GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice that when riding on the expressway, the auto volume does not seem to raise the volume very much even though it is set on high. Anyone else experiencing this or is it my unit?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Mine doesn't seem to do anything either (1 CD radio/non-Bose). It's on my list, along with poor FM Reception and too quiet directions from OnStar (even at max volume) when the radio is on and it mutes itself.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine works great, i had to change mine to medium since it was raising the volume too loud when the speed is increasing. I have an SLT-2 with the NAV. I really like it, is a great feature especially like it when the windows are down and you are driving fast it raises so you can hear it then when you stop at a light it lowers it so it isnt so obnoxious and loud.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
If you really think about it, if it's working properly, you really shouldn't notice it "doing anything". That's the point of the function - to maintain a comfortable listening level at all speeds. Do you find yourself turning down the volume at stoplights, then turning it back up as you build speed? If so, then maybe it isn't working. I know when driving my daughter's Civic I have it set to high and I don't really have to play with the volume knob much, nor do I notice the volume increasing or decreasing. My daughter on the other hand notices the decrease in volume when coming to a stop and hates it - so she turns off the funtion completely. I'm sure there's a lot of personal variation involved depending on your hearing, music preferences, etc.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
loach,
You may be right about not being able to notice it if it working correctly. I do need to adjust slightly when on the highway. I guess I'll just put it on the list for checkout and see what they come up with.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I noticed when I tested the Acadia that the auto volume control didn't crank the volume up as much as other
GM vehicles I have owned at highway speeds. This may be due to the fact that the Acadia seems much more
quite at highway speeds than say my Torrent, and as such, the volume doesn't need to cranked up as much to
overcome extra noise at highway speeds.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I do not really notice the automatic volume control making changes to the volume level as I drive, which to me means it is working correctly, I have it set to high and I have to listen really closely to make out volume adjustments. I do notice that as the speed increases, at 25 MPH and then I notice again at 45 MPH a slight adjustment, but it is very hard to detemine. It should make it sound like it is at the volume you selected when you first started to drive. Since it is speed sensitive, if you have your windows open or sunroof open, the outside noise will be louder, but it will not increase the volume, only the speed of your vehicle will make the volume adjust.

This is from the Navigation System manual regarding the Automatic Volume Control:

Automatic Volume Control: With automatic
volume control, your audio system adjusts
automatically to make up for road and wind noise
as you drive.
To use Automatic Volume Control:
1. Set the volume at the desired level.

2. Press the MENU key to enter the menu
screen, then press the MENU key repeatedly
until Radio is selected or touch the Radio
screen button.

3. Press the Automatic Volume Control screen
button.

4. Touch the LOW, MEDIUM, or HIGH screen
buttons. Each higher setting allows for more
compensation at faster vehicle speeds.

Then, as you drive, automatic volume control
automatically increases the volume, as necessary,
to overcome noise at any speed. The volume
level should always sound the same to you as
you drive.[/color] To turn automatic volume control
off, touch the OFF screen button.

This is from the Acadia Manual (page 269):

Speed Compensated Volume (SCV):
The radio has Speed Compensated Volume (SCV). When
SCV is on, the radio volume automatically adjusts
to compensate for road and wind noise as you
speed up or slow down while driving. That way,
the volume level should sound about the same
as you drive.

To activate SCV:
1. Set the radio volume to the desired level.

2. Press the MENU button to display the radio
setup menu.

3. Press the pushbutton under the AUTO
VOLUM (volume) label on the radio display.

4. Press the pushbutton under the desired Speed
Compensated Volume setting (OFF, Low,
Med, or High) to select the level of radio
volume compensation. Press the pushbutton
located below the BACK label on the
MENU SETUP display or let the display time
out after approximately 10 seconds. Each
higher setting allows for more radio volume
compensation at faster vehicle speeds.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
johnway,
I do not have a navigation system- only the XM radio and have set the speed compensation volume to high. I too find it very hard to discern any increase in the volume which is why I'm not sure it is working correctly. The reason I say this is because I had an '02 Envoy with the same feature and the increase in the volume was more noticeable.

As a personal aside, how are things in NE PA? Both sets of my daughter-in-laws grandparents live in NE.

·
Registered
681 Posts
TMMAR said:
johnway,
I do not have a navigation system- only the XM radio and have set the speed compensation volume to high. I too find it very hard to discern any increase in the volume which is why I'm not sure it is working correctly. The reason I say this is because I had an '02 Envoy with the same feature and the increase in the volume was more noticeable.

As a personal aside, how are things in NE PA? Both sets of my daughter-in-laws grandparents live in NE.
TMMAR, IMO if the adjustments are not noticable and you feel the volume level is still good (wereyou would like it), then it is working well, I have this feature in a Suburban (just a turn dial on the volume knob) and it is a much more noticable adjsutment in volume, sometimes I need to turn the volume down whe it adjusts. I just think they have refined or tuned the controls much better than they were in the past.

Weather has been great this past week, I think we might have some t-storms tonight - hopefully after the Acadia is in the garage, I got it washed the other night and would like to keep it clean ;D I grew up in Westchester County, NY right across the LI Sound from you, spent many a summer day out at Jones Beach, cannot say I miss the LIE though.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
johnway,
Yeah, expressway can get to be a pain at times. Jones Beach is still a great place to go. Hope you get the Acadia put away before the storms. I just had mine washed yesterday - was waiting for all the pollen to stop blowing all around!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts