GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had our '08 Acadia for just over a year and absolutely loved it, until recently. At around 32,000 miles, the error messages started and it has been downhill since then. It has been in the shop 6 times since March. Finally decided to replace the head, but it has been in shop for 2 weeks now and the engine is sitting on the shop floor as we speak. When we went in yesterday, the service mgr told us that the mechanic would "lose his *** working on warranty problems" so they are only working on it when they don't have anything else to do. From what we can tell from other dealerships, there was no reason to drop the engine, so now I'm wondering if it will ever be right again, and what's to keep the other head from doing the same thing in a few months? We have gone through customer service, etc. and but only since I filed a claim with the BBB have I gotten any serious attention. I can tell you that this is effective if you are having a problem and encourage everyone to report to BBB - hopefully it will wake them out of their stupor. It got a response withing 24 hrs, which was better than other ways I had tried. I'm thinking the best thing to do is ask for an '09 replacement. Can anyone who has gone this route offer any advice?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Welcome to the forum & sorry to hear about the large problem. At least you're still in warranty range.

IMO, it's inexcusable for the dealer to sideline your job so as to get some customer pay (opposite of warranty claims) work in the shop. I'm pleased & surprised the BBB was so helpful. In my experiences with them, they were more of a reporting agency vs. a get something done one.

If you think it may help, do any of your local TV/news outlets have a "troubleshooter" type of person that handles citizen complaints? This may also help get the ball rolling on your repair if they can shine some light on the dealer's practices like this one, since it sounds like you're not the only one this is happening to. GM should also have a zone service rep beyond the dealer level. Look on page 7-2 of your 2008 owner manual (available here as a PDF document- search for manuals as described below) for what to do:
STEP TWO: If after contacting a member of dealership management, it appears your concern cannot be resolved by the dealership without further help, in the U.S., contact the GMC Consumer Relations Manager by calling 1-800-GMC-8782 (1-800-462-8782, Customer Assistance prompt).

We've had a few members get a replacement vehicle and post about it here. If you search (see my signature for how to do this) for "buy back" in the topic w/ most recent results first you'll find the threads and you can message the members directly to glean their advice.

Good luck with the repair.

Also, from looking at the engine bay, if the head that had to come off was the rear one, I suspect dropping the motor would be the best way to perform the task.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts