GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a rather simple item but I can't find an answer in the Owner's Manual. How do I know when the headlights (HID lights in my case) have turned on automatically? For a long time I assumed that the instrument cluster lighting was the clue but that is not the case. Then I assumed, like other cars I have owned, that the Nav system switching from the white to the black background was the clue, but I tested and found that it is independent of the headlights also.

So how do I tell, while driving down the road at early dusk, from inside the car, that the system has switched from DRLs to headlights? Something really simple, right? Something I will be embarrassed to learn? :-[

Ah, well, hit me with it anyway....

·
Registered
200 Posts
Get out and look. ;D

If the headlight setting is set to Auto---the "line" on the dial pointing to Auto---it works like a charm and you never have to touch it again. Seriously, either get out and look, or sometimes if you pull behind a vehicle during the day you can see the reflection of your lights/vehicle on the car in front of you (the mirror image).

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I think it says in the owner's manual not to get out & look if the vehicle is in motion. I usually detail a passenger or hitchhiker for that task.

One other tip- a plate glass window (i.e. shopping center) can be used for this and to also check your tail/turn/stop lights on the rear. It can also be used to admire how nice your Acadia looks as you drive by the store. :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
On my Enclave when it is set to Auto, the little indicator "line" LED on the knob illuminates once the headlights turn on. If the headlights are not on yet the "line" is NOT backlit.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Your dash, parking, and other interior assist lights come on, and your cluster darkens.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
toasteroven said:
Your dash, parking, and other interior assist lights come on, and your cluster darkens.
That's what I thought as well. I've sometimes wondered when/if my auto-headlights have come on and then I noticed that the gauge lights dim and the console lights brighten. I've always assumed that was when my headlights were coming on as well. Sometimes on the way to work in the morning, they tend to go on and off depending on if I'm in a shaded part of the tollway or not (is that normal??).

In any case, when it's dark out and I need light, they are certainly on then. That's what is important, right? ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, I got it. The official way to tell indeed is the tiny red led on the light switch. When it is lit, the lights are on. In the Auto mode, it turns on and off..automatically... with the headlights. Brilliant!!!

However, in searching for a quick glance method, I was too focused on the instrument cluster, which apparently stays lit most, or all, of the time, regardless of the headlight status. On the other hand, the lights on most of the switches on the center stack turn off and on with the headlights and, are easy to see.

Right? ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
StarDust -

I also found this to be a problem, and unlike others who appear to not have a concern during the daytime if their on or not here in CA it's illegal to have your wipers on (obviously when its raining) but not your headlights (ticket ~$80) and I don't know if Daytime running lights count because your tail lights don't go on with them, and that was also part of the law. Lets just hope they do count though because I nearly always forget, however I don't want to give a "Mr. Anal Cop" an excuse.

So when trying to find out if the darn things were on or not, I found that in the center dash, right at the DVD/CD slot, there is an led light (one on each side but the one on the passenger side is 'quick viewable' while driving) so when the red led lights up, the lights are on (same as the actual dial, but I hate driving in the rain with my head down lookin' at that thing trying to see if its on or not).

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
As a "cheat" when driving through our Florida 20 minute torrential downpours & then lighter rain where the sky is not dark enough to activate the headlights, you can lay a piece of cardboard or paper or whatever you have laying around over the light sensor. It is located in the center dash top and looks like a dark dome. I easily did this with an '03 Impala- the sensor on it was really recessed and didn't work like it should. It will keep the lights on w/o you having to worry about them being on and they will still shut off when the vehicle is shut off. When the weather passes, put the paper away and everything works normally.

:police: BTW, only rookies write tickets like those (in the rain). Experienced cops don't get wet. ;)

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Where I come from as a kid, we had a officer that would pull you over and when stopped moition you to get out of your vehicle and walk back to his so he could write the ticket, raining or not, hot or cold. Boy those days sure are gone!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Of course, no one has mentioned the real obvious solution if you want to be absolutely sure that the lights are on and stay on, just turn the headlight switch counterclockwise two notches! And don't worry about leaving them on when you exit, a very obnoxius dinger will ding to remind you to turn them off. ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I forgot about the dinger. Sometimes we have so much going on it takes a minute to figure out whose dinginess is causing the dinger to activate. :)

:hijacked:
StarDust39's signature said:
2001 Corvette Coupe Museum Delivery 17 Apr 2001
So does the C5 in your signature have automatic headlights? Maybe you should post some pictures of it so we can tell for sure. ;)

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
I forgot about the dinger. Sometimes we have so much going on it takes a minute to figure out whose dinginess is causing the dinger to activate. :)

So does the C5 in your signature have automatic headlights? Maybe you should post some pictures of it so we can tell for sure. ;)
What year did they start w/ the fixed headlights in the Vettes anywho?

·
Registered
624 Posts
I thought the headlights (and tail lights) came on automatically when the wipers are on? I know they do on the Enclave.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
ccaats said:
I thought the headlights (and tail lights) came on automatically when the wipers are on? I know they do on the Enclave.
I'm sure they could be wired as such. The true test would be to wet down the windshield on a sunny day and see if they come on with the wipers.

6Sixathome said:
1953 ;).

Concealed began in '63 and ran through the C5 (2004) model year. The C6 (2005+) has again used the fixed headlamps similar1 to a Dodge Viper.

1 No offense is intended to any current, past, or future owners of any of the models listed. Opinions espoused do not necessarily represent those of the management of this station. The opinions and ideas presented in all Acadia Forum posts are for informational, entertainment, and educational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of any other person since as Mrs. Blue tells me there is no one else like me in the entire world. In no way should any content contained herein be construed to represent trading or investment advice. None of the information contained herein constitutes a recommendation by Bill Gates, Bernie Madoff, Warren Buffet, the RNC, the DNC, anyone with XM, DVD, or DVD with CD or any of their contributors that any particular style of automobile is suitable for any specific person. The person posting does not advise you personally concerning the nature, potential, value or suitability of any particular automotive design, but does remind those that have made it so far of the timeless beauty of some cars such as the 1973 Toyota Celica. As such, all viewers agree that under no circumstances will the person posting, partners, officers, employees, affiliates, and agents be held liable for any loss or damage caused by your reliance on information obtained from this website, including any articles, videos or other materials. Opinions involve risk and are not suitable for all readers.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
ccaats said:
I'm sure they could be wired as such. The true test would be to wet down the windshield on a sunny day and see if they come on with the wipers.

6Sixathome said:
1953 ;).

Concealed began in '63 and ran through the C5 (2004) model year. The C6 (2005+) has again used the fixed headlamps similar1 to a Dodge Viper.

1 No offense is intended to any current, past, or future owners of any of the models listed. Opinions espoused do not necessarily represent those of the management of this station. The opinions and ideas presented in all Acadia Forum posts are for informational, entertainment, and educational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of any other person since as Mrs. Blue tells me there is no one else like me in the entire world. In no way should any content contained herein be construed to represent trading or investment advice. None of the information contained herein constitutes a recommendation by Bill Gates, Bernie Madoff, Warren Buffet, the RNC, the DNC, anyone with XM, DVD, or DVD with CD or any of their contributors that any particular style of automobile is suitable for any specific person. The person posting does not advise you personally concerning the nature, potential, value or suitability of any particular automotive design, but does remind those that have made it so far of the timeless beauty of some cars such as the 1973 Toyota Celica. As such, all viewers agree that under no circumstances will the person posting, partners, officers, employees, affiliates, and agents be held liable for any loss or damage caused by your reliance on information obtained from this website, including any articles, videos or other materials. Opinions involve risk and are not suitable for all readers.
I set myself up :-[ It's been a long day :beer: :beer:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:

Pictures of our Corvette? Always happy to oblige!!

Museum delivery April 17, 2001:

New England October, 2001:

Western trip August, 2002:

Santa drives my Corvette December, 2004:

Famous 2006:

And a few hundred more HERE!!

Oh, by the way, I have turned off the automatic headlight feature because the headlights always popped up and turned on when I started the car in the garage then when I went out into the daylight, the headlights took too long to turn off.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Thanks! Very nice looking car that is obviously much appreciated by you.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Another way to tell if the auto lamps are on or off... (besides that little LED on the switch) the lights on the sides of the cd slot illuminate (more brightly) when the exterior light go on. Much easier to see than the LED in the switch.

And auto lamps are activated by the wipers too (although with the intermitant feature it takes 30 or so seconds).

And yes, even though it's two years old, I am still learning things (mostly from this forum) about my Acadia! ::)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts