GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
None of the cars that I have driven as my primary car over the years have been anything other than 2 wheel drive. My husband has always had 4 wheel drive vehicles, but not mine. We got a pretty big snow storm in the Seattle area and I ventured out today and I have to say that I am impressed with the Acadia. I have an AWD Acadia with 19" wheels. I didn't have any issues in the snow or ice, even on steep hills. I learned to drive in Colorado and have been driving in the snow for many years, but my last car (Chrysler 300M) had performance tires on it and it did terrible in the snow. I turned into a wimp in the snow because of that car and driving in my Acadia today made me feel much more comfortable with the snow again. Once again, I am thrilled with my decision to purchase the Acadia. I am also glad that I got the AWD!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Thersa,

I'm glad you're enjoying the feel of security in your AWD. Living where you do - you made a good choice. Although I would like to have had AWD, it wasn't much of a necessity living in Santa Barbara (So. Calif.). From the weather forcast tonight - it looks like you'll have even more opportunities to test both your driving skills & the AWD capabilities.

Please add the basic description & options of your vehicle in your "signature" like many members have.

Smooth[/color] <><

·
Registered
195 Posts
My wife and I are also loving the way our AWD is handling the roads here in Illinois. We had a pretty bad ice storm this week and we felt very little to no slippage from a stop, unlike our front wheel drive vehicles that we've owned.

I know the size and weight of the Acadia has something to do with this, but I'm still glad we got AWD. We feel very safe in it on ice and snow - but for the record, we do NOT drive like it's July just because we have it - like some SUV owners. :angryfire:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
We came across the PA turnpike is some bad weather and I am really impressed with how well this AWD tracks through nasty weather. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had the opportunity to exercise my new AWD Acadia equipped with new Toyo Open Country Observe G-02 winter tires (R265/60R18; studless) on snow and ice. I am very pleased with the performance and safety of this setup in our winter conditions.

Conditions this week: our region had more than a foot of snow, daytime/nighttime temperatures at 10/ -5F, and patches of hard ice from the freeze/thaw during the day.

I did several test accelerations and hard braking stops on the straights, accelerations on the curves, and up and down steep hills at a good speed.

The Acadia performed excellently. The Toyo winter tires are outstanding: Straight and short stops on ice, no spinning on fast starts, and no loss of control on curves or hill. Of course, all tests at moderate and reasonable speeds for city driving under winter conditions in a city. No sense to hot rod around on snowy and icy roads.

Note that the size of the Toyo winter tires are slightly higher and wider than the stock 18” Goodyear Fortera all season tires that came with the Acadia. Any affect on the speedometer was quickly correct by GMC service, which recalibrated the speedometer for free. Also, with this size Toyo winter tire fits fine in the wheel well – even with my new contoured GMC mud flaps.

Attachments

·
Registered
956 Posts
We received four feet of snow this week, the roads weren't always plowed very well, and my wife was very pleased with her Acadia and how it handled the conditions.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Our Acadia did well in our current weather challenges.  Last night I went to Sea-Tac airport to pick up our neighbors and their son.

For our first time we had 5 people in the Acadia and 7 huge 60lbs bags of luggage in the back end.  We had great traction and the only thing I noticed was porposing due to the the 3 people and their baggage in the back end. 

Wish we had the loading leveling we had in our 2003 Envoy and the 2005 Denali.
^^^
GM... please read this!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree. I was anticipating how well/not well my Acadia would be in the winter. I just purchased mine in September so I hadn't had a chance to see yet. I was pretty impressed. (Although pretty much 90% of other vehicles would have been better than the eclipse I had previously). But even still, living in Maine and with the "nor'easter" we had a few days ago, I was able to drive around just fine. I did slide a bit at a couple downhill stop signs (and thankfully there was no traffic to dodge), but other than that I was really impressed.

:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was also very pleased with how our Acadia performed in these snowy and icy conditions. We had over a foot of snow in Connecticut and our Acadia had great traction and control. :cheers: The Northeast has some really aggressive drivers, and there were hundreds of accidents reported here over the last few days. I never felt like I was close to losing control of the car (although I am always worried about someone else spinning out and smashing into us). :-[

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.