GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much reasearch on about every 7 Pax SUV on the market, I have decided on the Acadia ;). I will be towing my 18 foot Maxum boat and am concerned that if I get the FWD model I will have problems with wet ramps. Anybody out there had any problems with the FWD model not getting traction? I live in Southern California so the only reason for the AWD model for me would be for the towing aspect. Any advice from current owners who tow boats?

·
Registered
956 Posts
All ramps and water levels are not created equal. What are you towing with now and how has it worked out? What have you observed when you launch your boat. Do you see boaters having trouble pulling up the ramp with FWD vehicles or is it not a problem. Do you use a lake that the water levels tend to drop during drought conditions? The lower the water level the steeper the ramp. The AWD will add weight and lower your tow ratings slightly but could make retrieving the boat easier.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have a 20 foot outboard with a dual axle aluminum trailer. Total weight is probably close to 4000 pounds. I keep the boat in the water year round but haul it out for maintenance and cleaning a couple times each year. I used to use my Windstar (FWD with 3500 pound rating) to haul it out (I only live a mile or so from the ramp and there are no hills.) Neither the windstar nor the acadia has had much trouble depending on the ramp. The last time I did it with the Acadia, the tide was low, the trailer was past the concrete part of the ramp, the ramp was wet/grassy and both front wheels were spinning. With a few rollbacks and running starts I did get it out. AWD would have made a big difference but for me, I only do this once or twice a year. If I couldn't get it out, I would just take the boat back to the slip and try again another time. The FWD will pull out the empty trailer without any problem at all, and so far it's done OK with the full load.

If you do it frequently, AWD might be worthwhile.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Twice I have watched FWD vehicles, on an abnormally slick ramp, get sucked into the lake by the boat and trailer. When you really think about the total difference in cost, I think it's an easy decision. Yes, 99% of the time the FWD will pull you out, but the cost of that 1% time, is just too high. My opinion is to buy the AWD.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
big bear craig said:
All ramps and water levels are not created equal. What are you towing with now and how has it worked out? What have you observed when you launch your boat. Do you see boaters having trouble pulling up the ramp with FWD vehicles or is it not a problem. Do you use a lake that the water levels tend to drop during drought conditions? The lower the water level the steeper the ramp. The AWD will add weight and lower your tow ratings slightly but could make retrieving the boat easier.
I have an 18 foot Maxum sport boat with a single axle galvanized trailer. According to my local boat dealer my boat weighs about 2500 lbs with the trailer. Add in a cooler and other needed items it will be up to about 3000 lbs. My current tow vehicle is a 99 Land Rover Discovery with all wheel drive that the Acadia will be replacing. We just bought the boat this year and have had it out on a few lakes, the Colorado river and San Diego bay. I have never had any problems with launching or recovery of the boat. I have never really looked at FWD vehicles attempting launches and/or recoveries. Up until last month I never knew much about the Acadia so I am trying to get feedback from current owners who also launch and recover their sport boats. Thanks again for feedback from all of you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have had my Acadia for over 25,000 miles now. Bought it in Jan 07. I have towed many loads including boats of the size you are talking here. On reasonable boat ramps you will have little or no problems with fwd and no problems with awd. If really muddy or steep angles, of course awd would be much preferred. I live in MN, so AWD is a necessity. I have towed a heavy 20 foot fiberglass boat (hurricane with 150 hp and tandem trailer - prolly over 4000 lbs) in and out with the awd and unless an unusual boat ramp or mud etc I think you will be fine with the fwd.

Unfortunately, I bought a bigger heavier boat this summer and I wonder about towing this larger boat. I normally keep this boat on a boat lift at our lake cabin but would like to tow between local (50 mile radius) lake locations. Anybody here with any experience with 22 or 23 foot glass boats weighing over 4500 combination boat/trailer weights? ???

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 24' pontoon weighing in at 3300lbs (dry) paired with a tandem trailer weighing in at 1100lbs - total 4400lbs - my AWD handles it. I would not feel comfortable at ramp without AWD being so close to towing capacity.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I tow my 18' Skeeter fish and ski with my SLE FWD Acadia and have no problems at all towing it. I use a launch on Toledo Bend that is very steep and have no problem pulling the boat out even with the ramp wet. The tire may spin a little but as long as you keep your forward momentum you wont have any problem. You just need to know how to drive your vehicle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts