GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an AWD Acadia and know that if it needs to be towed it must be placed on a flat-bed. Can an AWD be safey sent through a self-advancing car wash?

Thanks,

LKB

·
Registered
79 Posts
I use our local drive through car wash a couple times a month and have never had any issues. Just place it in neutral and let'r roll. You can flat tow your AWD you just can not use a dolly. On the dolly your front wheels are not moving and will damage the drivetrain.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sandhopper said:
You can flat tow your AWD you just can not use a dolly. On the dolly your front wheels are not moving and will damage the drivetrain.
I never knew that. I will keep that in mind.

So a "flat tow" can be done w/o putting it horizontal on a flatbed?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yes the Acadia can be flat towed, the transmission was designed for them to be "dinghy" towed behind rv's and other vehicles. All wheels have to be on the ground though.

·
Super Moderator
21,772 Posts
LKB said:
I have an AWD Acadia and know that if it needs to be towed it must be placed on a flat-bed. Can an AWD be safey sent through a self-advancing car wash?
LKB, There has never been an issue for sending AWD or "full-time four wheel drive" vehicles through a self-advancing car wash. The vehicle is advanced in neutral by a roller-chain that propels either one front, or one rear wheel. Usually the front is used to pull it through and then the vehicle is "ejected, if you will" by pushing a rear wheel until the whole vehicle is clear of the chain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Speleos and Others,

Thanks for the info. I just wanted to make sure that I don't damage my Acadia. It's good to know that I can safely use that type of car wash.

LKB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts