GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all this talk on this board about taking care and detailing the Acadia yourself, what are your thoughts on these automatic car wash places?

For example I've been taking my other cars to places like this...

http://www.turtlewaxcarwash.com/main.taf?p=3,1,1

I travel a lot and really don't have much time on weekends to tidy my cars. Places like this have the car washes with brushes and they used cotton towels to dry the car. Is this all really evil for the car? I always see lots of nice looking rides going here... can't be that bad?

But with a new car I'm hesitant to take my nice new Acadia to places like this now and have only been seeking touchless, then cleaning up the rest myself with my chamois (because touchless washes never does a thorough job). Eventually I may get lazy and the new car gleam may be gone, then I'll bring it to these wash centers.

What are your thoughts on wash centers like this?

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
It's all how serious you are about detailing. In my opinion, I would NEVER take my cars through a car wash with brushes or where people dry them with towels. First off, the brushes always move horizontally while you should wash your doors and side panels vertically. It might not seem obvious at first to some, but consider what would be on those brushes if the car right in front of you was a big 4x4 that just went off roading on a muddy trail. There's simply no way the brushes will be clean enough not to put scratches on the clear coat.

If my car is very dirty, I usually take it through a touchless carwash (you even have to watch some of those, since some of them grab the wheels to guide the car through, which can damage wheels), which at least gets rid of the bulk of the dirt so that my hand washing time will be minimized and have less dirt of move around.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Never never never brushes, but if they change towels often it should not be a problem. I have used shammys for years and now use cotton towels and have no scratches or problems. If you have a good coat of wax it won't hurt.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How bout soft cloth automatic car washes?

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Same deal. No matter how "Soft" the cloth is, that doesn't stop them from getting covered in mud and dirt when a really dirty car goes in before you.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The only car wash I would EVER use is one of the new touchless ones. ALL others ruin paint.

The bummer is the only touchless one I have ever seen was when I was in Ohio the Christmas. I hope they become available in my area in the future. In my opinion these car washes do a spectacular job considering they never apply a non liquid product to your vehicle.

Dan

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had a rear louver torn off of my car while going through a car wash with the rags that hang down & move side to side. THANK GOD there was not another car coming in after us. Now We use a car wash that doesn't have rags or brushes. NEVER FORGET TO FOLD IN THE MIRRORS AS IT SAYS! Been there done that too!
Oh! Forgot to shut a rear window once too, a van and kid wash that day.
Lee

·
Registered
259 Posts
Ok, so where CAN I go to get mine washed? I don't have time or motivation to wash it myself, and I don't have a boyfriend/husband to do it for me, so where is it safe to go??? It's about time to get a wash and vacuum, and after reading this I'm now scared to go anywhere with it... Thanks, y'all.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Auto car wash!!! SLACKER!! :angryfire: I would never consider those. Never do a good job and always wonder what will break on the way through.

If you must you must ::)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Keith said:
Auto car wash!!! SLACKER!! :angryfire: I would never consider those. Never do a good job and always wonder what will break on the way through.

If you must you must ::)
Are you volunteering to do it for me then? :help:

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
GAgirl - although they don't do nearly as good a job as hand washing, it is generally safe to use any touchless car wash, which means an automatic car wash that just uses jets of water, soap and air to clean and dry your Acadia. As long as they don't have brushes they are generally safe

·
Registered
405 Posts
GAgirl said:
, and I don't have a boyfriend/husband to do it for me
I can fix that for you ;D (if i ever move to GA i will call :drunk:)

·
Registered
99 Posts
My new Acadia will never ever see the inside of an Automatic Car Wash. I have a husband who insists on washing all the cars himself at least twice a month. He won't even let me wash one of our cars. He's afraid I may scratch it with my fingernails or my jewelry (right, like I would wash a car with jewelry on) :crazy:! I used to tell him he was crazy and I could do a perfectly good job on my own! Now I just say "You're right honey - I might accidentally scratch the car with my fingernails & rings".

So now I always have a clean car and never have to do any of the work! ;D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Might be one of the few on this forum, but my Acadia will be washed 90% of the time by a car wash. Not a gas station one, but a full service professional wash place. We have a lot of them around town and they do a good job. About $12 a visit. In the past five years, my wife's vehicle has been washed mostly at these places. Finish looks great. Almost new. I usually hand wax it a couple times a year. I expect GM to have a finish that can handle being washed in a car wash.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
FRW said:
I expect GM to have a finish that can handle being washed in a car wash.
There's no such thing - not the lowest Kia, not the nicest Ferrari. If your car is a dark color, take a look at it in direct sunlight sometime and you'll see what I mean. There will be swirl marks ALL over the car. After about 4-5 car washes, it no longer even appears to be a solid color.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have never noticed swirl marks in the sun. It has been fine for 5 years and it is fairly dark. Sorry, IMO a decent professional car wash is fine. Now, if it was a high end, rare car (Ferrari, Aston Martin) I would spend time taking great care to wash it by hand. And keep kids bikes away, etc. My Acadia will have to get by with a professional car wash. :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
i think you should try the MR. clean auto dry system i love it. we use it on the mercedes and corvette. (no matter how lazy or busy i am i will always hand clean thoughs).

or you could try a car wash were you can vacume and move up and wash the car your self with the water gun.

here is a link for the MR. chean

http://www.homemadesimple.com/en_US/mrclean/home.do

or you can type MR CLEAN AUTO DRY in google

·
Registered
752 Posts
I hate to admit it, but I fell for the "protective coating" treatment sold by the dealer. Now I don't know if thats the reason or just the great GM finish. But, when I go through a touchless car wash, even the baked on bird poop disappears.. That never happened on my old car.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
FRW said:
I have never noticed swirl marks in the sun. It has been fine for 5 years and it is fairly dark. Sorry, IMO a decent professional car wash is fine. Now, if it was a high end, rare car (Ferrari, Aston Martin) I would spend time taking great care to wash it by hand. And keep kids bikes away, etc. My Acadia will have to get by with a professional car wash. :)
I guess it's all about your expectations. I have a coworker with a nice bimmer who takes his car to an "professional" $30 automatic car wash at least once a month and claims that his car look factory new, but when I see it, it looks exactly like this "before" pic below:

Swirl Marks in direct sunlight (BEFORE):

After several coats of a swirl remover:

He had NEVER noticed these before until I pointed them out to him. Of course, fresh out of the car wash, it looks fantastic from 20 feet away. Again, it just depends on what you're willing to do to take care of your finish. not everybody cares as much as I do.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts