GMC Acadia Forum banner

The mirror get dim even with no cars behind.

• I have the same issue.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't have that issue

• I don't have dimming mirrors

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty much as the title says, my auto dimming mirror is too dim at night and it was that way from the day I got the car.
Recently i had the dealership replace the mirror and it is better, but still too dim. I had numerous cars with auto dimming mirrors before and it was never as dim as this one. It already kicks in even if I don't have any cars behind me. If I put my hand a few inches in front of the rearview mirror, it goes back to normal (undimmed) color.

P.S. Before somebody asks, yes, it's equally affecting my side mirror too...

·
Registered
752 Posts
I agree, mine is dimmer than I want. It makes it hard to see cars behind me on two lane streets. Freeways tis not quite as bad. I have a dim memory of reading in the manual that it can be turned off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I agree so everytime I start the car at night I cut it off so it does not dim at all. I wish there was a way to set it so it never dimmed.....did not want it but it came with the vehicle.
Key1

·
Registered
497 Posts
Mine are just fine. I particularly like the fact that the right mirror doesn't dim. Very helpful in merging to the right on the highway. Wouldn't want a car without auto-dimming mirrors after having several with them. Almost like HUD...a deal breaker without it!

For those that don't like the dimness, you could put a spot of dark tape over the sensor and cancel the function.

·
Registered
542 Posts
after reading this post, I tried mine. I cannot turn it off. If I push the power button the compass goes off but thats it. The power indicator on the right side of the mirror remains on. I tried holding the button or pushing it several times. The auto dimming feature is always on. That said, I would not turn it off anyway. Also, my last car had auto dimming and as soon as you turn it on it goes dark, no need for cars behind so I figure that is normal.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I just finished a road trip and tried this. Holding the button for about 4 seconds worked for me. I was able to turn the dimming on and off independently from the compass using this method.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
~Knocking dust off~

So I have tried to figure this out for awhile, but what is actually occurring when the rear view mirror auto dims? I realize it gets darker, but how?? Has anyone tried the disable feature as GAR mentioned above?

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
the feature uses a sensor- to look behind/in front of you.

this ifs how I think it works--- based on my observations...

Basically its a light sensor (resistor that measures light).
Based on its input- it sends a signal to the mirrors.

Using electricity--- it causes a chemical reaction to dim the mirror... i THINK its almost like the old liquid crystal displays--- apply electricity and it turned dark to display numbers.
In this case it dims it enough to make a car behind you not blind you...

Also- if you break one of these mirrors--- stuff will ooze out...
years ago I worked on a school project- that used one of these to sense whether it was day time or night time--- if it was nighttime- it allowed to device to water the lawn---- if it was daytime-- no watering took place...

a sensor.....

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
The LCD theory makes sense; almost seems like that is what is happening as the rearview mirror gets darker

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Thanks again rb :thumb:

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
I've had this on a few cars now and have never liked the view you get at night. The old fashioned flip mirror still works well for night dirving as far as I'm concerned.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
mikemu said:
I've had this on a few cars now and have never liked the view you get at night. The old fashioned flip mirror still works well for night dirving as far as I'm concerned.
Have you tried disabling the auto dim?

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
AA/78U-Blue Gold said:
Have you tried disabling the auto dim?
Honestly never knew you could.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I hoped in the Acadia tonight and tested out turning off the auto dim feature. I tried GAR's recommendation and pressed the power button on the mirror for 3-4 seconds. When I first pushed the button; the compass direction disappeared and stayed off while I kept the button pressed. I continued to watch the mirror and then the compass direction came back on and the auto dim feature was off. I could tell it was off because the Acadia was in the garage and the mirror was already "slightly dark" before I pressed the button. Once auto dim was off; I could see a color difference. I pressed the power button again, the compass disappeared and the mirror "darkened" up slightly, and the compass direction came back on.

Thanks to GAR for the tip; I don't think I would have ever tried to turn off auto dim.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I know this is an old post, I have read that the auto dim rear view mirror comes standard in a 2010 acadia, mine doesnt seem to work at all but i'm not sure, i have yet to really pay attention to it, I'll look at it tonight, my question is there is a power button on my mirror and of course the onstar buttons, is the light for the mirror or for the onstar, when i press the power button, it doesn't do anything even if i hold it for at least 4 seconds, but when i press the onstar button it blinks, my onstar is no longer hooked up because I replace the head unit with an after market.

Thanks
JD

Edit:: I just went outside to check the mirror and i just noticed there's a little light on the left side of the power button besides the one on the right side by the onstar buttons, the light is not lit up and wouldn't come onwhen i press button.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
If it's a 10, then I believe it's an SLE, someone check me on that. IIRC, the SL started with the 11 model year

Sent from my iPhone 3G S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was wondering if anything was resolved with this issue. My wife and I noticed that if you have the rear view camera that the power button usually associated with the on/off toggle of the auto dimming rearview mirror is assigned to turning the camera view on or off. The manual does not mention that the rear view auto dim function on/off is re-assigned anywhere. Has anyone else found another way to turn the auto dim function on/off?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts