I'm concerned this should be covered by warranty since the sensors did not work. But I feel like that argument is going to be shot down pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Man, that sucks. I never thought about the sensors not working in snow. I wonder if they have problems in heavy rain? Make sure that there wan't a short. Mine only lit up when I backed up. If there was something behind me, it didn't do anything.

Good luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I hope I understand this correctly..........the back-up sensors did not sound/light while driving in reverse during a snowstorm. I am assuming that the object you struck was covered in snow.

I had back-up sensors on my previous vehicle, an Explorer, and found just the opposite occured during heavy snow.
If I backed into a snowbank, or even just a drift in my driveway high enuf to cover the bumper, what little snow stayed on the sensor caused it to "beep" constantly. I had to stop and remove the snow to quiet the system.

We are expecting snow tomorrow, I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Their was no warning sounds or lights. We only got an inch of snow & ice. The light post base was not covered with snow buy bumper had a snow / ice mix on it. The impact was on the corner of the bumper. I read the manual last night and I did not see a range that the sensors work off. I will post a picture later.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear about the damage you have to your vehicle. No matter what the situation, its never cool to have damage to a new vehicle. :(

I think you're going to have a difficult time talking GM into fixing the damage under warranty. The way the manual is worded I think they are basically saying that it is the driver's responsibility to ensure there are no obstacles.

Also, I'm just curious since you said the impact was on the corner of the bumper if it possible that the obstacle might have been outside of the range of the sensor. Were you backup up straight at that point or were your wheels still turned and you were backing up at an angle. I've only had my Acadia for a few days and this is my first vehicle with backup sensors, so I don't really have a feel for what situations they really work in.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Yesterday, when my wife came out of the retirement home where her mom is living, as soon as she put it into reverse, inside rear light started flashing and sound was surrounding inside compartment. Said it scared the living P jesus out of her. As soon as she put it into Drive, all was well. It had been blowing wet snow on her way there and continued all through the morning with freezing rain mid afternoon. All rear sensors were covered with packed snow. Because of additional Ice Storm, home power outage from 10PM till 6:30 this morning. Was 63F in our house when normally keep at 73. Back to subject, rear sensors do work for us, fortunately. Sensor beeps when backing out of garage on occassion due to being to close to right entrance wall that jets in a little bit. Love our Acadia!

Added note: Forgot to say, Sorry Daw....A very sad moment indeed. Very hurting :(+ time to get repaired. :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Personally, I don't like the sensors. I look at what's behind me prior to backing up, but the sensor does work good for things that move in (kids and alike) after i look around.

I mean, come on, backing into an inaminiate object because the sensor didn't work? I'd be pissed at my bruised pride.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yeah it's really weird...I'm new to the backup sensor world myself and I have this huge distrust of them right now. :D I don't know what it is about backing up - but I always swear the sensor is whacked...when I'm approaching a wall, the sensor tells me I have tons of room left but the wall looks like it's on top of me already. So of course, I ignore the sensor, get out...and see...I still had tons of room.

::)

·
Registered
339 Posts
dsfindlay said:
Yeah it's really weird...I'm new to the backup sensor world myself and I have this huge distrust of them right now. :D I don't know what it is about backing up - but I always swear the sensor is whacked...when I'm approaching a wall, the sensor tells me I have tons of room left but the wall looks like it's on top of me already. So of course, I ignore the sensor, get out...and see...I still had tons of room.

LOL. That was exactly me yesterday.

·
Registered
112 Posts
dsfindlay said:

I measured it's about 2 feet when red light come up. It's just enough to open cargo door if the wall behind a car. I have been parking couple times in the city garage parking and it works perfect. I will see what happened during the snow.
Sorry to hear what happened.

·
Registered
683 Posts
hesh said:
I hope I understand this correctly..........the back-up sensors did not sound/light while driving in reverse during a snowstorm. I am assuming that the object you struck was covered in snow.

I had back-up sensors on my previous vehicle, an Explorer, and found just the opposite occured during heavy snow.
If I backed into a snowbank, or even just a drift in my driveway high enuf to cover the bumper, what little snow stayed on the sensor caused it to "beep" constantly. I had to stop and remove the snow to quiet the system.

We are expecting snow tomorrow, I will keep you posted.
We got the same storm system here in Chicago last night as I'm sure most have heard in the news by now. Major sheets of ice on the car and roads. Upon reversing into our driveway the sensors did exactly as 'Hesh' noted above. The sensors just beeped constantly and rapidly. There was technically nothing behind me as it was open driveway, however there was ice over the entire rear bumper. Oddly enough, the beeping did NOT do anything out of the ordinary when backing out of my parking spot about 40 minutes earlier.

·
Registered
487 Posts
From the description of the accident it sounds like the pole was probably out of sensor range. But we all have to remember, backup sensors are just there to assist you with backing, you still need to be aware of what is behind you.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I think this is a lesson for all of us. The sensors are just an aid and not an eye. They never should be trusted, but if and when they sound we should pay attention. It only makes sense that if they are covered with snow that you will get false readings. I'm sure a backup camera would be the same.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I really can't imagine them being out of range as I get the slower/single light warning as I reverse into my driveway. The first seems to pick up either the neighbor's bush or my front porch column...which are obviously both off to the side. It does the exact same thing about halfway down the drive where the only thing it could possibly pick up was the brick of the house...again off to the side.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Has anyone tried to see what reading you get when backing into a space with an overhang? Does it just read the concave area underneath (at bumper height) or the whole picture from top-of-vehicle down?

I was in such a spot yesterday (and they're more common than I thought!) in a parking garage and I chickened out when it looked like the overhang was looming too large in my window. When I got out, though, I still had plenty of room.

Subject to more testing...but....if anyone knows? :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same experience last night with snow on the sensors. I put it in reverse and all 3 lights came on and it was beeping like mad. I slowly backed up looking through the rear window and using the mirrors. When I finally put it in drive I looked down at the DIC and it said that the park assist feature was off. Before I left the parking lot to go onto the main road I cleaned off the sensors and scrolled through the options on the DIC and confirmed that the park assist was on (which it was). The back up sensors are working normally ever since. Infact the sensors have always picked up the side of the garage wall when I am backing up. I am just wondering if Dawgdaes may of had the park assist turned off.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Sorry for your damage. I had the same situation with ice and snow and the sensors just kept beeping like the manual states it will. I cleaned them off with a brush and they seemed to work as normal. I agree with everyone that states you should not rely soley on these, that is why they are called rear parking "assist", they are only to assist you. I love the caution they print in the manual the part that says "URPA does not Detect objects that are very close to the vehicle" what the heck does that mean? see page 195.

In regards to holding GM responsible, you don't stand a chance, sorry. Now if you had one of those self parking Lexus sedans (see that commerical on TV) the car can parallel park itself, take your hands off the steering wheel and let the car do it - if you had this and it smashed you into the car behind or a pole or tree then you might have a chance at suing the manufacturer.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I got an estimate of $1200.00 dollars to repair my SLE. The guy at the dealership could care less when I told him what happened. The funny thing is their was another Acadia at the dealership with almost the same damage but on the drivers side of the car. I plan to plead my case to GMC customer service but I'm sure they will tell me to take the car to the dealership and then will be told there is nothing wrong with the sensors.

Attachments

·
Registered
683 Posts
saturnjack said:
I had the same experience last night with snow on the sensors. I put it in reverse and all 3 lights came on and it was beeping like mad. I slowly backed up looking through the rear window and using the mirrors. When I finally put it in drive I looked down at the DIC and it said that the park assist feature was off. Before I left the parking lot to go onto the main road I cleaned off the sensors and scrolled through the options on the DIC and confirmed that the park assist was on (which it was). The back up sensors are working normally ever since. Infact the sensors have always picked up the side of the garage wall when I am backing up. I am just wondering if Dawgdaes may of had the park assist turned off.
You know it's odd my Park Assist is on ALL the time. I never turn it off, in fact I don't know how to. However the same night that I had the lights go crazy in reverse, I was at a red light and was planning on getting out of the car to clear the wiper blade a bit more. I put the car in park, undid my seatbelt and reached for the door. My wife scolded me for attempting to get out of the car at that moment and pleading with me to pull into a parking lot instead. However when I put my seatbelt back on and put the car into Drive, my DIC said the park assist was off. ??? I need to refer to the manual, but how exactly did that happen?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts