GMC Acadia Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Irish said:
Well you've all convinced me to give it a try. :)
Me too. Looks like you have to use the ZFX accelerater after/with the first app. Then you layer with Z-2 followed by Z-6. Is this how you see it?

Zaino Simplified

YOU CHOOSE your surface preparation:
After thoroughly washing your vehicle, feel your paint and look at it closely.
Even on brand new cars, if your paint isn’t smooth, use Z-18 to repair the contaminated rough surfaces.
If the paint looks dull, scratched or swirled, use Z-PC to correct the surface.
Clean the surface further to setup the best conditions with Z-AIO, or use Z-AIO by itself.
YOU CHOOSE your Zaino foundation:
Z-AIO or ZFX is a mandatory part of the Zaino system. You can either use Z-AIO or ZFX as the base to the Zaino system. Z-AIO or ZFX must be used as an initial base and every 6 months on street driven cars or once a year on show cars. To apply multiple coats of Zaino in one day, use ZFX.

YOU CHOOSE your Zaino shine:
For lighter colored vehicles, use Z-2 PRO to brighten the color with greater optics.
Use Z-3 in place of Z-2 for old cars with single stage paints or non-clearcoated vehicles.
For dark colored vehicles, use Z-5 PRO to deepen the color. Also use Z-5 PRO to minimize appearance of light swirls.
To apply multiple coats of Zaino in one day, you must use ZFX.
To extend gloss and protection further, use Z-CS on top of Z-AIO, Z-2, Z-5 or by itself.

YOU CHOOSE your maintenance:
Wash your car using Z-7 car wash.
For quick cleanup between washings, use Z-6 Gloss Enhancing Detail Spray.
For a boost in gloss and durability after every wash, use Z-8 Grand Finale.

YOU CHOOSE interior & exterior products:
For leather cleaning & conditioning, choose Z-9 and Z-10.
To polish exterior water spots, stains, or wiper trails on glass, use Z-12.
To polish scratches and swirls in plastic lenses, use Z-14.
For a lasting satin finish on clean tires, use Z-16.

[/color]

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would go with the AIO, Z2, and Z-8 to start. If you want to really go in strong add a clay bar to the order.

·
Registered
370 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Irish said:
Looks good to me. I'm just going to follow the application instructions on their website. http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Z&Category_Code=APPLICATION Waiting for our first 7 day forecast that does not include rain.
In the past I've tried a polymer-base product. As it wore off it came off in white layers. Good thing it was on the wheels and tires. I wonder if this stuff will do that? Ever since that I've been skidish adding sealant to the paint.

·
Registered
370 Posts
eljones247 said:
In the past I've tried a polymer-base product. As it wore off it came off in white layers. Good thing it was on the wheels and tires. I wonder if this stuff will do that? Ever since that I've been skidish adding sealant to the paint.
If GAR & Admin say it's good....then that's good enough for me. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
So I spent the last 30 mins on the Zaino site; read all their tips/tricks; so my question concerns durability. As most of you know; I live in a hot, dry and dusty part of the country and wax durability is an issue. Can anyone atest to the durability of Zaino?

EDIT: Here are some pics of an Outlook that I got from their site; looks good :thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
So I spent the last 30 mins on the Zaino site; read all their tips/tricks; so my question concerns durability. As most of you know; I live in a hot, dry and dusty part of the country and wax durability is an issue. Can anyone atest to the durability of Zaino?

EDIT: Here are some pics of an Outlook that I got from their site; looks good
Do you park in the garage?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
That's my Outlook. You can find the same pictures posted at the beginning of this thread. I submitted them to Zaino and they posted them.

Let me sum up all the questions in one sentence:

Zaino is the best wax out there.

Your question about durability is innocuous. It is the most durable wax I have used, but I live in South Florida. I also properly prepare my surfaces and use proper application and removal methods which makes a tremendous difference.

AA/78U-Blue Gold said:

EDIT: Here are some pics of an Outlook that I got from their site; looks good :thumb:

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
JF7FSU said:
That's my Outlook. You can find the same pictures posted at the beginning of this thread. I submitted them to Zaino and they posted them.

Let me sum up all the questions in one sentence:

Zaino is the best wax out there.

Your question about durability is innocuous. It is the most durable wax I have used, but I live in South Florida. I also properly prepare my surfaces and use proper application and removal methods which makes a tremendous difference.
OK thanks for the info; on average how long do you go between waxes?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I have 3 cars I use Zaino on.
Acadia - Garage kept and not used as a daily commuter. I put Zaino on it when I got it in Sept 07. I reapplied in Sept 09 but it was still beading and seemed to be protecting just fine. So every 2 years for this car.
Tracker - Garage kept but used as a daily commuter. Seems to last well for 18 months but by 2 years is worn out. I should do this one once every 18 months or sooner.
Vibe - Daily commuter and is outside all the time. It lasts on this car for 1 year for sure but by 18 months it really needs done again. This car should be done once per year or sooner.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
GAR said:
Acadia - Garage kept and not used as a daily commuter. I put Zaino on it when I got it in Sept 07. I reapplied in Sept 09 but it was still beading and seemed to be protecting just fine. So every 2 years for this car.
Tracker - Garage kept but used as a daily commuter. Seems to last well for 18 months but by 2 years is worn out. I should do this one once every 18 months or sooner.
Vibe - Daily commuter and is outside all the time. It lasts on this car for 1 year for sure but by 18 months it really needs done again. This car should be done once per year or sooner.

Hope that helps.
Impressive; my Acadia is a daily commuter but is parked in a garage all day; this Zaino stuff is looking better and better :thumb:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I did carnauba products for years. I've been using Zaino 10 years now. Originally started on my collector cars but it was a no-brainer to also apply to the daily driver.

6 months production with ease.

11 coats on the Acadia now. I put 4 coats on last weekend in a couple of hours. I'm good until the fall now. The vehicle looks good enough to take to a car show too. :thumb:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I put 4 coats on last weekend in a couple of hours. I'm good until the fall now.
So your putting on 8 coats a year? Holly Cow.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
eljones247 said:
Layering seems to be the key to this whole process; the web site says 3 layers

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
GAR said:

Hope that helps.
Layering is good and if you look at the website there are many different products of Zaino. So just as a reference, all the above applications were done with one coat of ZAIO and an immediate follow up with Z2. I did not use and additional coats or any of the accelerators or sprays that can make it even better.

·
Registered
40 Posts
eljones247 said:
This time -- 3 coats Z-2 and 1 coat Z-CS.

I didn't have to put that many on but I like the extra shine. 1 coat will still protect the car for 6 months.

The tighter and smaller the water beads the more protection you have.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
I'll chime in here again as a big Zaino fan. First I'll address the zaino "process" that seems to confuse or scare a lot of people. The truth is, ANY quality car polish system requires that you understand what each product does, it's cure times, etc Zaino just goes more in depth with their explanation of the chemistry involved than most and therefore makes people think it's more difficult than others. It's not, you just have more "cure time" options. I won't cover every product, but here's a quick rundown of the main ones and why their terminology sometimes confuses those used to other brands. Anytime a word appears below in red[/color], that's the equivalent 'term' used by most other car wax brands)

ANNUAL USE PRODUCTS:

Z-18 - Claybar : Like any other brand, a CLAYBAR[/color] is used to remove embedded paint contaminants that can't be removed by washing alone. Put your hand in a sandwich bag and run it over your freshly washed (and still wet) paint. it should feel as smooth as glass. If it feels bumpy, like sand, you need to clay your car! Generally, this should be done about once a year.

Z-PC - This is Zaino's most aggressive (but still mild compared to a lot of other brands) abrasive swirl and scratch remover. This cannot be layered, as it will strip EVERYTHING that is on your clearcoat off, including the top layer of clearcoat itself, which is exactly what a swirl and haze remover[/color] is designed to do! Those swirls are tiny scratches IN the clearcoat. To remove them, you have to shave down extremely thin layers of clearcoat so that they are the same height as the scratches. This product should ONLY be used to correct the paint (once a year AT MOST), but once you correct your paint, if you use the correct washing methods and use a quality wax or polish on it, you should RARELY have to correct it again with Z-PC. Once every 2-3 years!

SEASONAL USE / BASECOAT PRODUCTS:

Z-AIO - This is a hybrid cleaner/polish, which means it has the properties of both Z2 (sealant - WAX[/color]) AND Z-PC (scratch remover - POLISH[/color]). This product cannot be layered since it contains abrasives. That means when you use it, it tends to remove whatever was on your car, including previous layers of Polish (Z2, Z5, etc). This should be used every 6 months or so as a base coat before you start layering Z2 or Z5 on top of it. You'd use this product when you have light swirl marks or scratches that you want to buff out before sealing them in with a polish - too many to ignore completely, too few to fully attack with Z-PC.

FREQUENT USE / LAYERABLE PRODUCTS:

Z-2 - This is the main (sealant[/color]) polish and the cornerstone to the Zaino product line. This will be what you layer on your car, like a WAX[/color], for shine and protection. It can be used without ZFX (more on ZFX below), but the downside is you have to wait at LEAST 24 hours between layers to allow it to "cure" (which means to fully dry, harden and bond with the clearcoat to form a protective barrier).

Z-5 - Similar to Z2, but with more filler and less shine. This can be layered and used with (or in place of) Z2. It does a better job of hiding very light swirls and scratches, but at the cost of depth of shine. If you have a dark colored paint, I would use layer Z5, Z2, Z5, Z2, etc. this will give you the best combination of filler and shine. For lighter cars, Z5 isn't really necessary.

DAILY / WEEKLY USE PRODUCTS:

Z6 - This is Zaino's Detail Spray[/color]. This has many uses. Think of it as 'enhanced water' - I use it after every polish layer to make sure I've removed all the residue from buffing. About every other day, I give my car a quick dusting with a california car duster (to knock off the pollen), then use Z6 to remove any fingerprints, bugs, water spots, etc. Basically bringing the car back to the shine it had an hour after you washed and waxed it, all in about 5 minutes. Use it as a lubricant when you claybar, spray it on a wet car after washing to slick up the water and help it sheet off without leaving spots, it's very versatile! You'll use a lot of this :)

Z8 - Grand Finale is a spray seal - kind of like Z6 on steroids! It's completely unnecessary, but like Z6, you spray it on and wipe it off (like windex). Unlike Z6 it TOTALLY brings out the shine in your paint! Honestly, I think it looks like you added another layer of Zaino! Expensive, but awesome.

ZFX, CURE TIMES and DURABILITY

Ok, There's nowhere else to put this product, so it gets its own category and we'll talk about durability at the same time. Someone asked about Zaino's durability. If Zaino were ONLY known for one strength above all others, it's durability! This stuff will outlast almost every other product made, and certainly anything in its price range! The reason is, unlike a lot of other products, it's designed to chemically bond with the clearcoat of your car to create a VERY hard, durable layer of protection. However, this chemical reaction is not fast. In fact, it takes at least 24 hours, and if it rains on the car or there's a LOT of humidity, it'll take even longer. This is why you cannot put more than one layer of Z2 or Z5 on your car in a day. That is, unless another chemical is added to the equation. If you want to speed up and enhance that chemical bond, you can use...

ZFX! This product is not used by itself. It's a little vial of clear liquid with a dropper. To use it, you put an ounce of Z2 (or Z5) in one of the included containers along with 4 DROPS of ZFX, then shake vigorously. You may ask why Z2 doesn't just come with ZFX mixed in from the start? Think of it like an epoxy. Once the chemicals in ZFX mix with the polishes in Z2 and Z5, the chemical reaction starts immediately. In fact, if you don't use a mixed bottle of ZFX infused Z2/Z5 within a few hours, it's useless! It won't bond to the car because you missed the chemical reaction window. This odd mix-at-home "chemistry set" portion of Zaino is what makes it SO durable compared to other brands, but also what scares most people away! The truth is, it's VERY easy to use, assuming you want the fast curing, multi-layered ability it affords. Once I ran out of ZFX, I didn't order more. instead, I just limit myself to a single layer of Z2 each "outing". I'll wash my car and add another single layer of Z2, then finish it off with either Z6 or Z8. Since I don't put multiple layers on in less than 24 hours, ZFX isn't necessary.

Ok, so now that you have an explanation of the main Zaino products, here's a quick and dirty guide to what you should do.

1) Wash your Car! (you can use Z7 car wash or any quality car wash brand, such as Meguiars gold class) See my post on How to Wash your car without damaging the paint
2) Check for contaminants (sandwich baggy check) -
If Yes, CLAY your car!
If no, skip to #4
3) If you clayed, Wash your car again! This will remove all the clay residue.
4) Check for swirl marks and scratches. Do this with a bright light source (the sun, flashlight/floodlight, etc) You can't see minor swirls in the shade
Yes, BAD swirls and scratches - use Z-PC with an orange pad to remove them
Yes, but just minor swirls or light scratches - use Z-AIO as your basecoat.
No, my paint is in pretty good condition - skip to #5
5) I'm going ALL OUT and putting on multiple coats this weekend. Max protection for me, baby!
If Yes, then mix 1 ounce of your polish (Z2 or Z5) with 4 drops of ZFX
No, I don't have 6 hours to dedicate to waxing my car today. Just one coat for me. skip to #6
6) Protect that clean, swirl free paintjob with a sealant polish! Is your paint dark or light?
Dark Paint - use Z5 as your first polish coat
Light Paint - use Z2 as your first polish coat
7) Use Z6 detail spray with a good microfiber towel to wipe down all the paint panels

Optional:
8 ) After cure time (+1hr with ZFX, +24hr without), add second layer of Z2, then Z6, repeat until your eyes bleed from the shine.
9) Finish off with a final coat of Z8 and enter your ride in the nearest car show! Await trophy :)

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
:popcorn: and a :beer: while I read that post from admin..........

41 - 60 of 63 Posts