GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I'd love to get a thread started here for people who are trying to decide between FWD and AWD versions. For those of you that have some experience with AWD GMCs, I'd like to hear from you. Also if you have had the chance to test drive both types of Acadia, give us your opinions and feedback. What are the pros and cons of each? Which type are you planning on getting?

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'd love to hear feedback on this topic. Pretty convinced that AWD is the way for me to go with an Acadia or anything else, but very curious about what owners think.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Not much of a question for me. I live in Salt Lake City and regularly drive up to the ski resorts. Many times, the canyons are closed to all but 4WD/AWD or chains. I order AWD.

Kelly

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was convinced I was getting AWD until I test drove both versions. The AWD was stiffer/rougher than the FWD version. Dealer confirmed that others have said similar things. I sent my wife on a test drive with the salesman while I worked out some options with the manager and she noticed it as well without me telling her. So I am getting the FWD version for ride quality.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Interesting, I have not noticed any stiffness in my awd (I've got about 700 miles on it), but I have not driven the fwd. I wonder if your test car was the problem? Comments from others who have driven both?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Could have been just that one I guess....they only had 1 FWD and 1 AWD on the lot to drive at the time. I guess it could also be something like tire pressure as well. Never checked into it any further. Just went with the FWD since I already own a 4wd truck in case of snow.....which we are going to get a bunch of in the next couple days. Cincinnati is expected to get 8-16 inches by Tuesday night if any of you are fans of snow like me ;D

·
Registered
597 Posts
Re: AWD vs FWD & Towing

With all of you mid-westerners owning / buying Acadias there must be more than a handful of trailer boaters. I've done a lot of trailering w/ rear wheel drive, and am wondering what your experience may be on a boat ramp w/ FWD. Trying to figure out what would make more sense here in So. Calif. Hardly ever drive in the snow, and off-road is generally tame territory.

Some of you have chosen AWD for the snow, but if that weren't a factor, yet you wanted to tow a boat - would that have inflenced your decision for AWD vs. FWD?

I was interested to see that several of you have perceived a difference in the ride. I've only driven an AWD, so will like to compare for myself.

Smooth <><

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
graffx4 said:
I was convinced I was getting AWD until I test drove both versions. The AWD was stiffer/rougher than the FWD version. Dealer confirmed that others have said similar things. I sent my wife on a test drive with the salesman while I worked out some options with the manager and she noticed it as well without me telling her. So I am getting the FWD version for ride quality.
You know what, I noticed the difference in ride as well. The first one I test drove was AWD because you know, they always have you test drive the most expensive fully loaded version. But I went there with the intention of not getting AWD (both my past Vues were AWD) because I wanted the better gas mileage and besides the SLE has the traction control. I do notice a difference in ride between my FWD and the AWD that I initially drove though.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I test drove a FWD, but ended up getting the AWD - mostly due to the weather here in the northeast, and experience with AWD on other vehicles. I didn't notice a difference between AWD and FWD.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
I guess I should also add that the AWD I test drove was fully loaded with the 19" wheels. My FWD is far from loaded and has the 18" wheels. I wouldn't doubt that alone makes a difference in how the vehicle rides.

My '03 Vue had an AWD system that actually felt like it WORKED when there was snow, slush or ice on the ground. When I upgraded to the '06 Vue with AWD, I was highly disappointed in the performance of the AWD. It never felt like it was engaging and easily slid around corners when the '03 never had that problem. So I guess I was put off by the '06 with respect to AWD. With the extra expense and decreased gas mileage, it just wasn't worth it to me to look at an AWD Acadia.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Web Raven said:
I guess I should also add that the AWD I test drove was fully loaded with the 19" wheels. My FWD is far from loaded and has the 18" wheels. I wouldn't doubt that alone makes a difference in how the vehicle rides.
people here have said that 19" wheels make for a "more sporty" ride. have also read the same in review.

Mine definitely is a relatively stiff ride but I'm coming out of a Durango so everything is relative. it rides a million times better than that hog ;D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts