GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I have not. Seems to be a bit like one of those "too good to be true" things.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If its anything like the Mr Clean nozzle that has the filter for the water and the soap built into it they dont work worth a crap.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have tried something similar I purchased at Lowes, it has the screw on cup on the bottom that you can fill with your detergent. I found that it does allow you to cover the car with soap that has been mixed with the water but I also found it uses way to much of the soap detergent (I used the entire cup full before I was half done with the wash) normally I put a few caps full into a bucket. If you do not mind going through a lot of auto detergent then it does work.

·
Registered
75 Posts
On detailing sites I have seen many reviews on the ones like you posted from Lowe's, Target, etc., and they usually do not meet expectations. Usually too much soap used with not enough foaming on the paint. These:

http://www.detailersdomain.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=99

on the other hand, lay down a pretty good foam pattern on your paint. A lot of folks use something like this on extremely dirty cars to help loosen debris first and then rinse it off. This would then be followed by a traditional 2 bucket wash (1 bucket for rinsing wash mitt and the 2nd for your wash).

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I have the Mr Clean system and use diluted Mequiers shampoo with satisfactory results time to time when I don't want to drive across town to the brushless. I spray clear water followed with foam starting with the wheels and use a brush. Then I move to the top with wash mitt and work my way down. I spray the mitt with clear water and do the next section. 'NO BUCKETS'. After shampooing each section using wash mitt, I follow with filter water spray. I make sure I wash when the metal is NOT hot. Basically, I have the gun in one hand and the wash mitt on the other. I remove the front end bugs first, using Pinnacles Scrub & Tar Pad. I like the gun using diluted Mequiers shampoo and filtered water leaves no water spots. I have used the leave blower on occassion too. I keep the gun hooked up to the garden hose all summer for past 2 years. Yes, you do have to use a wash mitt to remove dirt. This is a fast method for me, quick and easy.

·
Registered
428 Posts
My issue with the Mr Clean thing is that the filter does not filter enough out of my water. I still end up with spots on the paint. Plus it uses a lot of soap where when i use a bucket i only use a capful or so.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I tried the Mr. clean long ago when it first came out and was not that good at all.

I have been in detailing since '77 and have found if you place a softwater system in series with your water lines you will have a better wash job/results. 

I'm luck with where I live, I have a house and a exterior water main (for those times they restrict lawn watering).  I put in place a HOT & COLD water faucet in my garage as well as plumped my water softner into my garage via the house plumping.

When I retired from the USAF I was lucky to work for a friend for 6 months and help him in his business and learned a lot in plumbing and quality watering systems.  I was blown away when I saw the Kentico system at Home Depot the other day. 
If any you are serious about soft water in your house it is worth looking into.  The system has two tanks and one is always on line, where as electric units are single tank and regenerate at certain times and won't carry the soft water through high demand times (when doing multiple laundry loads or when company comes over for the holidays).  I have had my Kentico K30 for 14 yrs and have only added Morton salt pellets every 6 months.

As you can see I have built a manifold in case I have I have to take my system off line.

In the garage:

Soft water system:

BTW, my wife loves the soft water in the shower and her clothes last longer and get clean in lighter loads vs heavy.  And my wife is ALWAYS RIGHT!!!

Also, a big FYI... if you are into bottled water or those big 5-gallon units in your kitchen... get yourself a Whirpool $180 R.O. unit from the hardware store.  The sink mounted unit will safe you HUGE $$$ vs the other items I mentioned.
When I worked for my friend we sold $600 + R.O. units and I did a water analysis on the Whirpool vs what we sold and there as very same.  Stop throwing money out the door get one now!!!  I like to save a buck just like you.  My wife calls me the budget guy/pack rat!  Hey, I'm almost 50 and have been around the block.

If you need any help hooking any of these items up or have questions on anything. Please PM me or email me. I'm here to help you!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I used the Mr. Clean system on my brand spanking new 2009 Acadia yesterday (the vehicle got a bit dirty over it's first weekend on wet roads). The system worked fine - the car dried itself in a couple of hours with no water spots. The windshield, mirrors, and crome came out clean and without water spots. I washed the car at night in cold weather; longer drying time but not problems with soaping and rinsing that could occur on a sunny day. Not having to hand dry the vehicle with towels is a definite plus.

I'm going to continue using the system throughout the winter. :cheers:

·
Registered
533 Posts
N-skier,

Glad it worked for you. Can you update your signature to include your Acadia model and also your location?

Thx,

Smooth[/color] <><

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I have the Gilmour foam gun and love it check out www.paintcaredetailing.com. Look for videos and select foam gun demo. It won't dry your car but it helps wAsh and reduces scratches. Mr Clean didn't work well for me. Water is still to hard. My brother uses it on the harley and loves it. But that is slot smaller then the Acadia

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Nice set up; yeah I think it's time for some washing/waxing etc :thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts