GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had this applied? It is a product from ECP and it is not available to consumers. My father-in-law had it applied to my wife's car and I am not sure what the make up of it is and how well it works. I don't have any information on it, however I do know that it is due to be "renewed" as the protectant has faded or worn off. I am really wondering if this is just a fancy marketing ploy for your run of the mill teflon sealant.

My other consideration is this: I am considering buying a kit from Griot's (my uncle is a car enthusiast and swears by it) and applying sealant myself with a random orbital polisher. My only concern is whether or not I can strip the Auto Armor and apply the Griot's sealant. The results my uncle got were AMAZING. My dad actually though that my aunt's 6 year old car was brand new. Has anyone used these products from Griot's? I was going to use the clay, machine polish and sealant on our older car and then use the paint sealant on our new Acadia.

BTW - I have read all the posts on detailing and although I am impressed with the results, I am not going to go with Zaino. Just not my thing.

Any help would be appreciated. Also if anyone has any paperwork on Auto Armor or knows where I can get some I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
schaefsn said:
Has anyone had this applied? It is a product from ECP and it is not available to consumers. My father-in-law had it applied to my wife's car and I am not sure what the make up of it is and how well it works. I don't have any information on it, however I do know that it is due to be "renewed" as the protectant has faded or worn off. I am really wondering if this is just a fancy marketing ploy for your run of the mill teflon sealant.
All the "long term" protection plans are a waste of money...I can guarantee you that the protection is long gone after 4-6 months and probably sooner if you take your car to a car wash or use a gas station car wash.

Here is a post about this:
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=1723.msg32165#msg32165

My other consideration is this: I am considering buying a kit from Griot's (my uncle is a car enthusiast and swears by it) and applying sealant myself with a random orbital polisher.
Griot's are good products but IMHO are way overpriced If you only plan to apply a wax or sealant and not do any polishing, save your money and don't get a R/A machine. All non abrasive wax/sealants are top coats and don't need to be worked it. You just apply a thin coat to the paint and either wipe off immediately or let it haze then remove (depending on the product used).

My only concern is whether or not I can strip the Auto Armor and apply the Griot's sealant.
Any paint cleanser or polish will remove the Auto Armor...

The results my uncle got were AMAZING. My dad actually though that my aunt's 6 year old car was brand new. Has anyone used these products from Griot's? I was going to use the clay, machine polish and sealant on our older car and then use the paint sealant on our new Acadia.
Your Acadia will benefit from being clayed also.

BTW - I have read all the posts on detailing and although I am impressed with the results, I am not going to go with Zaino. Just not my thing.

Any help would be appreciated. Also if anyone has any paperwork on Auto Armor or knows where I can get some I would appreciate it.
The key to a great finish is the prep before apply a wax or sealant. Things like auto armor are not going to prevent things like wash/drying induced marring and scratches...these and etching from bird droppings, sap, water, etc are the things that dull the modern clear coat paint not oxidation. The best way to prevent washing/drying induced marring is proper washing and drying techniques.

Clearcoated paint is harder and they don't oxidize like single stage paints, so when the paint looks dull or faded it because of the imperfection in the paint not oxidation.

My website goes over all the steps for a full detail that might help:

http://paintcarendetailing.com

·
Registered
88 Posts
Forget Armor All. Use aerospace 303. http://www.303products.com/

That has UV protection, has a nice matte finish an the choice of many professionals. I have been using it for years and my dash has never faded and looks awesome. I also use the carpet cleaner which is near magical.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts