GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now with cooler weather in Texas, I have noticed that the 'snowflake' button on the auto climate control panel stays on, even when warm air is blowing from the floor vents. I thought the snowflake looking button was for AC. :confused: It seems the button is on all the time. Is this normal operation?

Also, if the fan is blowing too high and I slow the fan speed down, the 'auto' text goes away. Will the system still hold the temp on the climate control display?

Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Re: assists step

Is there anyone who has an assists step in der Acadia?Pls send some pictures.I am planning to put asists step on my acadia slt 2 fwd.thanks anyway

·
Registered
384 Posts
avalon: you are a newbie, so I'll cut you some slack, but you need to pay attention to where you are posting your messages. :) This one has nothing to do with the thread that was started. ???

·
Registered
384 Posts
FRW: Seems I read in the manual someplace that the AC comes on to keep the windows from fogging up when you run the heat, or something like that. I will look it up later today. Confuses me too. ???

·
Registered
339 Posts
FRW,

My Acadia is still on order, so I can't speak to experience with it. But I can say that what you describe is exactly how the auto climate control works on my wife's Toyota.

The reason the fan is blowing hard is because there is likely a large discrepancy between the temp inside your vehicle and the temp that you've set the controls to. So it is blowing the fan hard to try to get the temperature close to the requested temp quickly.

I also think vic49 is correct about why the AC comes on sometimes.

Regards,
K

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
FRW said:
Now with cooler weather in Texas, I have noticed that the 'snowflake' button on the auto climate control panel stays on, even when warm air is blowing from the floor vents. I thought the snowflake looking button was for AC. :confused: It seems the button is on all the time. Is this normal operation?

Also, if the fan is blowing too high and I slow the fan speed down, the 'auto' text goes away. Will the system still hold the temp on the climate control display?

Thanks.
It is normal operation. If you are in AUTO mode, the A/C compressor (snowflake indicator) will be on unless the outside temperature drops to less than 40 deg. (it's in the owners manual), whether you want cool or warm air. When you have the temperature set to warm the vehicle the A/C compressor runs to remove moisture from the air even when it is not needed for cooling. You can manually turn off the compressor if you wish, but as long as the system in is AUTO mode, the compressor will run until it drops below 40.

As for the second question, the system will still attempt to hold your set temperature by adjusting the temperature of the air entering the vehicle, it just won't automatically adjust the fan speed anymore.

·
Registered
662 Posts
GeoHawk,
I have to diagree with you (of course I'm not 100% sure I am correct). When I push the "auto" button the AC button lights up, but if I then push the "AC" button the light goes off and compressor does not come on even though the "Auto" light is still on. I have done this in some warmer weather and the fan will blow like crazy trying to cool the vehicle down to the set temp, even though the outside temp is not low enough to achieve my setting. If I was too warm I'd hit the AC, but I tried to stay cool without the AC and its drop in MPG's.

Now in the cooler months I get in start up the Acadia and the controls come up on "Auto" and the temps wherever they were last set.

If you hit the fan control at any time, the "Auto" feature goes off.

Is that the same as your's?

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
tm59 said:
GeoHawk,
I have to diagree with you (of course I'm not 100% sure I am correct). When I push the "auto" button the AC button lights up, but if I then push the "AC" button the light goes off and compressor does not come on even though the "Auto" light is still on. I have done this in some warmer weather and the fan will blow like crazy trying to cool the vehicle down to the set temp, even though the outside temp is not low enough to achieve my setting. If I was too warm I'd hit the AC, but I tried to stay cool without the AC and its drop in MPG's.

Now in the cooler months I get in start up the Acadia and the controls come up on "Auto" and the temps wherever they were last set.

OK, try to stay with me here as I might even get myself confused. ;D Push the AUTO button puts the system in automatic mode: Fan, temp, a/c compressor, and airflow location (dash, floor, etc.). Pushing the A/C-snowflake will manually turn off the compressor, however, as you mentioned, the system will still try to automatically reach the desired temp by adjusting the fan speed, airflow location, air temperature (without the compressor) etc, and the AUTO indicators will stay on. I do this a lot when the weather cools as the compressor is not needed.

Manually adjusting the fan speed will turn off the AUTO indicator, but the system will still automatically adjust the air temperature and airflow location to attempt to reach your desired set temperature.

Manually adjusting the airflow location will turn off the AUTO indicator too, but the system will still automatically adjust the fan speed and air temperature to attempt to reach your desired set temp.

Or you can manually adjust both the fan speed and airflow location, but the system will still adjust the incoming air temperature to what you have set.

Clear as mud, huh? I was just reading over all this stuff in the owners manual. Both the systems in my truck and the Acadia work the same.

I was reading the even when you turn the whole system completely off, you can still adjust the air temperature and airflow locations. :confused:

·
Registered
662 Posts
GeoHawk,
I guess I misunderstood your previous post (that so long as the Auto was on then the compressor was running). I think you newest post and its decription is exactly what I have observed. It can be a bit confusing, but I think the system runs beautifully, it's just describing it to someone that's difficult. :thumb:

·
Registered
84 Posts
GeoHawk said:
tm59 said:
GeoHawk,

OK, try to stay with me here as I might even get myself confused. ;D Push the AUTO button puts the system in automatic mode: Fan, temp, a/c compressor, and airflow location (dash, floor, etc.). Pushing the A/C-snowflake will manually turn off the compressor, however, as you mentioned, the system will still try to automatically reach the desired temp by adjusting the fan speed, airflow location, air temperature (without the compressor) etc, and the AUTO indicators will stay on. I do this a lot when the weather cools as the compressor is not needed.

Manually adjusting the fan speed will turn off the AUTO indicator, but the system will still automatically adjust the air temperature and airflow location to attempt to reach your desired set temperature.

Manually adjusting the airflow location will turn off the AUTO indicator too, but the system will still automatically adjust the fan speed and air temperature to attempt to reach your desired set temp.

Or you can manually adjust both the fan speed and airflow location, but the system will still adjust the incoming air temperature to what you have set.

Clear as mud, huh? I was just reading over all this stuff in the owners manual. Both the systems in my truck and the Acadia work the same.

I was reading the even when you turn the whole system completely off, you can still adjust the air temperature and airflow locations. :confused:
Boy is that confusing. I assumed (and I'm sure I'm not alone) that when the Auto light goes off, the temperature control feature was turned off too. I always adjust the air location, because in Auto, all the heat comes out of the foot vents, and that drives me crazy. I hope you're right, because that means my system is still working, even though I thought I had been turning it off :)

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Oh, and one more thing I noticed. Even if you have the A/C button off, if you hit the recirc button the A/C compressor will come on without lighting up the snowflake. :drunk:

From the manual:

@(Recirculation): Press this button to turn
the recirculation mode on. When the button
is pressed, an indicator light comes on.

This mode keeps outside air from entering the
vehicle. It can be used to reduce outside air and
prevent odors from entering your vehicle.
Recirculation can also help cool the air inside your
vehicle more quickly once the temperature inside
the vehicle is less than the outside temperature.
The recirculation mode cannot be used with floor,
defrost, or defogging modes. If you try to select
recirculation in one of those modes, the indicator
flashes three times and turns off. The air
conditioning compressor also comes on when this
mode is activated.
While in recirculation mode the
windows may fog when the weather is cold and
damp. To clear the fog, select either the defog or
defrost mode and increase the fan speed.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Oh great... I'll never get it all staight! :confused:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, great info! Big Thanks to GeoHawk for all the details. Good to know the snowflake indicator staying on is normal operation. It just seems counter intuitive to see a snowflake light up when warm air is blowing. But, it seems the system is smarter than your average bear. 8)

·
Registered
812 Posts
i think i got drunk from reading the post..... :drunk:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Also running the a/c compressor during the winter months is a good thing to do as it keeps the seals in the compressor lubricated helping it last longer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am glad I checked in with this site tonight because I just had some major heartburn with my heating/cooling system today and figured it was yet another problem with my Acadia!! It seemed to do its own thing today, adjusting fan speed, temperature, settings, etc. I thought I had a poltergeist! >:D Anyway, I guess it is an educational issue! I really want to love this car, and I really hope this isn't a problem in my car! I have learned my lesson about buying a "new on the market" vehicle. I have had leaking, and popping/clunking noise issues, so I have come to expect the worst >:D everytime something peculiar happens!! :banghead: I will take my 600 mile trip this weekend and hopefully, I will have full use of my climate control system!! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts