GMC Acadia Forum banner

Audio/Entertainment Question

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  gnarboots11 
#1 ·
I am currently shopping for an Acadia, but I am a little confused about the audio/entertainment options.

My main question is concerning the navigation option. We don't necessarily want the navigation system, but we want the touch screen radio controls, etc. Is this even an option, or do you have to get the navigation package to get the video screen?

Second, why is the navigation package only available in the SLT2? Most of the options that are added from the SLT1 to the SLT2 are things we don't care about, but it looks like we would have to get the SLT2 to get navigation???

Thanks for the help.

#3 ·
You have to get Nav for the touchscreen. I would recommend to anyone to not get the factory nav and instead go aftermarket. You could get a Nav system with both Sirius and XM, and a hard drive, and bluetooth, and 7" touch screen, and more for as much as the factory is charging. Especially in your case you would be better served getting the SLT-1 with whatever options you are looking for then getting aftermarket navigation.

#4 ·
gnarboots11 said:
You have to get Nav for the touchscreen. I would recommend to anyone to not get the factory nav and instead go aftermarket. You could get a Nav system with both Sirius and XM, and a hard drive, and bluetooth, and 7" touch screen, and more for as much as the factory is charging. Especially in your case you would be better served getting the SLT-1 with whatever options you are looking for then getting aftermarket navigation.
Would the aftermarket be compatible with the Rear DVD and allow my wife and I to listen to XM while kids watch videos?

#5 ·
If you must have touch screen radio you have to go with the Nav or go aftermarket, I do not think there is an aftermarket radio that is integrated with the Rear DVD. I have to say that in regards to the NAV, I would also go with an aftermarket handheld, my wife just left on a long road trip in the Suburban and I purchased her a Garmin Nuvi 360, I learned that device in one night, very intuitive and easy to use, the maps seem to be up to date and finding POI's were easy. I have had my Acadia with Nav for 4 months and still do not know how to use every option, the maps do not seem updated (although I have just ordered the new disk) - anyway you can save almost 2 grand and get a Garmin or similar in replacement to the factory NAV - although I do like the big screen.

#6 ·
pretty positive they are compatible with the rear DVD and everything else. According to crutchfield one of the questions it asks is if you have a rear DVD system and it uses that to determine which Nav would work for you. So if they ask that question in the first place then I imagine it will work. As far as all the other things like On Star, the steering wheel controls, etc. you just have to get the right connectors to hook it all up. There is a thread about this in one of the sections. People have gotten this done at places like circuit city, or did it themselves.

#7 ·
Steve b,

If you are at all interested in the Backup camera, then that only comes with the NAV too.

That being said though, you could go aftermarket with that as well as most aftermarket integrated NAV in-dash units will have an extra video in port on the back for this purpose.

I'm in a similar situation with you but when I priced out getting an In-dash aftermarket NAV unit that would have all the features I want (NAV, B/U camera, bluetooth, radio, etc... + installation costs including GMLAN cable and labor), it wasn't really all that much of a savings in my opinion.

But bottom line if you are just looking to get a NAV function then you can definitely save a bunch of money by just getting a portable Garmin-like unit.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the help.

I think the SLT1 with an aftermarket NAV is a better choice for me. I am a SIRIUS subscriber, so that would allow me to get an integrated SIRIUS receiver too.

Questions I still have:
- will the dvd system work with an aftermarket nav system
- will the rear audio controls and the cargo area controls work
- what (if any) features am i losing by going aftermarket

if anyone knows of a place where this is discussed in this forum, please let me know. i haven't been able to find anything.

#9 ·
from crutchfiled:

pioneer avic-d3 dvd/nav in dash system $899.99
ipod adapter $29.99
sirius receiver $99.99
rear-view camera $249.99
installation $199.99
total $1,479.95

- save $2,145 by going with SLT1 instead of SLT2
- save $665 aftermarket over nav option
- total savings $2,810 off msrp

please correct me if my number are off

#10 ·
ya plus you get the sirius that you would have wanted anyways. I want to switch my XM to sirius but the thing isnt even out yet to do it, and when it does come out its probably going to cost $200. So I figure I might as well get Nav that has sirius.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.