GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!
I just noticed than the coating for the black crome grille is starting to peel off on 2020 AT4 in about a dozen areas Has anybody experienced this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I purchased my 2020 AT4 last August and this Canadian spring has been ROUGH on the darker chrome trim.

I haven't taken it to the dealer yet but am slightly curious why this wasn't wrapped with the 3M wrap that was applied to the rest of the front of the vehicle. Not sure if I just leave it and hope it doesn't get worse or if we go ahead and just vinyl wrap the pieces with something more durable than the GM dip.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi! I purchased my 2020 AT4 last August and this Canadian spring has been ROUGH on the darker chrome trim.

I haven't taken it to the dealer yet but am slightly curious why this wasn't wrapped with the 3M wrap that was applied to the rest of the front of the vehicle. Not sure if I just leave it and hope it doesn't get worse or if we go ahead and just vinyl wrap the pieces with something more durable than the GM dip.
Canadian Winter or not it should not be peeling off so easily. I made a call to the dealer and they will look at it next week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi folks!
I just noticed than the coating for the black crome grille is starting to peel off on 2020 AT4 in about a dozen areas Has anybody experienced this?
Yep, mine is doing the same. I bought mine new a year ago, it's a 2020. I noticed a couple of months ago when I was washing it that there were multiple spots that seemed to be peeling off. I took it to the dealership and they claim they hadn't seen any one else with the issue and agreed to replace the areas at no cost to me. My concern is that it will keep happening. I store my vehicle in the garage, I live in Ohio, and don't drive on rough (gravel) roads. I was hoping it was a manufacturing defect.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I'm guessing it's a tinted clear coat product sprayed onto the chrome plate on the plastic grille.

What about the tinted applique on the rear hatch between the tail lights? No sign of that peeling?

Perhaps it starts with a small ding from pebbles or nasty insect guts. Then it starts to peel? Just thinking out loud.

It could be a lack of proper surface preparation before the "smoke" tinted coat is applied.

Either way, whatever coating the tint is it should not be that fragile to start peeling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm guessing it's a tinted clear coat product sprayed onto the chrome plate on the plastic grille.

What about the tinted applique on the rear hatch between the tail lights? No sign of that peeling?

Perhaps it starts with a small ding from pebbles or nasty insect guts. Then it starts to peel? Just thinking out loud.

It could be a lack of proper surface preparation before the "smoke" tinted coat is applied.

Either way, whatever coating the tint is it should not be that fragile to start peeling.
No signs that the rear areas are peeling, yet. Like you pointed out, it could be from stone chips? Or just the friction of air hitting the surface all the time.
Regardless, the film or tint should NOT be coming off, at all. An entire new black chrome grill is $500 USD I think.
The dealership suggested I try and find some kind of product or application to apply and try to better protect the surface. No idea what that would be, what product.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
No signs that the rear areas are peeling, yet. Like you pointed out, it could be from stone chips? Or just the friction of air hitting the surface all the time.
Regardless, the film or tint should NOT be coming off, at all. An entire new black chrome grill is $500 USD I think.
The dealership suggested I try and find some kind of product or application to apply and try to better protect the surface. No idea what that would be, what product.
There are products like the 3M clear film that can be applied. They even make kits for some vehicles sized to fit or a person can fit and trim. Not sure if any exist for Acadia.

I've also seen some spray on clear protectant films.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is what mine is doing. 2020 AT4 with 3,800 miles on it. Parts are being replaced tomorrow but my concern is the viability of the replacement parts?? Will they start to peel as well??

Attachments

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
This is what mine is doing. 2020 AT4 with 3,800 miles on it. Parts are being replaced tomorrow but my concern is the viability of the replacement parts?? Will they start to peel as well??
Looks like improper prep on an existing grill bezel, instead of creating the part from scratch.

·
Super Moderator
22,593 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yep, mine is doing the same. I bought mine new a year ago, it's a 2020. I noticed a couple of months ago when I was washing it that there were multiple spots that seemed to be peeling off. I took it to the dealership and they claim they hadn't seen any one else with the issue and agreed to replace the areas at no cost to me. My concern is that it will keep happening. I store my vehicle in the garage, I live in Ohio, and don't drive on rough (gravel) roads. I was hoping it was a manufacturing defect.
Hi! I bought the Black At4 with dark chrome in May 2029. My chrome is peeling in front. I argued with the dealership and GMC and was told it was “normal wear and tear” which I said was total BS. I told them it was a design defect and got absolutely nowhere. It’s a shame that a car we paid a lot of money for can not stand up to normal wear and tear.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Trim today is mostly crap. It is just plastic chrome and the black tint is just sprayed on.

They get away with it in most areas but if you live out in the country or mountains these trim parts take a royal beating.

Same on the Chrome truck wheels.

You can get clear paint protection on the Chrome. Many people skip it or pass as it removes some of the gloss from the chrome look.

as how it is handled the black should be covered as it should not be coming off that bad. I would stick to it and be a pain till they replace it.

Now if it shows any stone damage that is wear and tear.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
as how it is handled the black should be covered as it should not be coming off that bad. I would stick to it and be a pain till they replace it.

Now if it shows any stone damage that is wear and tear.
I disagree. I think the peeling is just normal wear on tear on something exposed to the elements and other road hazards on the front of a vehicle.

If it bothered me, I would mask it up and shoot some Plasti Dip on it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I disagree. I think the peeling is just normal wear on tear on something exposed to the elements and other road hazards on the front of a vehicle.

If it bothered me, I would mask it up and shoot some Plasti Dip on it.
Depends. If it is just pealing just because it is peaking it is GMs issue, If it is stone damage it’s on you.

No different than chipped paint Vs flaking paint. Not my opinion just how it is handled. That is all I stated.

Plasti Dip :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
22,593 Posts
It would only be covered under the new car B2B warranty. Doubtful any extended service plan would pay to replace exterior trim.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts