GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered up a set of the Auto Ventshades ($55). I have used these on my p/u trucks in the past and like them. Has anyone else used these on the Acadia? If so, do they fit good?

·
Registered
122 Posts
For those of us less informed, ok...for me, can you offer up a link to where you ordered them from. I'm curious as well about how they may work in my vehicles.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Will the vent shades keep the wind from coming in and pounding the drivers face? Will they help in the horrible base baffling sound when window(s) are rolled down doing 30 or more mph?

·
Registered
284 Posts
They allow you to crack (i.e. about an inch or so) the windows and not have a lot of wind rush/roar, or if it's raining, also get some venting without water coming in. That's the main purpose.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, I don't know if anyone else has noticed but when I use the windshield washer, the water runs back onto my driver side window making it streaky. Probably an aerodynamics "thing". I am hoping that the ventshade might prevent this. But if it doesn't, the ventshade will still be functional as intended by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess Wisconsin doesn't get hot enough for the need to crack your windows. In Texas it gets **** hot. This allows you to get a little ventilation while it bakes in the sun without getting debris inside. Also, it looks as if your windows are all the way up when cracked and hopefully discourages thieves.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
caddycruiser said:
They allow you to crack (i.e. about an inch or so) the windows and not have a lot of wind rush/roar, or if it's raining, also get some venting without water coming in. That's the main purpose.
oo00, it will cut down on wind smacking your face and roar. mmmm, may just have to consider. Will have to look and see if they make in light colors or may have to paint to match body color. I appreciate the info!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
mabco66 said:
I guess Wisconsin doesn't get hot enough for the need to crack your windows. In Texas it gets **** hot. This allows you to get a little ventilation while it bakes in the sun without getting debris inside. Also, it looks as if your windows are all the way up when cracked and hopefully discourages thieves.
We like our windows rolled down all the time, especially Spring and Fall or 6 months out of the year. The wind dynamics design of this vehicle forces the wind to inside of cabin. Presents turbulance, noise, and fatigue. This is the worst body design that forces the air/wind to inside of cabin. Thus, unable to hear nature taking a cruise anywhere. I will acquire more info on the vent shade. Might just buy, but will want to be able to return if does not perform as expected, "Keeping wind turbulance out of the cabin," so can enjoy outside sounds as we drive around town or cruise farm country outside of town.

·
Registered
284 Posts
teetertotter said:
mabco66 said:
We like our windows rolled down all the time, especially Spring and Fall or 6 months out of the year. The wind dynamics design of this vehicle forces the wind to inside of cabin. Presents turbulance, noise, and fatigue. This is the worst body design that forces the air/wind to inside of cabin. Thus, unable to hear nature taking a cruise anywhere. I will acquire more info on the vent shade. Might just buy, but will want to be able to return if does not perform as expected, "Keeping wind turbulance out of the cabin," so can enjoy outside sounds as we drive around town or cruise farm country outside of town.
Uh, not to burst your bubble, but there's very FEW vehicles that you'll find that won't be either noisy or ruffling you with wind gusts with the windows all open...some a touch less than others, but it's just the nature of a vehicle design.

Yet, it always still amazes me the number of people, who with ANY new car, always bring up that there's a "problem" with wind noise and roar when they open the windows. That's just what happens...

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
[/quote]

Uh, not to burst your bubble, but there's very FEW vehicles that you'll find that won't be either noisy or ruffling you with wind gusts with the windows all open...some a touch less than others, but it's just the nature of a vehicle design.

Yet, it always still amazes me the number of people, who with ANY new car, always bring up that there's a "problem" with wind noise and roar when they open the windows. That's just what happens...
[/quote]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well caddy, my wife's 98 Grand Prix could leave the windows rolled down as dynamics were such. My stang windows are rolled down doing 70mph and the body dynamics are such that there is virtually NO internal wind blowing. In other wards, your head of hair is pretty still with no wind slamming in your face. too Truly amazing!!

With trucks, pretty, hard to mold the bodies with dynamics like some autos to prevent wind turbulance inside the cabin. We just have to get used to the fact we have a truck with no front end aero dynamics to prevent wind turbulance inside the Acadia. cabin. When we go shopping, other than grocery, we take the stang, just to enjoy the good ole outdoor sounds and smell of the open country side.

I was looking for the old thread addressing Acadia cabin wind noise the other day. But read one of the fellows returned his Acadia and dealer said the baffling bass sound deafening to the ears was attributed to the head liner. Doubt that. We just have to get used to this being a truck with no front end aero dynamics and to get used to having the windows rolled up.

Comments welcome! :cheers:

·
Registered
294 Posts
From what I understand, the more aerodynamic a vehicle is -- the more buffeting you get when you disrupt the airflow. I believe the Cd (co-efficent of drag) of the Acadia is .29 -- an amazingly low figure for a vehicle of this type. When the Cd is low, the airflow literally hugs the vehicle. Therefore a lowered side window disrupts more air than a vehicle with a less efficient shape.

It does help to lower a back window when you lower a front window (or open a sunroof). The buffeting is a by-product of better fuel economy. :-\

·
Registered
115 Posts
When I'm riding with windows down I always crack the rear driver's side about 2 to 3 inches, it greatly reduces the wind coming through the driver's window. I played with the windows to find the best combo, although I personally think having the sunroof open creates more wind at times.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you have those weird plastic things along the top of your car's doors...you might be a [anyone care to take a guess?]

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
boxermom said:
When I'm riding with windows down I always crack the rear driver's side about 2 to 3 inches, it greatly reduces the wind coming through the driver's window. I played with the windows to find the best combo, although I personally think having the sunroof open creates more wind at times.
Thank you b....m.. I will try your suggestion first and perhaps be a little more patient to try and find the right rear window position for around town, at least. I know having a rear window all the way down no workie for me. I will try again this week some evening, with your suggested experience. Gee, this board is nice! Learn something every day!
Jon

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Auto Ventshade: Update

I received my Ventshades and installed them. THEY LOOK GREAT! They attach directly to the window frames and blend in nicely. :thumb:

·
Registered
487 Posts
xseler said:
From what I understand, the more aerodynamic a vehicle is -- the more buffeting you get when you disrupt the airflow. I believe the Cd (co-efficent of drag) of the Acadia is .29 -- an amazingly low figure for a vehicle of this type. When the Cd is low, the airflow literally hugs the vehicle. Therefore a lowered side window disrupts more air than a vehicle with a less efficient shape.

It does help to lower a back window when you lower a front window (or open a sunroof). The buffeting is a by-product of better fuel economy. :-\
That explains a lot about why the mustang is so quiet inside with the windows down. ;D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts